Filter Intervals - Page 6 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 01:53 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredge View Post
Nice EGT gauge, how do you like it? I was considering the same for my LMM.
I’ve had this Westach Boost/EGT gauge since 2003, it’s on its 2nd truck.
I still like it
A little pricy, I think investing in a Edge Insight would be a better option.

http://www.westach.com/app_guide/TUR...TION/index.php

Mines 1500 EGT 50 boost
corneredge likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM

As for oil changes I stick to the DIC and run the 5w40 T6 Rotella and stock Delco oil filter. I could probably go more on the miles but I know I can't go wrong with the DIC info. For the fuel filter I have a FASS lift pump and run a pressure switch downstream that is set at 6 psi. The pump puts out about 8 psi. The switch makes a ground with power coming from the switched side of the relay that powers my lift pump. I simply added a small LED post light. Before I start the truck there is no fuel pressure and it takes a moment or so for pressure to build when I start the truck. I get a momentary LED light when I start up. Kinda of a simple test of the circuit when I run my engine. I carry a spare set of fuel filters in the truck. So far I have gone over 25K and no fuel restrictions. Nothing in the water separator. To me checking fuel pressure at idle tells you little. If you can only make 5 psi at idle (with a lift pump that puts out 8 psi) you have a seriously clogged fuel filter. The true test of the filter comes under a high demand on the system. If you start to see a drop in delivery pressure under a high demand then you know you are coming up on filter change. If I had the stock set up I would definitely go by the DIC or sooner but I am not a fan of sucking fuel that far from the tank and thru a fuel filter.

If you want to know how long oil will last check with some of the big fleet operators. See how many miles they go between oil and filter changes, I think it would shock many people out there on how long they go between changes. Admittedly they put on many constant miles but also have extended idle times when resting. As long as you do oil analysis and routinely change the oil filters I see no issues extending oil intervals. I don't rack up that many miles each year on the truck so changing by the DIC is fine by me. Dean

Last edited by Dean E; 12-06-2019 at 02:51 PM.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 02:49 PM

There's a ton of good info in here guys, thank you for that. I'm still learning about the Dmax's as this is my first so I'm soaking up everything I can.

My truck's got a new AirDog on it but reading through here, I definitely want to put a pressure switch to monitor better. No reason to change the filters sooner than needed. Also sent away for a oil testing kit from BlackStone and will probably do the new couple oil changes with them since I just bought this truck and want to keep an eye on it.
Dean E likes this.

2003 CCSB LB7 GMC 2500HD D/A 4x4
Bought in '19 with 214k miles
Bully Dog tuner
Pro Flo exhaust
Leveled with Bilsteins
305/55/20 Falkens on LML 20s
Ranch Hand
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 04:45 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
or is that something of the past
Pretty much.....unless you see a blue oval on the grille.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I have a 2.5 ton dump truck that came without an oil filter on it's 235 c.i. straight six in 1958. With a setup like that you want to change the oil a couple of times in the early life of the engine just to clear out the wear products. With a modern engine there are fewer wear products on break-in because they are more precisely machined to start with. Then the filter catches a large percentage of any wear particles that happen to be produced. The need for an early change is much less today than it used to be.

I wouldn't say that it is a bad idea but it isn't needed. If you really really have to do something to baby your new baby then perhaps a change at 3K and then another 7K later (10K total) would be sort of justifiable. By no means is it required though. An even better thing to do would be an oil analysis early on to see if anything is going bad before it is a problem, just to set your mind at ease. If the analysis says change then change but if it says everything is okay then you will be comforted. For the peace of mind it could be worth the cost.

From a statistical point of view it isn't worthwhile to do anything special but if it makes you feel better or if you are Joe Btfsplk then maybe it is actually needed.

post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-06-2019, 07:01 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post
If you want to know how long oil will last check with some of the big fleet operators. See how many miles they go between oil and filter changes, I think it would shock many people out there on how long they go between changes. Admittedly they put on many constant miles but also have extended idle times when resting. As long as you do oil analysis and routinely change the oil filters I see no issues extending oil intervals. I don't rack up that many miles each year on the truck so changing by the DIC is fine by me. Dean
You forgot to mention the big fleets oil capacity is around 32-40 + quarts depending on the engines and the oil filtering system holds 6 + times the oil than our oil filters.
That’s one of the bigger reasons they do OA’s.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 01:21 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
You forgot to mention the big fleets oil capacity is around 32-40 + quarts depending on the engines and the oil filtering system holds 6 + times the oil than our oil filters.
That's a good point. For a pickup an OA is a good idea but only marginally less expensive than changing it on a regular schedule. For a bigger truck it surely makes sense to do OA rather than change. And for a locomotive, could you imagine doing a 250 gallon oil change rather than do analysis? Different solutions for different situations.
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Yes, good point. I forgot to take that into consideration. I knew they held more oil but not that much. Dean
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

I use T6 oil and normally go about 20,000 to 22,000 between oil changes. I do oil analysis and I have 944,000 on mine. It is a 2011. They alway tell me that the oil is good and I can go longer between changes. I just sent off a sample with 29,000 on it and I am sure they will say that it is fine also. You can do a sample much cheaper than changing the oil. Of course the dealer ships and oil companies want you to change your oil at a set mileage instead of when it needs changed it means more money for them.
ShopSpecialties likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode