Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Best Oil Filter

283K views 201 replies 109 participants last post by  knotReally 
#1 ·
I am using Rotella, and I was looking for opinions on a good oil filter. I live in the midwest. Daily driver, haul a boat couple times a week.

#53 ·
I prefer Donaldson. We use them heavily at work. Think they make a quality product.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 ·
I am using Rotella, and I was looking for opinions on a good oil filter.
Oil, either the Mobil-1 (M1-303) or Amsoil for best filtration.

#7 ·
IMO the "best" is A/C Delco.

#8 ·
I like Mobil 1, K&N, or WIX. You can get K&N without the hex nut on the bottom for less too as an option.

#39 ·
Good old PF2232 here as well...

#11 ·
AC delco bro

#14 ·
I've used the AC Delco PF2232 and my last oil change about a week ago I put on the Purolator PureOne PL35399. I use Purolator on my motorcycle and my wife's car, so I figured I'd give it a try on the LLY.

#72 · (Edited)
That's what I use on my LML. I picked up 6 of these on Ebay for $4.00 ea. I also like Donaldson, Fleetguard and Baldwin.

#15 ·
I've always used the NAPA Gold filters. Never had any problems with any of them... I might have to give A/C Delco a try since it seems to be so popular

#16 ·
Mobil 1 M1-303

Sent from a hand held key-lime pie

Reactions: mwberg
#18 ·
The Mobil one filters are by far the best available. Baldwin is a pretty good alternative and I do know that the Baldwin beats ac delco for both efficiency and capacity. The mobil 1 has the best efficiency by far but I'm not sure about capacity.

Sent from my old skool Droid

#22 ·
You guys should dice a Mobil One open. They are garbage. I would use them over Fram though. Surface area and pleat design are not efficient at all as well as an inefficient anti-drain back valve and weak end cap design. Wix is by far one of the best filters. AC-Delco and Motorcraft are made by Purolator. Good filters as well. The Donaldson/K&N is okay, but overpriced. Avoid Fram, Mobil One, Royal Purple, Amsoil, as well as all of the other junk. Stp, supertech, Bosch... The list goes on.

#24 ·
Ok... care to elaborate on what an inefficient pleat design is? And what is a weak anti-drainback valve? It either prevents drainback or it doesn't. And again, what is a weak end cap design? As an engineer for one of the worlds largest filter companies, I'd LOVE to hear your theories on filter design :)

Perhaps you could show us a picture of a cut open filter. Then I could give you my analysis ;)

Reactions: The Silver Fox
#23 ·
I've always used wix! We use wix on all our sprint car motors and have never had a problem, we used ac delco for a long time till we started blowing up the inside of the filter.

#25 ·
Been running AMSOIL 15W-40 Diesel and Marine oil with the AMSOIL EA-052 filter now for about 3 1/2 years and have had no problems or complaints. I also have ran AMSOIL oil and filters in all my gassers since the mid 70's with no problems in any of them. Would like to hear why you, Runs2rch, recommend against them.

#26 ·
I too would like to hear why Mobile oil filters are bad

#28 ·
Buddy of mine who is a diesel mechanic, says to run Donaldson or Fleetguard, cause there made to handle the thicker oil of a diesel engine. Maybe someone can elaborate?

#29 ·
@ gr8shot would you be able to post your companies research on your comparison of ac-deco filters. Not to be a doubting Thomas but as they say the proof is in the pudding!! I think it would be beneficial to us all to have actual test results in our hand. Also good to have a filter engineer on the forum. Would you also be willing to elaborate on "good" filter designs ie pleating, end cap construction, filter media?

Thankyou

#35 ·
Ill see if I can dig it up again. Fwiw... anybody can call Baldwin's service engineering department and we will give you the test results of any filter we make. We don't publish the data but we test and regularly re test all our filters in our test lab which starts about 30 feet from where I sit. And we save all that test data. Naturally its somewhere on our network that I don't have access to lol. Also you can send in used Baldwin filters and our lab will do an analysis of them... for free. Just a service we provide to our customers.

My take on filter design is this, what you see with your eyes is only half the story. Sure metal endcaps are better. But that's about the only thing you can tell by looking at a filter. Each company uses a different filter media. So pleat count, size and spacing don't tell whether one filter will be more efficient or have more capacity. Its all in the media itself. Manufacturers will use enough of the media to either meet/exceed the OEM filter for the application or enough to meet their own standard, no more. So a filter may have less pleats and a smaller pleat depth but may be both more efficient and have a higher capacity. Testing is the only way to tell.

At Baldwin we have around 100 different filter medias that we use across our product line. Im sure its the samw for other companies as well. Some filters have more than one layer of media, some have basically two filters in one canister. We make around 26,000 different part numbers here in Kearney.

As far as I know we don't use any paper endcaps. They're all either metal or plastic. And almost all of the metal parts in our filters are made in-house. Its very rare for us to buy any metal parts from a supplier.

Reactions: tbear640
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.