1st oil/filter change and diesel fuel fill - Page 8 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #71 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:03 PM

D_R_C I donít blame you for one minute. If you have some personal experience with a certain filter, I would do the exact same as you. Like I have said after the Mobil 1 filters are gone I will probable go to a AC Delco with a one time use of the Baldwin just to see how that goes. I really donít understand how a anti drain valve works in our Duramaxís as if the filter is pointed up like our are, wouldnít the filter always be filled? Seems to me the anti drain valve would only apply if the filter was up side down so when the car/truck is off the filter would drain back to the sump. Iím probably wrong but that is the way I see it. If there is something Iím missing, please let me know. Iím happy this is a discussion and not the usual fight I see most post degrade to. If you have some knowledge to share, Iím all ears!

2019 Silverado 2500HD High Country 4wd, Bak Industries Roller X4 bed cover, Banks iDash Data Monster & iDash Super Gauge, Banks Differential Cover, Block8Head dual custom gauge pod

2014 Chevy SS, Magnuson supercharger, custom tune by Redline Motorsports (dyno'd at 530hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:07 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

My 2 cents worth-- I use only AC Delco 2232 filters and Rotella 15/40 plain ole oil. Have on all four Dmax's and put on average 180K on them. Now have a 2019 3500HD WT and it has same in it. Change it every 4-6K and fuel filter every other oil change. Does it clatter? not as loud as a powersmoke or Cummins. Hell, its a diesel-- not a gasser.

Moregrip, change it any way you want-- its your truck and money. As for changing weight in the winter-- its gets colder than a well diggers ass here in north Texas and summers are around 100+ and my oil still works just fine. Never had any failures and I haul horses a lot around Texas and Oklahoma.
Have fun with your truck.
Bullseye21 likes this.

2019 Chevrolet 4500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed
2018 Chevrolet 1500 CC 4X4 High Country 6.2 liter
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 Flatbed--SOLD
2011 Peterbilt 337 hauler with 360HP 8.3 Cummins--SOLD
1957 GMC 1 ton flatbed with 22K original miles.
3 different Kubotas
2003 Chevrolet 2500HD CC: 2011 Chevrolet 3500HD CC 4X4 and 2013 3500HD ex. cab 4X4-- all sold.
post #73 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:38 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Defective anti drain back check valves on the spin-on allowing the oil to drain down, results dry starts with 0 oil pressure for several seconds.

On the canister the filters they are to short compared to OEM not making contact with the anti drain back keeping it closed to keep the oil from draining backdown same 0 oil psi dry starts for several seconds.

Hopefully the Mobile Ones are of better quality than WIX.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixxman View Post
Moregrip

Mobile One good filter made by Wix (was when I retired 5 years ago) Best filter you can buy at Walmart.
The Mobil 1 filters have ALWAYS been made by Champion Labs.
post #75 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:32 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Not the Duramax filter. Wix had a contract because of the glass media Mobile One wanted to extend their drain cycle. The brown / gray / black glue you see run down on the media is called plastisol also used for the sealing surface in light duty air filters.
Any good filter will work as long as you adhere to the recommended mileage / hours for oil change.
post #76 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:40 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

DRC the anti drain back valve it the orange silicone looking gasket in the filter. The oil in the filter keeps it closed, when the engine starts the oil flow from the oil pump pushes the anti drain back valve up allowing the oil to flow out and through the media into return in the center tube of the filter.
post #77 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Well I was able to lube the all the zerk fittings on the chassis except one (will need a different female fitting for that one)....came across this: Common? I'm at 10k.....any better/stronger options out there?

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
post #78 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye21 View Post
I donít really understand the oil filter debate. Mobil 1 makes a good product, I saw somewhere there was some extra glue on the filter media and who know if that was a huge problem or isolated to a filter or two. I looked up a Amsoil filter and saw a video with almost the same thing. Iím 51 years old and have been using Mobil 1 oil and filters for 3 decades or more and never had a oil or filter related problem. Iím sure Baldwin makes a great filter and if you will give me the product/part number for our trucks I will probably try one. I still have 5 Mobil 1 filters to get through. I bought a bunch for my 2017 truck I got rid of and the parts store let me swap them out for the ones that fit the Duramax, so I will use all of them. I have a 2014 Chevy SS that is modified (supercharger, long tube headers and a bit more stuff) and when I dropped it off to get all of that installed 4 years ago it had a Royal Purple filter on it. Long story short they told me to use a factory oil filter after that one was done. I just had another tune done to the car a few months ago and I ask that shop, which was different from the first one, about the filter and they too recommended using a factory filter. This reply is not to change anybodyís mind about what they do, so please donít drag me into that debate, Iím only sharing my experience and what I do. Moregrip I was happy to read your post and see that there is someone out there that is into maintaining their truck as much as me. Synthetic oil changes before 6K, Mobil 1/factory filter (and maybe a Baldwin), fuel filter and tranny filter change before 10K and keep it washed and waxed. Iím sure it will last as long as I want it to. I would use Mobil 1 oil but Iím only going to run 15w40 oil, Rotella T6 is locally available but I hear Schaeffer 9000 oil is good too. When Iím done with the dealership oil changes and I swap to the T6 if the engine sounds good I will continue to run it. I also hear that the typewriter noise sometimes comes and goes with different types of oil. I guess I will see later this year. BTW thanks for the props on my truck, nicest one I have ever owned.
You might like these pics, this was my 2005 HD Gasser, she was a runner!

Bullseye21 likes this.

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
post #79 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:41 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wixxman View Post
DRC the anti drain back valve it the orange silicone looking gasket in the filter. The oil in the filter keeps it closed, when the engine starts the oil flow from the oil pump pushes the anti drain back valve up allowing the oil to flow out and through the media into return in the center tube of the filter.
Yep, I learned that many years ago, but when its defective and allows oil to drain back down in other words the oil in the filter does not keep it closed.
Put a new AC Delco oil filter the 0 oil pressure and dry starts no longer existed.
Wix/Napa filters are the only ones that I've had issues with since about 1968.

Dan

post #80 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 03:51 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
Well I was able to lube the all the zerk fittings on the chassis except one (will need a different female fitting for that one)....came across this: Common? I'm at 10k.....any better/stronger options out there?

Ya, by removing that will allow very easy access to 3 zerk fittings the one more in the middle on the steering support passengers side is the hardest. The other 2 one on each side on the crossover for steering.
Probably incorrect wording but I'm sure anyone that's service theirs should know what which 2 I'm referring to.

I've replaced that plastic shield once, I remove it everytime I lube.
Just remember to get that nipple pulled back in that hole that supports the lower radiator hose.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode