Best Oil Filter - Page 19 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:22 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
well if you care about the environment 22 filters is a lot of pollution, plus I can clean my filter weekly if I want and every part is as new not paper saturated with oil,. I have looked at 5000 mile filters at a lab and they are disgusting, people will use what they like and like I use Amsoil 15/40 Heavy duty Diesel oil even as a dealer its expensive

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 06:02 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
1. Well if you care about the environment 22 filters is a lot of pollution
2. I can clean my filter weekly if I want
1. Next time you clean it, post a photo of the waste generated in doing so. ( And you do realize your driving a diesel, right? Not exactly eco-friendly from the get go)

2. Now THATS funny!!!!!!
Dean E likes this.
post #183 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 07:08 AM

Donaldson black and gold ELF7483 VS Baby blue DBL7483
Ordered what I though was suppose to be a DBL7483. Opened the package and it is the ELF7483. I've heard this is the exact same filter but if correct the ELF hasn't been made since 2014. I've done google research but it is spotty. Thoughts???

2016 LML White Denali HD 2500 leveled
SODA Novocain Wheels
Amp Steps
Air Dog 100
Bean Sump
Bilstein 5100
Bushwacker color matched
Ridge Grapplers
Putco Bed Rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
HUBB will not publish absolute ( 98.7%) efficiency numbers.

Hmmmmmm.......... I wonder why?

$220 = 8 Donaldson DBL7483's....

8 Donaldson DBL7483 filters = 128,000 miles of driving @ 15 micron filtration, and I dont have to clean anything...

$220 = 22 Baldwin B1441 = 220,000 miles of driving at 26 micron filtration

Hubb? No thanks...
https://www.hubbfilters.com/wp-conte...Spec-Sheet.pdf

Here is a link to their page. I don't doubt it is a good filter but I have always been a bit skeptical on a good cleaning process for these types of filters. To properly clean a metal mesh style filter like this should be done in a ultrasound solvent tank. Some of these manufacturers suggest just washing it with some brake cleaner, blow dry and reinstall. I would be concerned after a few cleaning cycles how good the filtering would be. I know what I have when I put in a new replaceable filter. I also agree on the price difference. Dean
post #185 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 11:04 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post

I would be concerned after a few cleaning cycles how good the filtering would be.

25 microns = 9/10,000 of a inch. I think it would be impossible to manufacture a stainless steel screen to those dimensions repeatably, and to maintain that during the cleaning process.

Also, a stainless screen is a "barrier" filter. Debris stacks up on it, like leaves on a screen door. Cellulose and Synthetic filter media are "matirx" filters where the debris can get caught up anywhere in the media.

Matrix filters have a huge advantage in the amount of area to capture debris.

HUBB claims a 5X advantage .....

The reduced emissions part is pretty funny.

I dont believe any of the claims made by HUBB
Dean E likes this.
post #186 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 11:45 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
well if you care about the environment 22 filters is a lot of pollution, plus I can clean my filter weekly if I want and every part is as new not paper saturated with oil,. I have looked at 5000 mile filters at a lab and they are disgusting, people will use what they like and like I use Amsoil 15/40 Heavy duty Diesel oil even as a dealer its expensive

so, if i care about the environment, ill switch to a filter that still dumps globs of oily crap down a drain or into a land fill when cleaned, has a higher carbon price to produce and likely does not filter as well which would reduce the life span of my truck causing it to end up in a landfill sooner, and forcing me to spend more carbon on a new vehicle? Its like the prius vs diesel arguments. Your prius runs on electons almost certainly generated by burning hydrocarbons, but now you have losses in efficiency so are you really any better? not to mention the insane carbon price to produce the vehicle battery pack. Just because you can look at something in a box and say its "green" doesent mean the planet as a whole is better for you owning it.

Im just saying.... maybe the environmental argument is not the way to play this one....

lets look at this filters data sheet for a second and highlight some of the things they consider features....

Quote:
Improve oil flow by up to 5 times, when compared to conventional filters, to reduce
engine friction
increasing the oil flow rate beyond what is required for the engine would have no impact on friction, but would likely indicate that the filtering stage is sub par to the paper filter, as flow rate and capture rates are very proportional to the amount of time the fluid is in contact with the filter media. This "up to" value is also likely to fall short of the standard filter quickly as there is very little surface area to capture material, so the filter will plug faster then usual and will then filter slowly.

Quote:
Filter-in-a-filter design that is 99% efficient at removing oil contaminants at 25 microns
(versus 52% for conventional filters)
so were just going to brag about marginal specs by making up fake stats for an unspecified conventional brand? im pretty sure even the FRAM filters are better then 52% at 25 micron...

Quote:
Two pressure differential valves for increased oil flow and engine safety
+1 for paying for a feature already built into the truck

Quote:
Produce an oil flow rate of up to 50 gallons/minute, compared to 10-12 gallons/minute
for conventional filters
Did i miss the part where were trying to fill a pipeline here? your engine does not move the whole sump 10 times a minute....

Quote:
Require only .2 PSI/gallon to push oil flow, compared to 7 PSI/gallon for conventional
filters
literally advertising the inferiority of there filtering material. the finer the filter material, the higher the pressure required to push through it, especially as it loads with material.

Quote:
Increase contaminant storage capacity by 5 times, but do not accumulate unrecyclable
oil like conventional filters
mhm.... im going to need to see the lab study on that one to believe its not just a blatant lie. so your storing more contaminants in less space? is it like a tardis inside?

Quote:
Reduce carbon monoxide emissions by up to 30% and nitric oxide emissions by up to
16%
*inserts most dramatic eye roll in history* ing how.....

Quote:
Ability to have Hubb clean the filters and manage your filter core inventory for you
yes, i would like a filter that is a premium price for sub par filtration with an option for me to disconnect it from my truck for 2 weeks while i ship it in for cleaning. That would be great thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
1. Next time you clean it, post a photo of the waste generated in doing so. ( And you do realize your driving a diesel, right? Not exactly eco-friendly from the get go)

2. Now THATS funny!!!!!!
Even post weight reduction my diesel is more green then half the gas "beaters with heaters" people daily drive around here. That said, im very pro 1983 jimmy because we all look great idling next to this 1800's steam engine chugging away on dino squeezings. And you thought only diesels could roll coal.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean E View Post

Here is a link to their page. I don't doubt it is a good filter but I have always been a bit skeptical on a good cleaning process for these types of filters. To properly clean a metal mesh style filter like this should be done in a ultrasound solvent tank. Some of these manufacturers suggest just washing it with some brake cleaner, blow dry and reinstall. I would be concerned after a few cleaning cycles how good the filtering would be. I know what I have when I put in a new replaceable filter. I also agree on the price difference. Dean
I fully agree, You are not going to get crud out of a 25 micron hole thats been packed into it at 80 PSI with a can of brake clean and hope. It may LOOK clean when your done, but its not clean... Not to mention i would imagine that any residual brake clean in the filter would do some REALLY nasty things to the inside of your engine.....

Anyone that owns an untrasonic gun cleaner has observed this, you get it as clean as you can / want to by hand (or dont...) and then throw it in the tank and the water still instantly turns to crud. Not to mention every time you dissasemble and reassemble this thing to clean it you are possibly creating a leak, and run some risk of damaging the very thin mesh thats keeping the ball bearings out of your rockers.

This whole idea just seems utterly ridiculous when you consider the cost of the hardware being protected by it.

If you wanted to run something like this as a PRE filter with a standard low micron filter behind it, id be all for that because it likely would increase your service interval a lot, however i would not trust this as the sole source of oil filtration on a $14K engine. Hell, based on some of the claims im not even sure id risk this on a 02 civic.
AlisoBob and Gdady90 like this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 12-31-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #187 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
so, if i care about the environment, ill switch to a filter that still dumps globs of oily crap down a drain or into a land fill when cleaned, has a higher carbon price to produce and likely does not filter as well which would reduce the life span of my truck causing it to end up in a landfill sooner, and forcing me to spend more carbon on a new vehicle? Its like the prius vs diesel arguments. Your prius runs on electons almost certainly generated by burning hydrocarbons, but now you have losses in efficiency so are you really any better? not to mention the insane carbon price to produce the vehicle battery pack. Just because you can look at something in a box and say its "green" doesent mean the planet as a whole is better for you owning it.

Im just saying.... maybe the environmental argument is not the way to play this one....

lets look at this filters data sheet for a second and highlight some of the things they consider features....

increasing the oil flow rate beyond what is required for the engine would have no impact on friction, but would likely indicate that the filtering stage is sub par to the paper filter, as flow rate and capture rates are very proportional to the amount of time the fluid is in contact with the filter media. This "up to" value is also likely to fall short of the standard filter quickly as there is very little surface area to capture material, so the filter will plug faster then usual and will then filter slowly.

so were just going to brag about marginal specs by making up fake stats for an unspecified conventional brand? im pretty sure even the FRAM filters are better then 52% at 25 micron...

+1 for paying for a feature already built into the truck

Did i miss the part where were trying to fill a pipeline here? your engine does not move the whole sump 10 times a minute....

literally advertising the inferiority of there filtering material. the finer the filter material, the higher the pressure required to push through it, especially as it loads with material.

mhm.... im going to need to see the lab study on that one to believe its not just a blatant lie. so your storing more contaminants in less space? is it like a tardis inside?

*inserts most dramatic eye roll in history* ing how.....

yes, i would like a filter that is a premium price for sub par filtration with an option for me to disconnect it from my truck for 2 weeks while i ship it in for cleaning. That would be great thank you.

Even post weight reduction my diesel is more green then half the gas "beaters with heaters" people daily drive around here. That said, im very pro 1983 jimmy because we all look great idling next to this 1800's steam engine chugging away on dino squeezings. And you thought only diesels could roll coal.....

I fully agree, You are not going to get crud out of a 25 micron hole thats been packed into it at 80 PSI with a can of brake clean and hope. It may LOOK clean when your done, but its not clean... Not to mention i would imagine that any residual brake clean in the filter would do some REALLY nasty things to the inside of your engine.....

Anyone that owns an untrasonic gun cleaner has observed this, you get it as clean as you can / want to by hand (or dont...) and then throw it in the tank and the water still instantly turns to crud. Not to mention every time you dissasemble and reassemble this thing to clean it you are possibly creating a leak, and run some risk of damaging the very thin mesh thats keeping the ball bearings out of your rockers.

This whole idea just seems utterly ridiculous when you consider the cost of the hardware being protected by it.

If you wanted to run something like this as a PRE filter with a standard low micron filter behind it, id be all for that because it likely would increase your service interval a lot, however i would not trust this as the sole source of oil filtration on a $14K engine. Hell, based on some of the claims im not even sure id risk this on a 02 civic.
Everything they state must be true. Remember you can't put it on the internet if it is not true. LOL Dean
post #188 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 01:32 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhauler View Post
OK, at the risk of starting another run of thoughts and questions, the 2232 has a bypass , the 932 and lots of similar larger filter do not. What is the risk of no bypass ?
Info from pretty much everyone I have chatted with including Donaldsons lube guru.
If you service regularly, not the ones that push servicing beyond what is the normal recommendations and not what is recommended by your OA.
OA’s can not determine if sludge is starting to build-up in your engine with old oil, the oil might test good but still can cause a sludge build-up.

The by-pass is really not necessary, if you service regularly.
The guys that push past the recommendations kinda needs the by-pass so when the filter is getting clogged up, the oil will go thru the by-pass.

The anti drain back but with the angle of the filter there might not/should not be a issue.
I’ll find out, I just installed the Donaldson P550832 - 2 quart, full flow, 20 micron @ 50% cost $11.00.
Direct fit using the OEM adapter.
https://shop.donaldson.com/store/en-...uestid=3969173

I’ll still do a full service once a year or 6,000 miles which ever come first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26DA92CA-EACF-4A3B-A599-ADE04E044292.jpg (35.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 13DC0B45-0FA3-473C-984E-9818FA523910.jpg (30.3 KB, 59 views)
Black HD likes this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning

Last edited by D_R_C; 01-01-2020 at 05:45 AM.
post #189 of 201 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 06:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to monkeyman
hate to add this, owning over a 140 vehicles worked on most, was involved with lots of filters etc, im sure im older than most of you, im a macrobiotic, I take 100 vehicles a day off the road by my way of life, the new Diesels intact pollute less than a gad vehicle that is the same, maybe the HUBB is not the best but I bet after 2000 miles it is, take off your filter saw it in half look at the pleats etc, you will have different attitude, my business involves filters down to .5 microns, so I know about filtering. If the particles are to large the fine micron will cause the oil to use the bypass.
D_R_C likes this.

To many vehicles to little time! New LP5 owner first 2017 GMC Denali Duramax
post #190 of 201 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 12:03 AM

Monkeyman, what the heck does your post mean?
Macrobiotic has to do with Maoist ying and yang
How do you take 100 vehicles off the road?
What does your age have to do with anything?
Ever hear of some type of punctuation or sentence structure so we can understand what you are posting?
AlisoBob and JimmyD like this.

2019 Chevrolet 4500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2018 Chevrolet 1500 CC 4X4 High Country 6.2 liter
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed--SOLD
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins--SOLD
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC: 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode