1st oil/filter change and diesel fuel fill - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

1st oil/filter change and diesel fuel fill

So right off the bat I've been a gasser my whole life and this is my first diesel truck, EVER! 2018 2500HD 4x4. I plan on keeping this one forever; if it ever dies I'll either rebuild or use her as lawn art! With that said, my goal is to do all I can to keep things running as they should. I've been researching and researching and researching for 2 weeks solid; trying to be as informed as I can be. My first fuel fill up was at 380miles +/-, I used Chevron #2 with a bottle of Stanadyne performance formula fuel treatment and will continue to do so as long as I believe it's a quality product and beneficial.

I'm going to do my first oil/filter change this weekend, truck will probably be sitting at around 800-1000miles. Going to use the conventional Rotella T4 15w40 for the first couple oil changes and then decide if I want to stay with it or move to a semi synthetic or full synthetic. It's hot as Haiti in Las Vegas right now so I'm comfortable running the 15w40. We do get some cold nights (relative) in and around 32 degrees so a 5w40 might make more sense during winter.

Last piece to the puzzle is the oil filter. I'm looking at the K&N HP-3003. I like K&N filters not because of the name but because the way they build their filters makes sense to me. I interpret that as a quality choice. I'm no expert but I believe K&N filters flow well by volume and do a fantastic job filtering debris with quite a bit of surface area with an even pleat pattern. I believe the filter media is called cellulose and that is good for both volume and filtering.

If I'm making any glairing mistakes please feel free to set me straight!

2018 Chevy 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison 4wd Z71
2019 BMW 330i
1973 Chevy C10 250 Inline 6 (project truck)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 09:17 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Garage
Welcome!

I personally use Mobile One M1-303 filter, I think KandN is just overpriced and over hyped, and Rotella T-6 synthetic oil which only comes 5w-40. I donít think it matters what you change to as a first change.

Another thing to consider is a quality fuel filter. Fuel is the literal lifeblood of diesels. Any contaminants (water especially) can be catastrophic. I keep Standyne performance mix in the truck and use 8oz every fill up.

I donít know too much about 2018 issues but I think you have a solid truck and will enjoy it for many years to come.
shotgunwillie69 likes this.

EFILive by RidgeRunner. 🤘 Fuel system support hardware, CCM front Diff Drop, some LEDs to make night into day, got some big ol 20's and wide ass tires and a nice display to show me what's up under the hood-

2012GMC2500CCSB
post #3 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
I like K&N filters not because of the name but because the way they build their filters makes sense to me.
They dont build anything. The K&N is built by Champion Labs, who build most of the "private label " filters.

Private Brands - Champion Laboratories Inc. : Champion Laboratories Inc.

The Mobil 1 303 flat out works. No need to look beyond that.
shotgunwillie69 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 10:26 AM

I would stay away from a full syn for the first oil change or two. Reason being is that during break-in a synthetic oil is too 'slippery' and will not allow for proper seating of rings etc. GM diesel mechanic suggested to run 15-40 for the first 10,000 km (6,000 miles) to break in the engine. This made send to me because when I rebuilt a motor for my T/A, I started it and ran it for the first year or two on Mobil 1 5-30. I have Chrome Moly rings and they would NOT seat and I was burning oil at the rate of ~1 quart/ 250 miles - yikes, not good with a new motor...I ran it one season (about 1000 miles) with 10-30 conventional and problem has gone away. I am now back to a 5-30 in the bird with no oil consumption issues. Currently I have ~15000 km (9000miles) on the 2017 L5P and it is on oil change #3 (#1 at 1600km, #2 at 5500km, #3 at 11,000km) and has been running a conventional 15-40. I will be switching over to a 5-40 prior to this winter (last winter was a chilly one here so with 15-40 in it, it spend a great deal of time plugged in...). Filter has only been AC Delco...

2017 SRW 3500 SLT Z71 CC
1978 Trans Am, 400, factory 4 spd, 3:42 posi
oh, and I love fossil fuels...
post #5 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 02:41 PM

Where you are I wouldn't worry about changing to a lighter oil in the winter. Up here I think most stay 15-40 year round.
I don't drive mine in the winter, but if I did up here it would get changed.

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live from LDS, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
post #6 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMLLover View Post
They dont build anything. The K&N is built by Champion Labs, who build most of the "private label " filters.

Private Brands - Champion Laboratories Inc. : Champion Laboratories Inc.

The Mobil 1 303 flat out works. No need to look beyond that.
Thank you! I think I remember years back (bear with me) reading and maybe even watching some oil filter guts videos showing the Mobil1 and K&N filter being the exact same filter with the obvious difference being the K&N having the 1" Hex Head on it and respective paint jobs. Anyway, I usually go with whatever is the cheapest at the time between the two as I consider them the same filter.....although things have probably changed over the years and that may no longer be the case.....long story short......I need to get myself back in the mix!

2019 BMW 330i
post #7 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Blue78 View Post
I would stay away from a full syn for the first oil change or two. Reason being is that during break-in a synthetic oil is too 'slippery' and will not allow for proper seating of rings etc. GM diesel mechanic suggested to run 15-40 for the first 10,000 km (6,000 miles) to break in the engine. This made send to me because when I rebuilt a motor for my T/A, I started it and ran it for the first year or two on Mobil 1 5-30. I have Chrome Moly rings and they would NOT seat and I was burning oil at the rate of ~1 quart/ 250 miles - yikes, not good with a new motor...I ran it one season (about 1000 miles) with 10-30 conventional and problem has gone away. I am now back to a 5-30 in the bird with no oil consumption issues. Currently I have ~15000 km (9000miles) on the 2017 L5P and it is on oil change #3 (#1 at 1600km, #2 at 5500km, #3 at 11,000km) and has been running a conventional 15-40. I will be switching over to a 5-40 prior to this winter (last winter was a chilly one here so with 15-40 in it, it spend a great deal of time plugged in...). Filter has only been AC Delco...
Thanks 1Blue78, I think that's about my plan of attack as far as initial oil change intervals go. Maybe a synthetic blend around 6-8k depending on what my "actual" oil change schedule ends up being!

2019 BMW 330i
post #8 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77cruiser View Post
Where you are I wouldn't worry about changing to a lighter oil in the winter. Up here I think most stay 15-40 year round.
I don't drive mine in the winter, but if I did up here it would get changed.
Thank you! I'll keep that in mind!

2019 BMW 330i
post #9 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

OK first oil/filter change is in the books, thanks for all the advices, 1,002 miles on the odometer, 1x Mobil 1 oil filter(Walmart), 10x quarts Rotella T4 15w40(Sams Club). The factory oil filter was indeed on there tight! lol, I used two types of oil filter wrenches, at the same time, in the hopes of putting more torque to it...Ö.it was not budging by hand or by using only one wrench:

Here's the combo I used:

once I had both wrenches on there at the same time and applied 2 types of force, the AC Delco yielded! I used aluminum foil to keep the oil off all the metal chassis bits and randomly checked bolts for tightness.

Some observations: 1. after 1k miles the factory fill oil looked and smelled very good; am I the only one that smells their motor oil? Also had a green tint to it. 2. My long corrugated oil funnel worked just fine but I may go ahead and invest in an offset one just so I'm not so close to the underside of the hood next time. 3. I wasn't really able to pre-fill my oil filter with oil (which I'm used to doing) so that was something a little different/no oil pressure issues noted. 4. Oil dipstick shows oil exactly at the halfway point with the 10 quart fill.

So that's about it, next scheduled oil/filter change 3k! same/same

2019 BMW 330i
post #10 of 110 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:46 PM

Why 3K, does the manual recommend that?

04 GMC LB7 2500 SAC 45 injectors DSP5 EFI live from LDS, ported air inlet. 4" MBRP droning exhaust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode