The D-Max 2019 Filter Shootout... Pt 2 ! - Page 7 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

119Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
WIX
Big name brand filter, what could go wrong? Everything!
The inner outlet seal looks very low, and very big compared to the other filters.
I dont yet know where the issue is. It has to either have a defective element or a very poor seal at the outlet as mentioned above.
This is among the worst of the worst. Avoid this filter at all costs
The older Wix 33910 (NAPA 3910) was made by Racor for Wix, good filter, heavy duty compression seal at the outlet. When THIS filter got restricted, the pump started knocking to let you know it was time to change it out.
When they changed to the 33960, they manufactured this filter in house and they cheapened the filter by reducing the size of the filter element, big can, small filter...about the size of the inner filter on a coalescer and they used a thin rubber seal at the outlet that didn't seal worth a flip. When the filter became restricted, the raw unfiltered fuel easily bypassed this flimsy seal and went straight to the injectors. I know this because it cost me a set of injectors. I'm not familiar with the 33960XE but if it uses the same seal, this would explain why Bob had such poor results with the Wix. If this is the case, stay away from it.
HWI, LMLLover, steevoo and 1 others like this.

07 LBZ SLT 4X4 CrewCab/SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 01:29 PM

Location: ex Toowoomba QLD, now travelling on the road fulltime
Great write-up Bob thanks for your work and time
AlisoBob likes this.

Gdady90 HSV 2019 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Midnight 6.6 Duramax
post #63 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-17-2019, 05:01 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
I'm gonna be honest, I have never been a fan of Wix. I really have no reason to dislike them (until now). I have never used any of their filters, so I have never had a bad experience. Maybe when I was a kid my dad didn't use them or something, who knows? But I have always cringed when someone says they use the Wix fuel filter on their Duramax. At least know I know I have a reason to cringe...
I used wix filters a few times, since all that was on the shelf was wix or fram at the time. They are some of the worst fitting filters ive used. You think there bad screwing on and off the test head, just wait till it has a few thousand miles on it to affix itself to those threads. Im not a fan of them.
BIOTEC and eli_harper13 like this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Lets see... what's going on with the aFe.

Its another imposter... using the coalescing shape can, but containing a regular filter

The element and the lid are one piece, so I had to saw it open to see whats inside.

It's interesting to see the water / dye saturated the entire depth of the media, and traces of water were found inside. ( this may have occurred during the sawing process....)

This filter had terrible flow, compared to every other filter tested. I didn't know if it was the element, or the lifter that pushes up on the filter sealing ball... so measured it.

The AC Delco ( and the other filters) were very consistent in this measurement, right around 0.971"

The aFe measured in at 0.9975. We'll round this up to 1"

Could this 0.030" difference in lifting the filter head ball up and out of the way result in such poor gravity feed flow? Probably.

So there you have it.... another inferior filter sold at a premium price
steevoo and Gdady90 like this.
post #65 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 11:51 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I think i will be sticking with the 27$ AC Delco auto shipped by amazon, thanks for all the hard work bob.
AlisoBob, BIOTEC and eli_harper13 like this.

post #66 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Here is the WIX 33960. It has a tiny, single stage element inside.

It failed miserably , the instant the test started. Why?

Well, here's the answer.

The center post of the filter head measured

I then (carefully) measured the rubber seal on the filter element, not stretching the rubber any bigger. The "seal" is just a very thin, rubber washer.

The hole in the rubber seal is 0.015" bigger than the post, allowing unfiltered diesel to flow right by.

This is consistent with gently pushing the element onto to post. There is no resistance or feel when the seal and the post meet. It simply goes right over.

This is much different that what you find with the AC Delco filter, which uses a lipped seal to provide a very positive and secure sealing of the centerpost to the outlet of the filter element

And there you have it.... The AC Delco is the clear winner, as demonstrated by filtering, design, and construction.

The CP4's are proven to be far more finiky than their CP3 brothers. Using anything else besides a AC Delco filter is just asking for trouble.

I once contacted the big pump rebuilding houses to get their input on the CP4 failures. They all said the same thing.

1. Considering the number of CP4 pumps on the road, the failure rate is very small and overblown.

2. In every failure they saw, water and not debris was the major contributing factor.

The AC Delco was the best at stopping water.....

Period.
steevoo and Gdady90 like this.
post #67 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
I think i will be sticking with the 27$ AC Delco
Good advice......
post #68 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJokr View Post
I seem to recall results like this with the air filters too when comparingnoem to aftermarket. If it trapped dirt well, it was a more restrictive filter. If it passed more dirt, it was a better flowing filter. Theres always a trade off between performance and function.
There is also the factor of media area vs. capacity. If a filter is designed to be "long life" it's area has to be bigger, or the particle capture size has to be bigger.

If not, the filter will plug up.

This is the Wix filter tested, the 33960XE. XE means xtended life. They even mention it in the description.

How can a extended life filter, have a smaller element? It must not catch much?
Gdady90 likes this.
post #69 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:33 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Do you have any recommendations for fuel filter/water separator for a fass lift pump?
post #70 of 98 (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 02:52 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU15_Duramax View Post
Do you have any recommendations for fuel filter/water separator for a fass lift pump?

I would use the FASS filters speced for the pump and then run an AC Delco at the factory filter head to catch anything that either made it through, or came off the inside of a line or something between the rear filters and the CP3/4
LMLMAO likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode