The D-Max 2019 Filter Shootout... Pt 2 ! - Page 5 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

120Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 11:01 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Metal filter cutter....doesn't work so good on plastic.....and they charge 2x more for a lesser filter?

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdunlap View Post
I was just surprised that wix was not included in the comparisons.
I think it is
post #43 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Here we go for the final 4 tests, #9, 10 ,11, and 12.

Lets start with the WIX for #9, as there has been some interest in it.

Big name brand filter, what could go wrong? Everything!

Lets start with the screw in drain assembly. The little letter that comes with the filter brags these threads are molded in the the filter body.....

..except the threads are junk! It was the worst fit of any of the filters tested. I had to use tools to screw it in from about the 3rd thread in. Just a terrible fit.

Then ,I went to screw it onto the filter head. With all the other filters, you kind of have to shove it "UP" to get the center post of the filter head into the inner " Outlet" seal of the filter before the threads engage. Not on this filter. You just lift it, and the threads start to screw on. So I removed it and have a quick look.

The inner outlet seal looks very low, and very big compared to the other filters.
(I'm going to look at Christmas lights tonight and done have time to take measurements, I'll do that during the filter dissection portion , coming up later)

So I screw it back on, and start the test. VERY high flow rate, and water everywhere in the catch basin!

I let the test finish, but didnt waste anytime to let the water settle out, it's a complete fail.

I dont yet know where the issue is. It has to either have a defective element or a very poor seal at the outlet as mentioned above.

This is among the worst of the worst. Avoid this filter at all costs.

And now, I need to clean out the rig... again!
BIOTEC, HWI and eli_harper13 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Test # 10 is the aFe filter. It was real expensive at $55. Is it any good? I'll let you decide.

The flow was REAL slow. So slow that I terminated the test after 10 minutes due to such low flow.

This is all I got to pass through in 10 minutes, about 20 oz of diesel. It was very clean diesel however, no water was detected.

Why is flow so slow? Is the filter element super restrictive? I dont think so.

The issue appears to be the center post inside the filter. All DMax filters have a little post inside to lift up the checkball that prevents the hose from the filterhead to the injection pump draining out when you remove the filter.

If this post is too low, it does not lift the checkball high enough to allow good flow.

With suction from the CP3/4, or pressurized fuel from a lift pump perhaps this isnt a issue.

When gravity testing, its a huge issue. I'll take some measurements later to see exactly whats going on.

Afe prides itself as a big H/P making company. It's hard to make big H/P with such a restrictive filter.
HWI and Gdady90 like this.
post #45 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Test #11 is the Donaldson. Another big name brand.

The test went very well. Flow rate was good, water removal was good.

99.9% water removal.

All the water found in the filter sump.

But.... there was an issue.

I cant get the water drain assembly out of the filter! It just spins and spins because the plastic insert has broke free and its spinning inside the metal housing.

On one hand I'm giving Donaldson some slack because these threads were boogered up on two different occasions by different filters.

On the other hand, the filter drain assembly screwed in and out of the aFe without issue on the previous test, and it screwed into the Donaldson "ok". Not great, but ok. No tools were needed until the very end to snug up the oring.

But when taking it apart, the insert broke free, and now I cant retrieve the drain assembly to use on the final filter, and Autozone "Duralast" filter.

Oh well........ I wasn't expecting much from the Autozone filter anyways.
HWI, Truckman194 and Gdady90 like this.
post #46 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

So, my preference? ( Which means very little, you guys should do your own due diligence). Also, This only has to do with water removal

1. The AC Delco... hands down.
2. The Donaldson. ( I think the insert spinning was just a one time deal)
3-4. The Racor or the Red Baldwin. The Racor is a dual element that let a tiny bit of water by ( that may have been some kind of error on my part) and the Baldwin is a single element filter. I'm not totally sold on single element fuel filters.

The rest are not recommended.

During the "dissection" portion of the test, I'll try to get more verifiable stats on micron ratings and efficiency numbers. These are not as easy to come by as they were for the oil filter testing. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks for hanging in so far!
BIOTEC, snowpatrol, HWI and 3 others like this.
post #47 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 05:04 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

You’re the man! This is my first diesel and this information is extremely useful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 Silverado 2500HD LB7 ECSB LT
post #48 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:09 PM

Thank you for the work put into this. Very informative and goes to show how the different filters perform and help people make an informed decision instead if one based off of name alone.

2015.5 2500HD LML
post #49 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 03:58 AM

Great thread Bob ! Thank you for taking the time to test and publish your results. I use AC for my fuel filter unless I cannot get my hands on one then I use a Napa Gold(occaisionally)
post #50 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 07:22 AM

I'm gonna be honest, I have never been a fan of Wix. I really have no reason to dislike them (until now). I have never used any of their filters, so I have never had a bad experience. Maybe when I was a kid my dad didn't use them or something, who knows? But I have always cringed when someone says they use the Wix fuel filter on their Duramax. At least know I know I have a reason to cringe...
BIOTEC likes this.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode