Excessive DEF consumption, 2019 Denali Duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) Postings of Tech Service info for any New L5P engine issues.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Excessive DEF consumption, 2019 Denali Duramax

I have just over 13,000 miles on my 2019 GMC Sierra Denali Duramax now, all has been OK until this trip. My fuel mileage had been increasing, etc. as the miles went on. This trip, my DEF usage has gone to 7 gallons every 1500+ miles, fuel mileage has dropped to 9 mpg (it had been over 12 towing), I don't get the usual DEF notifications. No 30% or 1000 mile notification, just an Action Required Now-engine will shut down in 500 miles. The power seems to be OK. I have taken it to a shop on this trip, they checked the system for leaks and said they make some ECM updates--it didn't change anything. I have a GM reference number now so I'll be taking it in when I get home. Just wondering if anyone has any info I can help the dealer with. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 PM

Did you fill the DEF tank before you left? I ended up adding 7 gallons on my new truck on a trip over the first 1500 miles but clearly it was only at the minimum levels when I picked it up new. Since then it has settled into expected usage. If it were mine, I would just keep driving it until the warning comes on. Keep a 2.5 gallon DEF container in the truck just in case.

2018 Duramax GMC 2500
2006 VW Jetta TDI
2000 VW New Beetle TDI Retired after deer hit
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 03:04 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Nutdriver,

Not sure about everyone else but I've done some extensive calculations since I got my truck and figured out that my DEF was being used at a rate of about 777 mi/gal of DEF. Was fun when I went to the dealer after they did my first maintenance and I had to school them on the calculations I did: I asked before they performed the maintenance if they were going to top off my DEF tank since it was at 14% when I brought it in and they said yes, only to discover that a week later it was reading low... I ended up going back to ask them how this was possible and they tried to tell me there might be a leak- I told them I had already checked myself and there was no leak or cracks or anything I could see but that they were welcome to check it but I was pretty sure they didn't fill it. After a lot of back and forth the manager came out and tried to BS me that they had filled up my DEF tank. He was really surprised when I showed him my calculations on this as well and that my numbers showed they must've only put 1 gallon, just enough to indicate the level was "OK", or else something was seriously wrong with the truck and that being the case I wanted them to figure it out and prove it to me. At that point he had no choice but to admit they must've only put 1 gallon, not topped it off. I asked if that was standard practice and he beat around the bush and ultimately said yes, they just put enough to get rid of the percentage warning which I think is ridiculous because if they're supposed to top off fluids at a maintenance interval, this should be included IMO. Anyhow, my calculations have been spot on so far with the 777 mi/gal estimate. I'm sure driving habits can make that differ but that's how mine has been.

On a side note, couldn't help but notice your TDIs in your signature. I had a 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Opted for the buyback and turned her in Nov. 2018 and upgraded to my truck. Got $28,300 from VW for my wagon with over 65k mi. on it. Miss that wagon, was getting 40-55 mpg with it. Enjoy your TDI.

2018 GMC 2500 Denali HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderWoman View Post
Nutdriver,

Not sure about everyone else but I've done some extensive calculations since I got my truck and figured out that my DEF was being used at a rate of about 777 mi/gal of DEF. Was fun when I went to the dealer after they did my first maintenance and I had to school them on the calculations I did: I asked before they performed the maintenance if they were going to top off my DEF tank since it was at 14% when I brought it in and they said yes, only to discover that a week later it was reading low... I ended up going back to ask them how this was possible and they tried to tell me there might be a leak- I told them I had already checked myself and there was no leak or cracks or anything I could see but that they were welcome to check it but I was pretty sure they didn't fill it. After a lot of back and forth the manager came out and tried to BS me that they had filled up my DEF tank. He was really surprised when I showed him my calculations on this as well and that my numbers showed they must've only put 1 gallon, just enough to indicate the level was "OK", or else something was seriously wrong with the truck and that being the case I wanted them to figure it out and prove it to me. At that point he had no choice but to admit they must've only put 1 gallon, not topped it off. I asked if that was standard practice and he beat around the bush and ultimately said yes, they just put enough to get rid of the percentage warning which I think is ridiculous because if they're supposed to top off fluids at a maintenance interval, this should be included IMO. Anyhow, my calculations have been spot on so far with the 777 mi/gal estimate. I'm sure driving habits can make that differ but that's how mine has been.

On a side note, couldn't help but notice your TDIs in your signature. I had a 2014 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Opted for the buyback and turned her in Nov. 2018 and upgraded to my truck. Got $28,300 from VW for my wagon with over 65k mi. on it. Miss that wagon, was getting 40-55 mpg with it. Enjoy your TDI.
Wonderwoman - I have not tried to be that precise in part because my DEF tank was clearly not full when I picked up my truck new. I am trying to not fill the DEF tank until I get the first 30% warning and noting the miles driven at that point. I am trying to then fill the tank and drive until I get another 30% warning. I would then know roughly how many miles I am getting per refill. My use seems to be within expected levels.

When I had my vehicle serviced for one of the free oil change services, I had asked before the visit and they indicated that they would add 1 gallon to my DEF. I am not sure in hindsight that was done since it was not listed on my service record.

The VW TDI Jetta has been a great daily driver. I have 280,000 miles on it currently. Prior to this 2006 VW, I had a 2000 TDI with 160,000 miles totaled by a deer hit. Both have been reliable cars and the 41-45 mpg has been great. Not unusual to see 60+ mpg when driving with a decent tailwind.

2018 Duramax GMC 2500
2006 VW Jetta TDI
2000 VW New Beetle TDI Retired after deer hit
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:20 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Garage
Have you tried swapping your fuel filter, could have put some bad fuel in and clogged it? Cheap and easy part to check.

2018 3500HD LTZ DRW

My build thread https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/b...lly-build.html

GM DRW club member #224
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
The full DEF tank is supposed to last 5000 miles!, I get at least 3000

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 11:47 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I knew how much the dealer I purchased from had in it when I took it off the lot so I’ve been able to do my calculations the whole time which is how I got that number. I’m sure driving habits probably have a play in it too but in my case I have the same route every day. It’s my daily driver. I definitely get the over 5k miles from a full tank of DEF 🙂

Man... It was so hard for me to part with my wagon. I knew I would probably regret doing the buyback but the money they offered was too insane not to do it. Before the TDI scandal, my intention was to drive it til it fell apart and I figured I could get close to 500k miles from it. I sure miss it but if the truck treats me well, it’ll have been a good move.

2018 GMC 2500 Denali HD
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 PM Thread Starter

Expected DEF Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
Did you fill the DEF tank before you left? I ended up adding 7 gallons on my new truck on a trip over the first 1500 miles but clearly it was only at the minimum levels when I picked it up new. Since then it has settled into expected usage. If it were mine, I would just keep driving it until the warning comes on. Keep a 2.5 gallon DEF container in the truck just in case.
Yes, mine was at minimum level when I picked it up. However, since then, I've been recording DEF usage. I do carry DEF with me at all times, since if I put 2.5 gallons in, in 600 miles it's telling me Action Required add DEF. I don't think my expected usage should be 2.5 gallons every 600 miles, it should be more like 2500 miles every 2.5 gallons. My 2016 Chevy Duramax went over 5000 miles on 5 gallons.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 04:01 PM

Similar Problem

I also have a 2019 Denali 3500HD, and have also been seeing very high DEF usage. It used over 12 gallons of DEF in the last 2400 miles. 2200 of the miles were towing a boat (~10,000 lbs). I also am not getting any warnings. It goes from "OK" to speed will be reduced to 65 in x miles. I had to put 2.5 gallons in every 400 miles not he return trip home. Also no leaks in the system and no drop in power or performance. Please update this post if you get it fixed.

2019 Sierra 3500HD Denali 4x4 CCLB SRW
MotoMetal Mayhem Assault 8070 20"x9" +18 offset with ProComp AT Sport LT295/60r20 tires
CST Lift 4.5 inches in front, 1 inch in rear
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 06:27 PM

OK, here's my calculations: '18 High Country Dually, 98% of mileage of just over 15K pulling heavy approx 19.5K pounds.
I wait until I get the 30% DEF warning and at that point I can dump in 5 Gal of DEF. Just did the cal and I'm burning
a Gallon of DEF every 471 miles, that's a lot more than my '11 LML did pulling the same weight.

Michelle S., 2018 Chevy Silverado High Country 3500HD, Crew Cab Dually, Duramax/Allison, towing a 43' 20000 Lb 2016 Redwood 5th Wheel Home on wheels, loaded with everything including the Kitchen Sink.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode