Service trailer brake system - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ron Nielson
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b
 
Fireman12983's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 21
Service trailer brake system

Feeling like I'm on the forum every other week.... Driving earlier today and had a Service Trailer Brake readout on DIC along with the BRAKE indicator light. Truck still driving no problem. Checked fluids all good. Seeing some stuff about a relay above rear end, then others about the switch itself. Just looking for some insight if anyone has had similar issues?? 2015 high country 4x4 LML. Thanks.
Fireman12983 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 04:50 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
Jimc295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland GA
Posts: 49
Did you ever get this fixed? I am intermittently having the same issue.

2015 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 LTZ 40 inch donaldson cat back exhaust
2007.5 Ram 2500 Sold
Jimc295 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:04 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
407driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman12983 View Post
Feeling like I'm on the forum every other week.... Driving earlier today and had a Service Trailer Brake readout on DIC along with the BRAKE indicator light. Truck still driving no problem. Checked fluids all good. Seeing some stuff about a relay above rear end, then others about the switch itself. Just looking for some insight if anyone has had similar issues?? 2015 high country 4x4 LML. Thanks.
Try this first,

Disconnect harness from the rear of your 7 pin connector.
Blow out with air.
put Dielectric Grease in pin holes (to keep water out in the future) and reconnect.

If this does not work there is a Trailer Brake Controller above your rear axle on the inside of the drivers side frame.

Do the same process there too.

Let us know how this works out.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
407driver is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:41 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
Jimc295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland GA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
Try this first,

Disconnect harness from the rear of your 7 pin connector.
Blow out with air.
put Dielectric Grease in pin holes (to keep water out in the future) and reconnect.

If this does not work there is a Trailer Brake Controller above your rear axle on the inside of the drivers side frame.

Do the same process there too.

Let us know how this works out.

Thanks

2015 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 LTZ 40 inch donaldson cat back exhaust
2007.5 Ram 2500 Sold
Jimc295 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 10:43 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
407driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimc295 View Post

Thanks

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
407driver is online now  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
I have had this occur when pulling a trailer. It ended up being bad wiring on the trailer and blew some of my fuses.
Southern Duramax is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 12:10 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
407driver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 4,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Duramax View Post
I have had this occur when pulling a trailer. It ended up being bad wiring on the trailer and blew some of my fuses.
The same, had an older 5er that the connection cord had loose connections. A new cord and 15 minutes wiring it up cured the problem.

But I got the impression that the question was posed by someone whose trailer was not connected at the time.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
407driver is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 02:53 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berryton, KS
Posts: 1,410
If there is a problem with your truck's brake system, your trailer brake system will be inoperative. Usually when this happens, it is in conjunction with the ABS unit having a vault. If the ABS light shows up on the dash, you will also have a STBS message on the DIC. So I think you need to address the brake light problem and see if the Service trailer Brake System problem goes away.



Here is additional information: What Does The Brake Service Light Mean | Dallas Brakes
407driver likes this.

Ron Nielson
2008 Silverado LT, CCLB, Edge Insight CTS
2009 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Silver Fox Edition, Onan 3600 LPG generator
Ron Nielson is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:30 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
Jimc295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland GA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
The same, had an older 5er that the connection cord had loose connections. A new cord and 15 minutes wiring it up cured the problem.

But I got the impression that the question was posed by someone whose trailer was not connected at the time.
Correct no trailer connected but the service trailer brake pops up. As soon as the rain stops gonna try your suggestion thanks again.

2015 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 LTZ 40 inch donaldson cat back exhaust
2007.5 Ram 2500 Sold
Jimc295 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 06:34 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
 
Jimc295's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cleveland GA
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Nielson View Post
If there is a problem with your truck's brake system, your trailer brake system will be inoperative. Usually when this happens, it is in conjunction with the ABS unit having a vault. If the ABS light shows up on the dash, you will also have a STBS message on the DIC. So I think you need to address the brake light problem and see if the Service trailer Brake System problem goes away.



Here is additional information: What Does The Brake Service Light Mean | Dallas Brakes
Ron it could also be related to this. I recently had a brake line develop a leak cause it was rubbing on the PS line. Had to to replace the line so maybe somewhat related but the line is fixed and have no issues now.

2015 Silverado 3500HD 4x4 LTZ 40 inch donaldson cat back exhaust
2007.5 Ram 2500 Sold
Jimc295 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome