Block Heater Recall Replacement - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) Postings of Tech Service info for any New L5P engine issues.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:24 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Block Heater Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt1991 View Post
Today I received a phone call from GM after they received my complaint from the Pennsylvania State Attorney General's Office. I purchased a new 2019 Chevrolet LTZ 3500 Durmax back in June. When I purchased the vehicle, I was not informed of the recall nor was I told that my engine block heater core cord was cut off. My window sticker indicates that my truck is equipped with an engine block heater. After purchase, I learned about the recall and found out my cord had been cut. I filed a complaint with GM and they did nothing. They put the responsibility on the dealership. GM has refused to repurchase the vehicle. Next, I filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office regarding what I feel is consumer fraud. If a window sticker lists an item, the consumer should be able to assume the vehicle contains that item in working order and if an item is disabled the manufacturer and the dealer should notify the purchaser prior to purchase so they can make an informed decision. In my case, the dealer blames GM and GM blames the dealer.

During my conversation with GM, I asked if all of the owners of trucks with the notation on the window sticker stating the engine block heater has been disabled with a $100.00 credit will be notified of the fix. She advised that those trucks are not part of my complaint. So read between the lines.

Initially, a Senior Advisor told me the fix should be available sometime in October. This was also the time frame provided by the dealership however, today the woman could not give me a time frame of when the fix will be available.

I suggest if you live in PA and you have this same problem or similar that you contact GM and the Pennsylvania Attorney General
WOW!! That seems like overkill to me. Yes, the dealer should have told you about the recall and the cut cord but demanding that GM re-purchase your truck for a fixable recall seems extreme. Do whatever you like but I wouldn't go that far.

GrandpaLarry777

2018 Silverado High Country 3500HD Diesel 4x4 Dually
Usually hauling a horse trailer with my much younger wife Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:33 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
WOW!! That seems like overkill to me. Yes, the dealer should have told you about the recall and the cut cord but demanding that GM re-purchase your truck for a fixable recall seems extreme. Do whatever you like but I wouldn't go that far.
+1

GM's hack job temporary fix (which the local dealer did to my truck as well) is an embarrassment to the company, but a buy-back does seem extreme given the situation.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD, DMAX, CC, 4WD
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt1991 View Post
Today I received a phone call from GM after they received my complaint from the Pennsylvania State Attorney General's Office. I purchased a new 2019 Chevrolet LTZ 3500 Durmax back in June. When I purchased the vehicle, I was not informed of the recall nor was I told that my engine block heater core cord was cut off. My window sticker indicates that my truck is equipped with an engine block heater. After purchase, I learned about the recall and found out my cord had been cut. I filed a complaint with GM and they did nothing. They put the responsibility on the dealership. GM has refused to repurchase the vehicle. Next, I filed a complaint with the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office regarding what I feel is consumer fraud. If a window sticker lists an item, the consumer should be able to assume the vehicle contains that item in working order and if an item is disabled the manufacturer and the dealer should notify the purchaser prior to purchase so they can make an informed decision. In my case, the dealer blames GM and GM blames the dealer.

During my conversation with GM, I asked if all of the owners of trucks with the notation on the window sticker stating the engine block heater has been disabled with a $100.00 credit will be notified of the fix. She advised that those trucks are not part of my complaint. So read between the lines.

Initially, a Senior Advisor told me the fix should be available sometime in October. This was also the time frame provided by the dealership however, today the woman could not give me a time frame of when the fix will be available.

I suggest if you live in PA and you have this same problem or similar that you contact GM and the Pennsylvania Attorney General
No I’m not going to go as far as demanding a buy back but it would have been good to know that they did this instead of just figuring it out myself.
NHfireDmax likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:47 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

You don’t have to figure this out yourself, contact your local dealer and/or GM customer service, they’re the ones that’ll hopefully fix it for you, the forums can only try to guide you.
sambor likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
You don’t have to figure this out yourself, contact your local dealer and/or GM customer service, they’re the ones that’ll hopefully fix it for you, the forums can only try to guide you.
I was meaning figuring out for myself that I don’t have one because of the recall. I even specifically asked where it was and no one gave me an answer. I did call them and they said they’d let me know as soon as a correction comes in.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 04:33 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG View Post
I was meaning figuring out for myself that I don’t have one because of the recall. I even specifically asked where it was and no one gave me an answer. I did call them and they said they’d let me know as soon as a correction comes in.
Agreed, Dealer should have informed me that there was an active recall and the block heater had been disabled
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 05:22 PM

I was in for one of my free oil changes, was told about three active recalls on my 18. Block heater, something to do with the rear defrost and a supplement for the owners manual. There was also the injector calibration update that they were going to do.

I asked them nicely not to do the injector calibration and NOT to cut my block heater cord, they complied with my wishes. I used the block heater all winter last year without any problems, I've inspected the cord and the element and can't see any problems so I will continue to use it until the parts are available for the fix.
Rick_Schaber and NHfireDmax like this.

2018 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Frost white.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. Traded

2013 Cadillac CTS-V Black Raven coupe 6mt.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:19 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireDmax View Post
Agreed, Dealer should have informed me that there was an active recall and the block heater had been disabled
They did the same to me as well. When I dropped off the truck for an unrelated service item they never mentioned the recall. When I went to pick it up later that day I was told they "took care of it for me". That's when I remembered reading about the hack job on forums. They're probably doing that because of how much static people are giving them. Regardless of the reason why GM and the dealers need to be up front about it. Sneaking it in while people aren't looking strikes me as terribly inappropriate.
Rick_Schaber likes this.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD, DMAX, CC, 4WD
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:17 PM

I recently purchase a used '17 Duramax and called the dealer to inquire about the recall. They informed me that the "Fix" is still just to cut the heater cord. Can anyone post a picture and a good description of where this cord is located, so I can see if mine has been cut?
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 10:44 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
I recently purchase a used '17 Duramax and called the dealer to inquire about the recall. They informed me that the "Fix" is still just to cut the heater cord. Can anyone post a picture and a good description of where this cord is located, so I can see if mine has been cut?
Did you read the thread? Mentioned many times.... zip tied up next to and inboard of the passenger side battery.... Or can be viewed from PS tire looking at lower front of the block...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode