The D-Max 2019 Filter Shootout... Pt 2 ! - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 12:53 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
No....every time you click on a new post, it loads all of the pics that came before it.
Even if it was the min 3 characters, it wastes data (not everyone's on unlimited) to open the latest post.
your phone should be caching the page data (mostly images) and only loading new elements on the page, however i was just being a smart ass anyway. If you have caching turned off, and are on a limited plan you may want to turn it on as it will save the pictures from the page to your device so that you dont have to re-download them each time you view the page.

i bet the 1900 x 400 adds at the top of the page do a lot more damage to your bandwidth though then a sub post. not to mention all the tracking content build into this site.

Additionally, to put the full scope of this sites data use in perspective. I have a tab running in chromes dev mode monitoring network resources. Loading the home page of the site cleanly with no cache data takes 1.6 MB. after letting the tab sit for a couple minutes i have now reached 24 MB (and continuously growing with no end in sight), the delta is all ads and tracking traffic. If bandwidth was anyones concern here, this site would be built MUCH differently.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 12-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:02 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I seem to recall results like this with the air filters too when comparingnoem to aftermarket. If it trapped dirt well, it was a more restrictive filter. If it passed more dirt, it was a better flowing filter. Theres always a trade off between performance and function. I may end up going back to a stock fuel filter yet, will have ro see what happens with the donaldson.

Eager for the coming results as usual Bob
LMLLover likes this.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #23 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 01:10 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
I seem to recall results like this with the air filters too when comparingnoem to aftermarket. If it trapped dirt well, it was a more restrictive filter. If it passed more dirt, it was a better flowing filter. Theres always a trade off between performance and function. I may end up going back to a stock fuel filter yet, will have ro see what happens with the donaldson.

Eager for the coming results as usual Bob
Theres a part of me that wonders if there is some intent here in the design side of the filter. A more open filter would naturally flow more fuel, at first. But over time, it would plug up and may actually start filtering, but more importantly, would be less likely to plug up if not serviced. Perhaps we are in the minority on frequent filter changes, and the cheapo ones work fine if you leave them on the truck for 3 years at a time?

Imagine one of the low flow filters tested put in that same situation? odds are good it would either pack full of crud and prevent flow, or it would tear the element open to flow bypass.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 02:44 PM
HWI

Just changed my fuel filter from a Baldwin to a Racor after the recent discovery we had where some of the red Baldwin's were actually single element. Looks like I should have gone ACDelco. I'll wait on that change until my regularly scheduled maintenance since I have the filters on my lift pump.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #25 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 04:20 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Just changed my fuel filter from a Baldwin to a Racor after the recent discovery we had where some of the red Baldwin's were actually single element. Looks like I should have gone ACDelco. I'll wait on that change until my regularly scheduled maintenance since I have the filters on my lift pump.
honestly at that point the stock filter is just there for oh shit cases.

post #26 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 06:19 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Old skool there People....

click on the thread tools tab, click to subscribe.....easier than typing out and also the biggie.....everyone else doesn't waste bandwidth in anticipation of seeing new info added....only to see an unfulfilling 'subscribed' posted.
Sorry. I was unaware of the subscribe button. I assumed there had to be a better way to monitor important threads... Thanks for the info!

2008 3500, crew cab, long bed 4wd. stock.
post #27 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop60 View Post
Sorry. I was unaware of the subscribe button. I assumed there had to be a better way to monitor important threads... Thanks for the info!
Even though I've already subscribed, if you use the Tapatalk app it has a subscribe ribbon at the top also. Makes it super easy to just to subscribe to something you were reading and suddenly have to stop.

As far as testing goes, are you going to be testing the ever popular cat filter? I've been thinking about ditching mine and going back to one with a water separator, but it was there when I bought the truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2006 Silverado 2500HD CCSB
345k+
Painted Stock wheels
post #28 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-09-2019, 07:34 PM

Thanks for all this Bob!

I used the Baldwin gold for so many years... now I am wishing I would not have! Glad to see the new red Baldwin did well. Think I will stick with AC Delco though.
AlisoBob and BIOTEC like this.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #29 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Thank you Bob for the time you put into this.

I spoke with Racor and they tell me both the PFF50216 and TP3018 are both built exactly the same. Obviously your testing showed some results that might say otherwise. What is the probability that maybe your test methods were not 100% accurate between each filter ?

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #30 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-10-2019, 11:38 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
Thanks for all this Bob!

I used the Baldwin gold for so many years... now I am wishing I would not have! Glad to see the new red Baldwin did well. Think I will stick with AC Delco though.

hey.... at last you weren't running the ijij or whatever filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Thank you Bob for the time you put into this.

I spoke with Racor and they tell me both the PFF50216 and TP3018 are both built exactly the same. Obviously your testing showed some results that might say otherwise. What is the probability that maybe your test methods were not 100% accurate between each filter ?
I would say there is a fair degree of error in the setup, however that error is randomly distributed and unbiased towards any particular filter. that error would be in flow rates and pressure which given the wide range our trucks run at from vacuum to +8 PSI, im not sure that plays a significant factor in the test. Since the test was "will X filter remove water from fuel" the results are pretty clear even without exact measurements. Since the purpose was not to determine how much water is separated, but instead which filter separates the most, i feel like the setup was sufficient to produce that result with a fair degree of accuracy.
BIOTEC, eli_harper13 and Gdady90 like this.

Last edited by J83; 12-10-2019 at 11:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in