Filter Intervals - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 06:56 PM

I am at 460,000 miles and currently doing oil changes at 40,000 miles with filter change at 20,000 miles. UOA done every oil change since started doing them at about 50,000 miles. Racor fuel filters get changed when they start pulling 4" of vacuum at idle.

M1-303 oil filter with FilterMag.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 07:14 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Walk in to any WallyWorld anywhere, it's on the shelf.

W/W has the 303A, which is the extended life version of the 303.

All filters operate inside the "filter pyramid" of 1. Surface Area 2. Micron Rating and 3. Life expectancy.

All 3 parameters work in unison.

Examples:
To extend life without increasing area, you must increase micron size

To decrease micron size, and increase life, you must increase surface area

To decrease surface area, you must increase micron size, decrease life, or both.

The 303 and and 303A both have the same surface area. To qualify as a extended life filter, they had to of increased the micron rating.
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
That would be a great idea.....IF.....there was any such store within ..oh....say a three hour drive from my place....

if I hadn’t already put the adapter & CAT back in, I might have just ordered the filter Hook likes....obviously you can get just about anything on the “Net” these days.

As for the guy who tells us “40,000 miles” between oil changes.....is that for real or a mis~print of some kind...?
Yes, I go 40,000 miles between oil changes.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:11 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I've said it before but the UPRR NEVER changes oil on locomotives unless they have a catastrophic failure. A million miles on a locomotive is just broken in. And they tow HEAVY. They do analysis and play with additives. If the oil is too dirty they just change the filters more. If you know what you are doing it isn't necessary to follow any particular service interval. GM knows that most of their customers have no idea what they are doing. The recommend intervals that will get just about anybody past the warranty period. That is their main concern. Of course our engines are not locomotive engines but the point is that you can do a lot of seemingly outrageous things if you understand what you are doing. 40K between changes? Only with frequent analysis and an understanding of what the reports mean but it can be done.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 01:43 AM

Garage
If you want real answers send your oil off to a lab as suggested earlier. I do every 5k just out of habit, will probably switch to 10k here soon because my last oil change was 10k and my lab results were the exact same as the 5k as far as the oil itself was concerned. Truck currently has 238k on it. I would recommend that If you do anything over 5 to keep an eye on your oil level at least since some GM motors tend to burn oil.

Michael

09 LMM
Leveled, Deleted, and Tinted, 5" Flo-Pro SS, EFI by Kory Willis, PCV Re-route, Fass 150.
US Army Military Police
East Carolina Pirate Alumni
Amsoil Dealer
http://eastcarolinasynth.myamsoil.com
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 03:48 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by in2pro View Post
One certain way is to send your oil off for analysis, I have sent oil off to Black Stone Labs for my previous 5.3L Tahoe and was pleased with the results, they advised I could go upwards to 10k on my M1 oil changes... may also consider sending it a sample of the 2500's after and oil change or two...
The guys I know who send their oil in for analysis are into really pushing the limits on the oil. It seems to me they spend nearly as much having it tested as to have just changed it.

And those results come back, Good, Good, Good, GET IT OUT NOW!

IMHO oil and filters are cheap, engines, not so much.

Oil - 5000
Fuel Filters on Lift Pump - 10,000
Tranny Spin on - 10,000

There are other fluids as well, this thread will describe them and how to DIY if you wish.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html
D_R_C, carhauler and HWI like this.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:46 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
It seems to me they spend nearly as much having it tested as to have just changed it.
D_R_C likes this.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 08:53 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
I've said it before but the UPRR NEVER changes oil on locomotives unless they have a catastrophic failure.
Wizzy... trains hold what, 300+ gallons of oil?

Their solution to pollution, is dilution .....

post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 09:13 AM

Rotella T6 $22.00/gallon x 3 = $66.00 + filters $10.00 x 2 = $20.00 = $86.00 UOA $38.00 Total of $124.00 plus lets say 1 gallon of make up oil @ $22.00 brings us to a grand total of $146.00 to go 40,000 miles.

If I was to change it every 5,000 miles at $76.00 per change with no UOA x 8 would equal $608.00 not including my labor to go 40,000 miles.

I am not the smartest person but I think $146 is less than $608.

post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

[QUOTE=AlisoBob;12234737]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 407driver View Post
It seems to me they spend nearly as much having it tested as to have just changed it.
Some call it obsessive, others call it enthusiasm 😁
honestly the times I've had it tested it was just more for a validation of the oil life monitoring system.
In the case of my 2007 Tahoe 5.3 it was because I had the exploding engine due to the DOD, once I disabled the Displacement On Demand, the oil quality improved greatly.

2019 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Duramax L5P
2019 Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106DS TT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode