Service for your Allison, what do you guys do and use? - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:03 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
So good looking out creating a new baseline for your new to you truck.

I’d go OE with internal filter and the gasket is reusable, however since you didn’t install it who knows what shape it’s in-they are cheap to replace.

I chose to use Mobil Delvac Full Syn for fluid. It’s TES-295 approved and can be had for a deal off summit racing. I change the external filter (Allison filter on Amz) every (engine) oil change or every other be spending on what I’m doing with it. I change my oil every 10k miles. Suggested by Blackstone.

Anyway you would take the pan off for the fluid change-to get 95% out. Why not wipe it and see what the magnet shows...
Then carefully seat the gasket and torque X style across the bolts.

This is a good time to change transfer case, front diff and rear diff too.
BIOTEC likes this.

🤘 Kennedy fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB

Last edited by Sierraluva; 12-03-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Awesome, you guys sold me on the Mobil Delvac! I hope with the right care I can keep this trans going strong, with all the modifications I am putting on I would like to maintain the durability of my truck. Thanks gents!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 03:12 PM

I just dropped the pan, replaced the internal & spin-on filters and refilled with Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF from Summit Racing. Summit had the best price at the beginning of November. Internal and Spin-On was genuine Allison parts from Amazon, all in 1 package - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered an OEM gasket but did not end up using it since the original part was still in perfect condition. I also ordered a magnet for the filter but the original magnet was good to go as well. Now I have backup!

My 3500hd is daily commuter with RV trailer pulling duties 2-3x/month. I noticed @ the 25k mileage mark, the tranny was starting to "clunk" when going from park to R to D and vice-versa. The 1-2 shift had a noticeable feel to it as well. In stop and go Southern CA (91 FWY) in 90 degree weather, my tranny ran between 170-190 degrees at it's highest point with the original fluid. After the flush and fill, my tranny now runs between 150-180 degrees. The gear switches are smooth and not clunky.

IMHO, the flush/fill with Mobil Delvac Synthetic was well worth it.

-Ron in SoCal
AlisoBob, BIOTEC and Kdogc10 like this.

2018 Silverado 3500
4x4
High Country Edition
6.6 L5P Duramax
Allison 1000
Stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your testimony Ron, that makes me feel alot better!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Man View Post
Hey guys, so i recently bought my truck and am now looking into doing a service on the transmission. So, i did a bunch of research and now am worse off than if i did not look into it. So, what do you guys use for ATF fluid? do you guys take the pan off to clean it out? Use the OE Filter or a aftermarket? I am leaning towards Amsoil ATF or their Torque Drive ATF, anyone have any experiences?
I use the Amsoil Torque Drive in my 2011 and have not had any problems. Truck shifts smoothly.

I used

2011 Chevy 2500hd Duramax
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 07:44 PM

Allison Transynd

Before we left for Alaska pulling out fifth wheel, I changed the internal and external filters with stock ones. I did the Hoot flush as described on this forum. And changed the fluid to Allison Transynd. Pulling 13,000 lbs for 78 days I saw trans temps peak at 165 or so. Friend on the same trip with a stock Fords was running 205 and up. I think the Allison Transynd is the real deal.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 08:24 PM

Garage
https://www.allisontransmission.com/...ter-calculator

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 09:19 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

My Delvac 1 in my LML is at 100k miles.

I double dump drained it 100k ago and did all the filters.

50k ago, I drained and refilled the pan so half the fluid is 100k miles old, and half is 50k old.

Very soon I'm going to do a full service on it, I'll post up what I find when I do.....
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-05-2019, 10:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2pro View Post
I believe I read or saw on a YouTube video that changing the Alison spin on filter every time you change the fuel filter was a good interval. The Alison filter is $13-16 on Amazon.
I'd follow the recommended (internal) filter and fluid depending on your needs based on the amount of towing.

Now at the Stealer, when you have the transmission serviced, they will ding you like $60 for that same Allison filter...

Guy
From The People's Republic of Kalifornistan!
Allison® 1000 6-speed Running Transynd fluid
SNUGtop Cab Hi camper shell
Cargoglide CG1000
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDade View Post
Before we left for Alaska pulling out fifth wheel, I changed the internal and external filters with stock ones. I did the Hoot flush as described on this forum. And changed the fluid to Allison Transynd. Pulling 13,000 lbs for 78 days I saw trans temps peak at 165 or so. Friend on the same trip with a stock Fords was running 205 and up. I think the Allison Transynd is the real deal.
I agree. I did the double flush fluid replacement using the Transynd and really tell a difference in shifting and lower temps. I won't use anything else. Not cheap but definitely worth it. Dean
AlisoBob and GMC-GDM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in