Check engine light after regen - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa Dave View Post
Jeeeezzzzz do you have Alzheimer's or just Dementia? Give it a rest! Cutting and pasting that same tired old story. Just because you bought a vehicle that was not taken care of for almost 100k miles before you bought it and now use every thread you can to whine about it!

Need to get some Cheese to go with that Whine!

Don't go away mad just go away...
Just put him on your "Ignore" list and he will effectively go away.............I did

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 08:06 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevor View Post
I believe that this is more evidence for my theory that far western state mandate alternative bio fuels causing the regen systems of these trucks to malfunction.

Try getting your fuel from a different source. The less bio the better.
For those with LML engines the Bio is a great thing. It adds the lubricity missing from the ULSD we aer all forced to run. No additive you can buy equals it in that regard, but Opti-Lube comes close.

It is also a wonderful fuel system cleaner, all the way from the tank to the injectors.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:00 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2500 View Post
Yesterday driving down the freeway I noticed a big poof of white smoke coming out the exhaust. Not worried about that it happens when I get on the gas petal during regen. I see it every now and then. Within 5 mins after my CEL came on. Went to the shop this morning and I don’t have the code but he told me it was a fuel sensor error. Not sure exactly what it is and I don’t have time to leave it for a diagnosis. Any thoughts? Not sure if one thing leads to the other just seems odd the CEL came on right after regen. #9 injector???
Do you have any device that can read and clear trouble codes
If you don't, then if your planning on owning a diesel you might consider investing in something, Edge Insight comes to mind.
Since at least 2007 my first Duramax they are well known for possible ghost codes, I had several that never should have shown up when new, a couple that had nothing to do with a diesel, glitch.

My dealer tech suggested I invest in a code scanner he suggested buying a small Mac Tools OBD2 code scanner/clearer EB50, 2009 I went with the Edge Insight.
He looses money everytime you go in to have issues diagnosis and codes cleared and you loose time where a simple clearing takes care of a code/reduced power.
Write the code number down and what it explains the issue is, if the code comes back then go to your dealer, if it doesn't continue on.
Several codes will keep you in reduced power mode until they are cleared.

On using BIO with DPF, to much will cause problems, you never know exactly what your getting everything says up to a % number.
A good additive would be much safer even for the LML, they do need something, but to much of a BIO good thing also causes problems, one part comes to mind a plugged up DPF.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 10-18-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 10:17 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
No it does not abuse the truck to run forced regens. 2000 RPM is not damaging the engine. Now if you want a little extra peace of mind, have a high powered fan running in front of it to help engine cooling if you live in Phoenix.
- - - - - - -
One of us must have a malfunctioning tach. On my tach, and (according to the techs. at my local GM dealer ) the "forced regen" involves up to an hour at 2,500 rpm.

In any event, we disagree - operating a relatively long stroke engine at the higher rpms without a "load" is not in my opinion a good idea. You may know more than the techs at my GM dealer, but they agree - they do it because they have to ( it is prescribed in the GM manuals to their dealers) but they don't like it.

No - I don't live in the "other" Arizona - I personally live in the high country; my ranch is in a mountain valley north of Prescott - we rarely see even 90 degrees up here.

In any event, the "regen" and other delightful issues inherent in the stock pollution control system are no longer my problem.....

As noted elsewhere, I had my DPF cleaned, received a warranty and "flow statement" confirming it is fine, re-installed and ran it in my truck to confirm all of the stock pollution control equipment is working fine.

I have researched the issue on this excellent forum, and followed the recommendations. Bottom line - guess what - NOT MY PROBLEM ANY MORE!

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:27 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
I believe that this is more evidence for my theory that far western state mandate alternative bio fuels causing the regen systems of these trucks to malfunction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
For those with LML engines the Bio is a great thing. It adds the lubricity missing from the ULSD we aer all forced to run. No additive you can buy equals it in that regard, but Opti-Lube comes close.

It is also a wonderful fuel system cleaner, all the way from the tank to the injectors.
@chevor & @407driver I have heard these conflicting statements when researching fuel types & additives. What I have found is that bio has less BTUs/gal than ULSD. This is why some experience lower MPGs when running bio. Do yiu guys have anymore insights? I am still trying to find answers. when I do i will share

Low End Torque gets work done
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
The exhaust regen system is different between the LMM 2007 to 2010, and the 2011 and newer.

On LML and L5P fuel is injected into the DPF in a low pressure burn. That is where I believe the problem with fuel exist.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 666,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2500 View Post
Not sure if one thing leads to the other just seems odd the CEL came on right after regen. #9 injector???
Well, 9th inj is in the middle of it all for a regen.
And it seems that they are the most common failure item in the LML emissions system.
Need the actual codes.

Quote:

#2 ULSD vs B20.....3.9% less BTUs.
Is that a significant difference that would affect performance in any way?

Now with B100...that's 16% less, which I could see as a potential problem.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:30 AM

Almost 4 miles less every 100 miles.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:15 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Well, 9th inj is in the middle of it all for a regen.
And it seems that they are the most common failure item in the LML emissions system.
Need the actual codes.

#2 ULSD vs B20.....3.9% less BTUs.
Is that a significant difference that would affect performance in any way?

Now with B100...that's 16% less, which I could see as a potential problem.
The regen system is burning it ... It is different than combustion in the engine.

Seen issues with the fuel staying burning, truck has hazed white smoke trying to ignite.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax 853,500 Odometer miles - sold Nov 2018

2013 LT CCSB SRW bought with 508,000 miles, now over 666,000 miles

2013 CrewCab and chassis with 9' Hillsboro aluminum flatbed 84,000 miles. - Sold Sept 2019
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon

Last edited by chevor; 11-06-2019 at 05:46 PM.
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:57 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Right the BTU difference between ULSD & B20 is not much diffrence. In my experience Bioblends have caused more frequent regens even when fueling up at high volume truck stops. I cant write bio off but try not to use it much because the blend ratios are not consistent. For this reason I have been using ULSD and supplementing lubricty and cetane with additive.
One of the reasons I have been looking at GM HDs is the 9th injector because of oil dilution during regens (esp using bio) with my F250. Is the 9th the cause of any specific issues? @CA2500 did you ever resolve the issue?
Thanks
W.T.F.

Low End Torque gets work done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode