Ok, the testing has begun! PLEASE do not comment until I tell you it's safe to do so, OK! Otherwise, the thread will turn into a big mess.
First, the rig and the way the test's were conducted.
Here is the rig, its gravity fed and filters were tested in the following manor.
1. A gallon of clean diesel was run through the filter to wet all filter media before the test. Also, for filter test #2 and beyond, this first gallon of clean fuel also flushes out anything left after the previous test.
2. All filters are tested at gravity fuel feed speed. I decided to do this instead of a fixed flow rate. I did this as most all these filters have aprox the same filtering area. If one filters flow rate in slower, then it's safe to assume it's micron rating might be smaller, or if a filter flows fast, it's micron rating might be bigger. I use the word "might" as who knows the actual micron rating. Getting legit answers from the filter makers was nearly impossible. All filters had 1 gallon of diesel, and 8 oz of dyed water. The funnel was always held at the same height to create the same "head pressure" I tried to repeat each test in exactly the same way. I also tried to take enough photos to record everything, but due to time and blue diesel covered hands, it was hard to take enough photos or "action shots". The filters were tested in random order except for filter #1 , The AC Delco filter.
3. Some filters are "One Stage" filters, some are Two. Some filters are barrier or absorbent type filters, some are coalescing filters. For our purpose, the term coalescing means "To gather up". It collects micro droplets or water, to combine them into larger droplets that fall to the bottom of the filter. Some filters are both barrier AND coalescing as I found out. There are many surprizes ahead.
4. I will use "percentages " of trapped water. These are in no way scientific measurements. The photos speak for themselves. If you want to apply your own percentages to the images, by all means do. I was going to try to makes this more scientific than it turned out being.... with all the holidays and my workload, I decided to just get it done. All collection trays were propped up at a angle for 5 minutes to let the water settle and combine into larger droplets. Sorry to those expecting more. As it was, testing under these parameters took all day.
So........ here we go!!