Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2 Quart oil filters using OEM Adapter

17K views 71 replies 18 participants last post by  6686L 
#1 · (Edited)
Incase anyone is interested there are several 2 quart oil filters available that's actually for early model small and big block Chevys, and many other vehicles with the same threads and diameter as the OEM Duramax oil filter, but longer
here's 2 that I was able to easily find specs on.
They don't have the by-pass valve which is set to open having 15-20 lb springs, IMO is a good thing not having, possibly returning dirty oil to the engine, also they don't have a anti-drain back valve, which concerned me a little with possibly having dry starts after setting.
With the angle of the oil filter this has not been a problem, and no-longer a concern.

Pictured from left to right.
AC Delco PF2232 30 micron OEM $9.00 @ Amazon - 2 qt Ac Delco PF932 30 micron $10.50 @ Amazon - 2 qt Donaldson P550832 20 micron $11.50 @ my local Empire Cat. which is a Donaldson dealer.
The Donaldson is a little harder to find for a good price, but I like the oil drain-back on it compared to the AC Delco PF932, which led me to start off with the Donaldson, making it now a 11 quart capacity having better filtering.
Oil pressure is just a few psi higher, a little harder to evaluate with the much colder temps we now have.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
You might consider re-checking the micron specs for the Donaldson P550832 it is a 20 micron filter.
One qt filter vs 2 quart filter will increase filtering overtime, pretty simple math it should be even for you.
https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-us/product/P550832/20534#
Click on "SHOW MORE"
As usual always condescending before thinking/searching/talking.
I thought you might have a intelligent response, you didn't, now your back on the ignore list.

#6 ·
No worries, I'll explain it .....

At 50% efficiency, its catching half the particles at 20 microns and larger, and letting the other half through. That's pretty average filtration.

Most filters are rated and compared at "absolute" or 98.7% efficiency.

That Donaldson at 98.7% is probably 35 to 40 microns. Again, this is just an average , run of the mill filter. Just because it's twice as big doesn't mean or do anything.

Wallyword = Walmart. Their "Supertech" line of filters are in the 35 to 40 micron range at 98.7% efficiency. They cost $3.

#10 · (Edited)
It’s always been known as any filter gets dirtier less crap get thru, including airfilters.
I always disagree, because less air is going thru as well as oil.
If you disagree then give Donaldson a call.

It’s still better than the OEM, Baldwin, etc, your Amsoil EAO52 is a one qt filter = shorter life.

#12 ·
He's been like this since the beginning, knows it all.
"Hello Kettle"

:rofl

#13 ·
Ya, maybe in the past, but I’m not the one starting chit and actually I’ve never started the
Bull Shit.
Go back in history who started the BS, including bs you’ve started. :rofl
PCV re-route bring back memories. :wink2:

Reactions: Fusionteck
#14 · (Edited)
You mean that useless mod that makes you feel better? :teehee

Yes, you are more tolerable these days than in the past. :howdy

Edit;
I just don't care for that 2 foot long filter hanging off of a cast filter mount....looks like it just begs to be snapped off.

#29 · (Edited)
just for the record, with a density of 0.93 g/cm3 and a diameter of 4", assuming that all the volume was filled with oil, and all of the mass of that oil was set at the far end of 12" away from the block which would be worst case from a torque perspective you are putting 5 ft/lbs on the casting maximum. Realistically it is MUCH lower then that since the mass is distributed over the full length of the filter and not actually concentrated at the end, but i dont think anyone wants to get into calculus. The mass change of the filter and the length change of the filter are non issues with the materials in question.

Its actually 7.87” long OEM is 5.3” which = 2.5” longer than OEM.
The DBL7483 needing a 1” adapter mentioned on another thread is 10.3” which = 5” longer than OEM add the larger diameter, the extra weight of the oil, now this one would be a big concern hanging at a angle from the cast filter mount.

That useless mod makes me feel real good like my HORNEY GOAT WEED supplement, for those special moments at night.:thumb. :wink2:
That filter would have a maximum ideal torque (calculated the same way as above in a fictional world with easy worst case physics) of 4.2 ft/lbs.

I’ve been debating switching to one of these larger filters but hesitant because of the lack of bypass, just realized today I’ve been running the non bypass PF932 on my 6.5 truck for years with no issue.
There is also a bypass valve built into the filter head inside the block.

The PF932 is a 30 micron @ 98%
It’s still better having more filter area over the one qt filters.

I would agree with you, however this seems to contradict your point about the filter getting dirty as part of the filtration process. Double the surface area, double the time to pack it, double the time your running oil filtered to a maximum of 30 micron.

Adding double the filtering capacity at the SAME micron rating as factory will just take twice as long to pack the filter to the point where it filters well, if we are using the logic that the filter is designed to use contaminants caught as part of the filtering process.

The difference though is that the filter bob is talking about starts off at quite a bit lower micron rating, so out of the box it is filtering as well as the higher micron filter would filter dirty. That is where the larger surface area helps you because the filter will pack with contaminants faster, but since its lower micron will also plug up faster, doubling the surface area on that filter doubles the life of the filter while still maintaining lower overall filtration through its entire service life.

#15 · (Edited)
Its actually 7.87” long OEM is 5.3” which = 2.5” longer than OEM.
The DBL7483 needing a 1” adapter mentioned on another thread is 10.3” which = 5” longer than OEM add the larger diameter, the extra weight of the oil, now this one would be a big concern hanging at a angle from the cast filter mount.

That useless mod makes me feel real good like my HORNEY GOAT WEED supplement, for those special moments at night.:thumb. :wink2:

Reactions: Fusionteck
#16 ·
sux when ya get old. :rofl

Tongkat Ali, FTW

#18 ·
I have 400k on my 02 dmax,stock ac filter,oil changes betw 8500 and 10k.is there a problem.lol

#20 ·
This thread is referring to having better filtration with larger filters.
Continue on with what you’ve been doing for 400k. LOL.

#19 ·
Back in the day when changing oil at 3,000 you really didn’t need the by-pass.
These days with people doing extended oil changes with some pushing farther than recommended the by-pass might be a good idea if the oil filter gets to dirty.
When the by-pass spring opens @ 15-20 psi to allow the oil flow unfiltered oil is going back thru the engine by-passing the filter.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&...
Sep 10, 2009 · As a result all the oil is not being filtered at start up. In order for all the oil to be filtered there can be no bypass valve. Without the bypass valve, all the oil would have to go through the filter, before going to the engine internals etc.

nominal and absolute can be a little confusing when not stated.
https://www.ecogard.com/truth-about-oil-filter-micron-ratings/

#21 ·
As a result all the oil is not being filtered at start up.
What 'bout the bypass built in on the Dmax, used @ start up?

#24 ·
Are you questioning Bob the oil guy ?

#22 ·
20 micron at 50% efficiency is not better filtration. If you have so much dirt, bearing material, contaminates, etc that cannot be contained in a standard size Duramax oil filter for at least a normal OCI you have issues elsewhere that need to be addressed.

There are literally tens of thousands of actual real world data in UOA that show the standard filter more than does the job. I have over 460,000 miles using the Mobil 1 filter to 20,000 miles with oil changes at 40,000 miles with zero issues.

#25 ·
Bob who?

#26 ·
The PF932 is a 30 micron @ 98%
It’s still better having more filter area over the one qt filters.

#28 · (Edited)
Considering I've been using the PF2232 (1 qt) 30 micron for 12 1/2 + years without any issues, like our forum filter xpert claims the AC Delco is the worse oil filter on the market.
I haven't read anywhere where GM has had any engine failures because of the AC Delco oil filters they use.

I just got off the phone with Donaldson on the micron rating which is still a little confusing the P550832 they only list the 20 micron @ 50%, which I don't really care.
But they did confirm since its a direct cross replacement for the AC Delco PF932, it will be the same 30 micron rating, apples to apples, they just don't measure this aftermarket filter that way.'dunno;

I like the looks of the oil drain back of the 550832 over the 932.
The Donaldson appeared to be a little lighter, so I was then curious and weighed all 3.
PF2232 - 535 grams
PF932- 605 grams
P550832 575 grams
Not that this really means anything.

#30 ·
If the Duramax has a by-pass built-in then there’s no need of a filter with a by-pass.
I have no concerns with filter having better filtration as it gets dirty, this was Donaldsons theory.

I’m content with having 30 micron.

Back in the day pretty much every gear head would look for a larger capacity oil filter that screwed on the factory adapter that fit.
That’s what I’m talking about.
Now, I need to find one for my Yukon Denali if it would even exist.

7.8” hanging at a angle full of oil vs a 10.3” hanging at the same angle full of oil, this would be more downward pressure against the cast housing.

#31 · (Edited)
If the Duramax has a by-pass built-in then

7.8” hanging at a angle full of oil vs a 10.3” hanging at the same angle full of oil, this would be more downward pressure against the cast housing.
yes, however the difference is a couple of foot pounds. There are guys hanging whole turbos off the side of the block. Im not arguing necessarily that one is better then the other, just that the difference in force exerted on the block by the two filters is trivial compared to other loads on the engine that it sees daily under normal use.

if the thing was made of depleted uranium (density of 19 g/cm3) then id say your totally right, but there's just not enough mass present to argue that the cast housing is in danger of failure from the increase in load from the longer filter.

Also the values i used are very inflated, the real world numbers would be much lower if you did the math correctly with an integral equation for total torque applied.

Edit:

based on 2" radius for filter (factory diameter is just under 4" per google) at specified lengths above. This is not the true torque, this is the maximum torque, as if the filled filters were hung off an empty filter from the tip.

Rough torque for factory filter: 3.3 foot pounds
Rough torque for longer filter: 4.3 foot pounds

#32 · (Edited)
I won’t have to be concerned, I wouldn’t run that 10.3” filter with 1” adapter anyway.
Even Empire Cat was discouraging about running that large of a filter when I was picking up my 550832.

#34 ·
I won’t have to be concerned, I wouldn’t run that 10.3” filter with 1” adapter anyway.
Even Empire Cat was discouraging about running that large of a filter when I was picking up my 560832.
I am not making an argument for one filter or the other, i am just saying there is no reason to worry about either of the filters mechanically damaging the block due to the added load of the oil weight, or extension of the filter as the loads produced by any of the filters currently being discussed on this site for use on the duramax pose no mechanical threat, at least from size complications, to the integrity of the block. This seems to pop up fairly regularly on bobs thread as well as a concern, so i really just wanted to put that concern to bed over anything else. I do not care at all what filter you, or other owners run on there trucks. I understand the points you are making about your filter compared to bobs, and the factory. I also understand the points bob is making about his filter compared to yours. At the end of the day i think the two of you are saying a lot of similar things and are just getting caught up in the terminology more then anything else.

#35 · (Edited)
Email from Donaldson on the rating.

Hi Dan

One thing to keep in mind is the difference in the efficiency ratings.

It would be far more convenient if we did go back and re-rate the older filters at the new level.

I’m not certain what you know about them, the numbers can be deceiving. These are 2 different ratings and cannot be directly compared.
The micron is the size of the particles it is capturing. So one filter is capturing smaller particles, 20 vs 30 micron, than the other.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Thank you,
Colleen

Colleen Smith | Technical Inside Sales Team Lead
Donaldson Company, Inc. | Engine Aftermarket & Hydraulic
Phone: 952-703-4890 | Toll Free: 800-374-1374 | Fax: 952-887-3716
Colleen.Smith@donaldson.com | www.donaldson.com | www.donaldson.com

#38 ·
All of my trucks are missing the front shaft. :howdy
There's always unavoidable road debris. Had a ladder once, installed open headers on me. :teehee

#40 ·
Strange things happen when you're a Road Warrior. :teehee

#41 ·
You got that right, brother! Gators scare the hell out of me more than anything else. I can dodge them myself but there's always some dumba** out there that just can't avoid them. A while back someone rounded one up on the interstate and pitched it right out in front of me. And if you think those things won't do some undercarriage damage, you got another thing comin.

When you pull new rv's for a living, you typically have to have $1000-1500 on deposit with your company for a damage deposit. I know a guy that lost his damage deposit last year when he rounded up a gator and it wiped out the front of his camper. Of course, it doesn't take much to wipe out a camper. I had a blowout on one last year that pretty much took out the whole right side.

It seems like there's a ton of crap on our highways anymore. I don't know if we're getting too lazy to make sure things are secure in our vehicle or if we're just getting too lazy to stop and pick stuff up. Either way, I think it comes down to being lazy.

#42 ·
Listen to that Turbo Brake....

#43 ·
Dammit....I don’t dare & try & go out on the public roads today...bet the roads are closed because all the Dura-max trucks broke down & are blocking all roads with their smoking carcasses because they used the wrong oil filter...

#45 ·
we used the 932 filters on our NASCAR BGN 30,000 dollar motors, great filter, I don't think professional race motor builders would recommend a filter that was of poor quality, you do not sell alot of race motors if people see them exploding on the race track,

#47 · (Edited)
Counter argument. Race motors are expected to have short lives and die gloriously so oil flow may be more important then filtration in that application so what is "best" for a race application may not equate to best for all applications.

It's a win-win for me, larger area to trap particles = longer life if wanted without concerns, no by-pass valve built-in allowing unfiltered oil thru to the engine.
If the Duramax has a by-pass built-in like mentioned at least filtered oil will now by-pass, its only about 2 1/2" longer compared to OEM, having the same diameter as OEM.:wink2: :thumb sealed with a :x

unless i am mistaken, the oil in the internal bypass would bypass the filter and not be filtered oil, it would come straight from the sump through the oil pump. It functions no differently then a bypass valve on the filter, though its likely more robust.

#46 ·
It's a win-win for me, larger area to trap particles = longer life if wanted without concerns, no by-pass valve built-in allowing unfiltered oil thru to the engine.
If the Duramax has a by-pass built-in like mentioned at least filtered oil will now by-pass, its only about 2 1/2" longer compared to OEM, having the same diameter as OEM.:wink2: :thumb sealed with a :x

This is info with the Cat IR-1807 having no by-pass valve, same concept as the 932/550832 being a true flow filter with no by-pass valve.
When the small OEM sized filter is not able to flow the amount of oil needed to flow through it, there is something called a bypass valve that is used. Every factory and factory replacement Duramax filter will have this bypass valve. The CAT 1R-1807 filter does not have this valve as it is a true flow filter.
This valve sits at the bottom of filter casing. When the filter cannot flow enough oil through it, the value opens up and sends dirty, unfiltered, liquid sandpaper through your engine. This can lead to sucking up and throwing all the dirt and tiny metal shavings through expensive parts such as the oil pump, crank journal bearings, turbo journal bearing, cylinder walls, cam shaft, rocker arms, etc.. When does this bypass valve open? We don't know. Does it open at 4,000 miles, 7,000 miles, high oil pressure when cold, or does it open at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.