Block Heater Recall Replacement - Page 10 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) Postings of Tech Service info for any New L5P engine issues.

56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #91 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
This heater block recall is driving me insane...I am working in Wisconsin and took truck in for LOF and tire rotation service and the recall also. Was told parts are on order...4 weeks later I call back to check on "ordered parts" and was told they do not have any for my truck, only for vehicles that were bought at their dealership...WHAT....REALLY....had you told me that before you done my service I would not have given you my service for LOF & tire rotation. Upon calling GM still no answer...

"Attempt To Hurt Me, Your Gonna Need Some Help, Hurt My Best Friend & Your Gonna Need An Ambulance, Hurt My Family & I'm Gonna Need A Shovel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:08 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

This won't make you feel any better, but I had mine done this week at a dealer that I use for service, not the one where it was purchased.
They have done recall work for me on several vehicles that were purchased other places.

The dealer (or at least that particular service person) that looked after you and refused the recall (and/or any warranty work) is being a [email protected]*&Y &#%*(*^.

I would think that GM would not be happy about the dealer turning you away.
Of course the call centre folks that just work to a script won't give you direct satisfaction, but it's possible you will get a call back about the issue.

Every recalled vehicle will be issued a set of parts. GM won't care where they get installed. They will be more interested in getting all the recalled vehicles looked after.

2018 GMC 2500 L5P CCSB 4x4 Denali - Mineral Metallic; previous '11 LML, '10 LMM and 04.5 LLY
post #93 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwngr View Post
This won't make you feel any better, but I had mine done this week at a dealer that I use for service, not the one where it was purchased.
They have done recall work for me on several vehicles that were purchased other places.

The dealer (or at least that particular service person) that looked after you and refused the recall (and/or any warranty work) is being a [email protected]*&Y &#%*(*^.

I would think that GM would not be happy about the dealer turning you away.
Of course the call centre folks that just work to a script won't give you direct satisfaction, but it's possible you will get a call back about the issue.

Every recalled vehicle will be issued a set of parts. GM won't care where they get installed. They will be more interested in getting all the recalled vehicles looked after.

Well I did find a dealer this afternoon that has 11 in stock and stated they would be glad to help me out, however they have a concern as to what the previous dealer did to disable this as I looked and the cord is not cut as the pic in original poster, & previous dealer will not disclose this information to as to how they disabled the block heater thinking that I may try to enable it myself. How ridiculous.. Any how off to continue the fight with GM

"Attempt To Hurt Me, Your Gonna Need Some Help, Hurt My Best Friend & Your Gonna Need An Ambulance, Hurt My Family & I'm Gonna Need A Shovel"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:04 AM

Garage
Thumbs up

Dealer completed replacement of block heater and power supply cord this morning, Service manager did state to me that these duramax engines really do not need plugging in until -15 to -20 degrees. That blew my mind, however this is my first diesel so I am learning throughout this process.

Thanks for your help & input,

post #95 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 05:38 PM

My 2011 started easily at 20 below without neing plugged in, haven't had my 2018 in that cold of weather yet.
post #96 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 PM

I plug in as soon as the mercury dips to single digits (or at least I used to, until the dealer guillotined my cord during a maintenance visit). I'm more concerned with having a little heat in the oil for initial startup.
Rick_Schaber likes this.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD, DMAX, CC, 4WD

2" Rough Country Level
Fox Performance 2.0 Shocks
Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT, 285-75R18
LineX Bedliner
Leer 180 Cap
post #97 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:08 PM

Just spoke to service rep at my dealer. Told me he researched and parts are due in within the next few days..
post #98 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 07:35 AM

Has anyone actually gotten theirs replaced yet? I've been calling dealer, they don't have - don't know. Called dealer's "Customer Experience Manager" - never got a reply, what a waste. Called GM Customer Service, have a Service Request Number, bumped to a supervisor, was told I would get a call back within 2 business days - it's been nearly 4 weeks and no call, despite leaving a couple of messages during that time.

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone is actually getting a replacement for theirs yet or not. This seems absolutely ridiculous given that the recall was months ago, they have a replacement (changed over halfway through 2018 model year - if memory serves - mine's a 2017), so its not like they have to go to the drawing board to figure it out. It's a production issue, and I have a hard time believing that a cord with heater block attachment is that hard of a thing to produce/procure in sufficient quantities to satisfy current production and the recall.
post #99 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 08:03 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
It's a production issue, and I have a hard time believing that a cord with heater block attachment is that hard of a thing to produce/procure in sufficient quantities to satisfy current production and the recall.
Suppliers focus on matching production output with the on-time inventory that is the assembly line. They can't just one day snap their fingers and decide to up production 10x to meet a new demand. Especially in this economy with a severe lack of available hires.

We went thru this years ago with the flawed intake design on the LLYs.
The LBZ corrected design was considered as something that would never fail, and/or need replacing. There were absolutely 0 available outside of the on-time inventory to match the production line.

Only after a lot of work were we able to push production towards meeting a new demand. Even after that success, you then had to have the dealer parts special order the part #, outside of the normal inventory supply system set up.

Fast forward to today and they're everywhere on fleabay, and for half the cost.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #100 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Suppliers focus on matching production output with the on-time inventory that is the assembly line. They can't just one day snap their fingers and decide to up production 10x to meet a new demand. Especially in this economy with a severe lack of available hires.

We went thru this years ago with the flawed intake design on the LLYs.
The LBZ corrected design was considered as something that would never fail, and/or need replacing. There were absolutely 0 available outside of the on-time inventory to match the production line.

Only after a lot of work were we able to push production towards meeting a new demand. Even after that success, you then had to have the dealer parts special order the part #, outside of the normal inventory supply system set up.

Fast forward to today and they're everywhere on fleabay, and for half the cost.
And I understand that. I've worked in design/mfg before in what seems a previous lifetime.

BUT, the issue had to be noted prior to the recall, so the supplier should have had some advance notice of the issue AND past/current production was changed prior to the recall notice being issued, so the part is in actual production by the supplier, AND the recall is at least 7 months old (May 2019). So, this isn't an issue of a complete redesign of something complicated - that's obviously been done. It's a cord and an engine heater attached to said cord. We're not talking about something machined or cast, or some major sub-assembly, or something that requires 12+ hrs labor to R&R.

Biggest issue for me (today) is the complete lack of information coming back from anyone at GM. No word, nothing. Complete silence, and complete disregard for a customer, despite multiple attempts to contact them to get any word. That chaps my hide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode