1st oil/filter change and diesel fuel fill - Page 11 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 12:03 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
This is another skid plate that looks very good. Curious if anyone has any experience with this.

https://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/...00hd-3500.aspx
I would be concerned on how narrow this skid plate not protecting as much as it should, compared to the stock one and other aftermarket brands.

The bolts just need to be snug with the plastic skid plate, if you crank the bolts tight the plastic will crack..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skid plate_LI.jpg (32.1 KB, 78 views)

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutdriver View Post
Absolutely, but it was also finding that my OE plastic pan was already cracked around the bolt holes on a nearly new truck. I am sure it will do the job for the moment but it caused me to do some forum searches only to find that the cracking was common. A new GM plastic pan is not very expensive but it also is not going to solve the problem.
Must be an issue with the newer trucks. The plastic one on my 08 still looks great with no cracked holes, like in ur photo.

Im a "I can improve that while I fix it" kind of guy so i might have tried to use some fiberglass to repair it.

Possibly with a large area washer around the whole thing to bond it together and take the compression load.

Just me being me.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #103 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:15 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Mine cracked on it's own, from the factory build install.
Noticed the cracks the 1st time I removed it. They've grown over the years, to all 4 holes.

I took it off to grease the 2nd idler, thought about plastic welding, left it off and purchased one from HF. It's now one of the many items on the list to do.

It's been off for several years now. As I look at the open gap, I don't really see anything that it could protect. I'm thinking it's more of an airflow aid.

Been thinking 'bout following thru on the project, get it installed and see if it has any effect with the high speed cross wind wander I've been seemingly driving in now for months.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:35 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Under $40 on eBay for an oem replacement. Nothing to really think about.....

LBZ
post #105 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:59 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
I would be concerned on how narrow this skid plate not protecting as much as it should, compared to the stock one and other aftermarket brands.

The bolts just need to be snug with the plastic skid plate, if you crank the bolts tight the plastic will crack..
I put the BDS ones on my truck a while ago and I donít recall them being to narrow. I am wondering if they look that way in the picture because they are installed with the coil over lift kit and have a different lower control arm set up. I am going to wash my truck tomorrow and I will take a look and get some better pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B758882E-4E00-44E3-AA53-5221C83D5918.jpg (32.2 KB, 58 views)
nutdriver likes this.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can,Motorops TCM+ tuning, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light,
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags...
post #106 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:56 PM
"THEEPASUCKS"

1st oil/filter change and diesel fuel fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
Thereís a hole in the bottom of the stock skid plate thatís for the lower radiator hose support to push thru.

Or did you find another way to support it?

Yes I did. I used the bracket that came with the electric fan for my car and modified it to hold the hose. It bolts on at the top center bolt for the skid plate.

moregrip likes this.

2008 2500HD LTZ
EFI LIVE DSP5 - Edge CTS2 Insight - Transgo Jr.
6" Superlift - 35" Trail Grapp's - 18"Mazzi Hulks
Amp Research Steps - Billet Grille - PCV Reroute - DE Down Pipe - MBRP SS Exhaust
Cognito Braces - Fabtech HD Tierods - PPE Deep Pan - LML Manifold

Last edited by WOLFN8TR; 06-02-2019 at 04:14 PM.
post #107 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:25 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

That one aftermarket skid plate company mentioned earlier says with our magical skid plates you donít need anything to support that lower hose.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #108 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

double post, disregard!

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)

Last edited by moregrip; 06-30-2019 at 03:14 PM. Reason: double post
post #109 of 110 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

At 11k and just changed the engine air and cabin air filters. Looks like in my area these things ought to be changed every 10k. All was intact, no damage; much dirtier than expected I suppose; both Delco part#'s.....at the end of the day.....no worries and glad I changed when I did. Also re-charged the window washer fluid using Delco concentrate and distilled water.

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
post #110 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 06:29 PM

Sorry y’all. Not tryin to take over the thread. I’m new to all this forum stuff. But I have a 2017 L5p and was wondering what brand and type of oil and oil filter to use. I have rotella in it now and I’m gettin that damn typewriter tick from it. Y’all got any suggestions? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode