White smoke on cold start up and Black on acceleration - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Question White smoke on cold start up and Black on acceleration

I would like to start off with apologizing if this is in the wrong section, i am new here

So couple of issues or concerns about my 6.6L LMM, for starters its my first winter with a diesel so i am not sure what is right and not right with a diesel in the cold or really in general. So, for starters in the summer i would be driving and if i do a slow enough but hard enough acceleration that it doesn't shift it will blow a little bit of black smoke until i let off (not allot of smoke). rarely i would get a Fuel rail system pressure too low (engine power reduced) code i would clear it no issues, most of the time by the time i would fill up again it would stop doing it. seems to happen significantly less when the fuel filter has been replaced.

Next is during the winter. Right now it is -16 degrees Celsius (or 3 degrees Fahrenheit for you Americans :P) without the windchill. Upon startup it blows white smoke until it is warmed up, is this normal? (I did have it plugged in the coolant return lines wasn't too warm but glow plugs didn't run so it wasn't cold either) then i did notice that today when i backed up to a snow bank after letting it run for like 10 mns there the snow had not allot of black but there was a little but of black on the snow. don't know if this is normal or not but it also smokes white when it is below 0 degrees Celsius. Oil was just replaced before winter (less than 4k ago) mid summer the thermostats where replaced. All of fluids are at proper levels.

Lastly, charging system. Didn't pay much attention to it before but i just replaced the batteries and i put fairly larger batteries than stock in there with higher cold cranking amps, and i have noticed that normally upon start up the charging system doesn't come on or at least it is lower for the first bit (not at 14 more like 12.4/5 maybe a bit higher) and it then goes up slowly when it does. Could this be the truck letting the batteries warm up a bit before charging them or is it because they are bigger so it doesn't need to come on until its used a bit.. i haven't tested them in warm weather to know if they do the same thing or not since i replaced them this winter, so was just wondering that that could be.

Thank you in advance !

Truck is a 2008 GMC Sierra SLE Crew Cab 2500HD 6.6L Duramax with the LMM and has just under 400 thousand KM on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-20-2020, 12:22 PM

Short answer, all sounds normal, don't worry.

Cold exhaust white smoke is mostly condensation at that temp

Voltage is probably showing glow plug activity when cold, sounds normal, my lmm does the same

Black smoke sounds normal on deleted truck. might be on stock as well. Possible some of the smoke is from the turbo vains transitioning when you apply throttle, perhaps they are getting sluggish?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 AM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Like what ‘corneredge’ mentioned pretty normal.
Voltage when starting cold you have the glow plugs and grid heater (if you still have it) drawing power for several seconds then they shut down your volts go back to normal.

Cold fuel can do strange things, are you using a fuel additive with anti-gel, if not you might consider doing this.
Are you turning the key on and waiting several seconds to start it at least until that little squiggly glow plug light goes out ?

I’ve found in cold temps like your dealing with to turn the key on wait a additional 10-15 seconds before you start the engine helps a little.

You might also consider checking the “Fuel Injector Balance Rates”, by what my diesel shops mentioned to me years ago that this is something that’s a good idea at least every 6 months to check.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DBF279D3-D9E2-4193-BA52-94301E1980DC.jpg (44.3 KB, 73 views)

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Like what ‘corneredge’ mentioned pretty normal.
Voltage when starting cold you have the glow plugs and grid heater (if you still have it) drawing power for several seconds then they shut down your volts go back to normal.

Cold fuel can do strange things, are you using a fuel additive with anti-gel, if not you might consider doing this.
Are you turning the key on and waiting several seconds to start it at least until that little squiggly glow plug light goes out ?

I’ve found in cold temps like your dealing with to turn the key on wait a additional 10-15 seconds before you start the engine helps a little.

You might also consider checking the “Fuel Injector Balance Rates”, by what my diesel shops mentioned to me years ago that this is something that’s a good idea at least every 6 months to check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by corneredge View Post
Short answer, all sounds normal, don't worry.

Cold exhaust white smoke is mostly condensation at that temp

Voltage is probably showing glow plug activity when cold, sounds normal, my lmm does the same

Black smoke sounds normal on deleted truck. might be on stock as well. Possible some of the smoke is from the turbo vains transitioning when you apply throttle, perhaps they are getting sluggish?

Thank you both! voltage is a relief No, the truck is not deleted (At least not yet lol)) as for starting, i wasn't aware anything was happening if the glow plugs weren't running (no glow plug light since the block was plugged in), anything else was happening ill have to keep that in mind. The truck is completely stock so if it came with a grid heater its still there. As for the anti-gel, i have some on my shelf, i might use it if it continues to be as cold as it did, but today it warmed up a little bit.

How would i check the Fuel Injector Balance Rates? Can i use a OBII Reader, i have one its not a abs one but it works for quite a bit.

Also, in the summer time when i start the truck cold and drive away for the first say 30 seconds or before i reach a speed i hear a loud fan noise and then it goes away, would this be the Grid Heater?

Thank you !!
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:20 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Fan noise is normal when engine is cold clutch is engaged, if it stops making this noise completely when cold before it warms up you might check out the fan clutch.
Being plugged in is probably why you don't see the glow plug light.
If your temps are below 30 degrees you really should consider using a additive with anti-gel every tank, not just once in a while.
In fact it'd be a good idea to always use a additive year round when it's warmer you won't need the anti-gel.
You won't hear the grid heater running you'll just notice the voltage lower until both the glow plugs and grid heater shut down.

Dan

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Fan noise is normal when engine is cold clutch is engaged, if it stops making this noise completely when cold before it warms up you might check out the fan clutch.
Being plugged in is probably why you don't see the glow plug light.
If your temps are below 30 degrees you really should consider using a additive with anti-gel every tank, not just once in a while.
In fact it'd be a good idea to always use a additive year round when it's warmer you won't need the anti-gel.
You won't hear the grid heater running you'll just notice the voltage lower until both the glow plugs and grid heater shut down.
Okay, that sounds good to me.

What additive would you recommend?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 03:06 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Opening up Pandora’s box with that question.
Diesel Kleen in the White bottle for anti-gel.
For warmer climates Diesel Kleen in the silver bottle it has a little more cetane.
BOWTIE67 likes this.

Dan

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Opening up Pandora’s box with that question.
Diesel Kleen in the White bottle for anti-gel.
For warmer climates Diesel Kleen in the silver bottle it has a little more cetane.
Alright. Thank you ! what about injector cleaners ? yes, no ? if yes which one ?

Also on the side note, i am looking at deleting my truck but not until the summer comes along so i am gathering up information for when i do it. Looking at going to a straight 5" from down pipe, deleting the EGR, should i completely remove the EGR or should i just use blocker plates, I've heard you get better performance and less stress is put on the engine by doing a delete rather a blocker plate. Is this true ? what tuning system should i go with ? EFI Live or something like a bullydog tuner? when it comes to which tunes i would like to run i want some form of towing tune, a more like city? tune kinda thing for casual driving, fuel economy, and maybe a performance tune but i don't want to have to build my tranny or anything (not yet anyway couple years away from this) so one that is kinda best of both worlds.. I also noticed in your signature a turbo break, is this a software or a new turbo that you have put in ? as well as the diy air box, what i that compared to a performance one ?

thank you !
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 05:51 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Diesel Kleen cleans injectors, LUCAS fuel treatment IMO also is a good injector cleaner.
DK has cetane boost.
I use both mixed on every tank since 2003.
Bully dog doesn’t support deleting emissions, very few if any canned tuners will these days.

You might re-evaluate your thoughts on 5” downpipe back exhaust.
At least consider keeping the stock cat, you’ll regret it when you have extreme drone and stinky exhaust if you get rid of the stock cat.
I did after 5 years and put my stock cat back on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 81A10E13-C2EA-427A-AB78-B4625723565F.jpg (54.5 KB, 45 views)

Dan

post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Diesel Kleen cleans injectors, LUCAS fuel treatment IMO also is a good injector cleaner.
DK has cetane boost.
I use both mixed on every tank since 2003.
Bully dog doesn’t support deleting emissions, very few if any canned tuners will these days.

You might re-evaluate your thoughts on 5” downpipe back exhaust.
At least consider keeping the stock cat, you’ll regret it when you have extreme drone and stinky exhaust if you get rid of the stock cat.
I did after 5 years and put my stock cat back on.
So, if i get the 5" straight back from the downpipe, am i able to add the cat back in? because if i buy one with the cat in then i would have to buy a whole new exaust if i wanna remove it yes?

and who would you recommend to tune then ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in