Service for your Allison, what do you guys do and use? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-02-2019, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Service for your Allison, what do you guys do and use?

Hey guys, so i recently bought my truck and am now looking into doing a service on the transmission. So, i did a bunch of research and now am worse off than if i did not look into it. So, what do you guys use for ATF fluid? do you guys take the pan off to clean it out? Use the OE Filter or a aftermarket? I am leaning towards Amsoil ATF or their Torque Drive ATF, anyone have any experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 12:25 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I know the general consensus on the filter is to go OE. And the fluid depends on the yr of truck you have I believe the newer ones take a different fluid. Typically people donít take the pan out very often. Usually just change the external filter every so often and fluid. And then change the internal filter and check the magnet every once in a GREAT while. Hope Mike L will see this, he is the expert and his word is LAW when it comes to allison trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:31 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Delving into your friend's truck....You're way past the point of needing your signature filled out, so others can see what ya got and give proper advice.

Trans service....depends on mileage, model, your uses, your future uses, etc.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 AM
HWI

Assuming you have a stock transmission, for trans fluid I use TES-295 fluid, it's what Allison recommends. Amsoil is not TES-295 certified, take that as you may, I am not an Amsoil fan so I'll leave it at that.
I like what Hook'em said, trans service depends on mileage and use. For myself, I change the spin on every other oil change.
AlisoBob, BIOTEC and Sierraluva like this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:12 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I believe I read or saw on a YouTube video that changing the Alison spin on filter every time you change the fuel filter was a good interval. The Alison filter is $13-16 on Amazon.
I'd follow the recommended (internal) filter and fluid depending on your needs based on the amount of towing.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:35 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

TES-295 is the best stuff for it as long as it's a 5 or 6 speed (not the new 10 speed in the 2020s).

I've been driving mine a loooong time and up until 360k miles, I just ran the Dex stuff. A few times I changed the internal filter over the years but Allison says you never need to. I swapped over to the TES-295 stuff at 360k miles. The truck shifts smoother now than it did when it was brand new.

2002 Chevy 2500HD Crew - Original owner - 410,000 miles so far. All stock with the exception of a lift pump.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 AM

Go with the TES-295 .

I would recommend dropping the pan and remove the internal filter. You will gain about two quarts of fluid drain as a result. If filter is in good condition you can reuse it.

Dropping the pan will give you an idea of transmission condition by how much clutch material you find and hopefully nothing hard such as gear teeth.

Most of the time the pan gasket can be reused.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:42 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
If filter is in good condition you can reuse it.
Maybe so. But I wouldn't trust the multi-fin seals on the neck for a 2nd round.
Quote:
Alison filter is $13-16 on...
Source Allison Dealer (most any HD Truck shop), genuine is under $10 (I buy several at a time), and the internal filter (also genuine) price can't be beat.
BIOTEC and 407driver like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so i have narrowed it down to Mobil Delvac and Castrol Transynd as my two choices. Anyone have experience with either or hear of anything negative about either brand?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:54 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Castrol and Mobil are the two mfrs for TES-295. All the others (BP, JD, etc) are relabeled.
Some say the Delvac holds it's color longer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in