Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum

Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/)
-   L5P TSB (service bulletins, recalls, updates) (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/l5p-tsb-service-bulletins-recalls-updates/)
-   -   Block Heater Recall Replacement (https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/l5p-tsb-service-bulletins-recalls-updates/998969-block-heater-recall-replacement.html)

HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG 08-25-2019 10:40 PM

Block Heater Recall Replacement

1 Attachment(s)
I am very new here and to the diesel owner world and my first question is this. Do i need to purchase a new block heater and replace the old one on my truck? From what i am told the truck had a recall and the dealer just cut the cord at the base of the heater and left it. Its a 2017 6.6, Cheers!

Icutmetl 08-26-2019 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG (Post 12197521)
I am very new here and to the diesel owner world and my first question is this. Do i need to purchase a new block heater and replace the old one on my truck? From what i am told the truck had a recall and the dealer just cut the cord at the base of the heater and left it. Its a 2017 6.6, Cheers!

No, it’s a recall. Your dealer will take care of it. It’s an open recall, but I was told during my last service appointment that GM didn’t have all the parts yet and I would get a notification when I should call my dealer and schedule the repair.

redwngr 08-26-2019 08:41 AM

Recall letter I got says 'for now don't use' AND that a 'second letter will advise when parts available for repair'.

Regardless, it's a 2 stage deal, and we should be notified when parts become available.

I expect them to do it by region as more and more parts are produced.
(no need to wait until enough parts for all have been made to start the process...)

HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG 08-26-2019 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redwngr (Post 12197625)
Recall letter I got says 'for now don't use' AND that a 'second letter will advise when parts available for repair'.

Regardless, it's a 2 stage deal, and we should be notified when parts become available.

(no need to wait until enough parts for all have been made to start the process...)

UGH! I live in Alaska is there an alternative? I don’t think I can go the winter without it. This will be my first winter here.

Hook'em_Horns! 08-26-2019 04:17 PM

While they're nice to have for a quickly warmed up truck after start, the Dmax doesn't really need a block heater to start in the ultra cold.

Icutmetl 08-26-2019 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG (Post 12197753)
Quote:

UGH! I live in Alaska is there an alternative? I don’t think I can go the winter without it. This will be my first winter here.

It ain’t winter yet.

HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG 08-26-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Icutmetl (Post 12197791)
Quote:

Originally Posted by HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG (Post 12197753)
Quote:

It ain’t winter yet.

Lol yeah not yet but from what I hear.... winter is coming... 😂

HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG 08-26-2019 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! (Post 12197761)
While they're nice to have for a quickly warmed up truck after start, the Dmax doesn't really need a block heater to start in the ultra cold.

Oh. Really now? All I’ve heard is that it’s a MUST

Hook'em_Horns! 08-26-2019 07:00 PM

Not as important with a common rail diesel.
Old Diesels, not gonna happen.

There are blankets available for the extreme cold too.

HIGHCOUNTRY_USCG 08-26-2019 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! (Post 12197805)
Not as important with a common rail diesel.
Old Diesels, not gonna happen.

There are blankets available for the extreme cold too.

That’s reassuring for sure. Thanks! And I’ll look into the blanket.