2 Quart oil filters using OEM Adapter - Page 4 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:36 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
If the Duramax has a by-pass built-in then

7.8” hanging at a angle full of oil vs a 10.3” hanging at the same angle full of oil, this would be more downward pressure against the cast housing.
yes, however the difference is a couple of foot pounds. There are guys hanging whole turbos off the side of the block. Im not arguing necessarily that one is better then the other, just that the difference in force exerted on the block by the two filters is trivial compared to other loads on the engine that it sees daily under normal use.

if the thing was made of depleted uranium (density of 19 g/cm3) then id say your totally right, but there's just not enough mass present to argue that the cast housing is in danger of failure from the increase in load from the longer filter.

Also the values i used are very inflated, the real world numbers would be much lower if you did the math correctly with an integral equation for total torque applied.

Edit:

based on 2" radius for filter (factory diameter is just under 4" per google) at specified lengths above. This is not the true torque, this is the maximum torque, as if the filled filters were hung off an empty filter from the tip.

Rough torque for factory filter: 3.3 foot pounds
Rough torque for longer filter: 4.3 foot pounds

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 01-06-2020 at 03:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I won’t have to be concerned, I wouldn’t run that 10.3” filter with 1” adapter anyway.
Even Empire Cat was discouraging about running that large of a filter when I was picking up my 550832.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-06-2020 at 04:03 PM.
post #33 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post

I would agree with you, however this seems to contradict your point

The guy contradicts himself in every post. Old trees rot at the top.
ShopSpecialties likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 03:56 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
I won’t have to be concerned, I wouldn’t run that 10.3” filter with 1” adapter anyway.
Even Empire Cat was discouraging about running that large of a filter when I was picking up my 560832.
I am not making an argument for one filter or the other, i am just saying there is no reason to worry about either of the filters mechanically damaging the block due to the added load of the oil weight, or extension of the filter as the loads produced by any of the filters currently being discussed on this site for use on the duramax pose no mechanical threat, at least from size complications, to the integrity of the block. This seems to pop up fairly regularly on bobs thread as well as a concern, so i really just wanted to put that concern to bed over anything else. I do not care at all what filter you, or other owners run on there trucks. I understand the points you are making about your filter compared to bobs, and the factory. I also understand the points bob is making about his filter compared to yours. At the end of the day i think the two of you are saying a lot of similar things and are just getting caught up in the terminology more then anything else.

post #35 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Email from Donaldson on the rating.

Hi Dan

One thing to keep in mind is the difference in the efficiency ratings.

It would be far more convenient if we did go back and re-rate the older filters at the new level.

I’m not certain what you know about them, the numbers can be deceiving. These are 2 different ratings and cannot be directly compared.
The micron is the size of the particles it is capturing. So one filter is capturing smaller particles, 20 vs 30 micron, than the other.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Colleen

Colleen Smith | Technical Inside Sales Team Lead
Donaldson Company, Inc. | Engine Aftermarket & Hydraulic
Phone: 952-703-4890 | Toll Free: 800-374-1374 | Fax: 952-887-3716
[email protected] | www.donaldson.com | www.donaldson.com

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-06-2020 at 04:05 PM.
post #36 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:14 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
just for the record, with a density of 0.93 g/cm3 and a diameter of 4", assuming that all the volume was filled with oil, and all of the mass of that oil was set at the far end of 12" away from the block which would be worst case from a torque perspective you are putting 5 ft/lbs on the casting maximum.
I wasn't considering the leverage of just the longer filter weight, not much there with the math. What I was concerned with was a longer lever hanging out and a foreign object impacting it....which would dramatically increase that torque load on the casting.
Cheater pipe, if you will.
D_R_C and blythkd1 like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #37 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:56 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
I wasn't considering the leverage of just the longer filter weight, not much there with the math. What I was concerned with was a longer lever hanging out and a foreign object impacting it....which would dramatically increase that torque load on the casting.
Cheater pipe, if you will.
I think your odds of something coming under the truck and impacting the filter 3 inches behind the factory location is quite unlikely, unless your talking about the front shaft, which would take out the factory filter too if it failed.
AlisoBob likes this.

post #38 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 06:22 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
All of my trucks are missing the front shaft.
There's always unavoidable road debris. Had a ladder once, installed open headers on me.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #39 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 06:39 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
All of my trucks are missing the front shaft.
There's always unavoidable road debris. Had a ladder once, installed open headers on me.

ok.... so would installing a shorter engine have saved you from buying new headers though?
Hook'em_Horns! likes this.

post #40 of 65 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 08:15 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Strange things happen when you're a Road Warrior.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode