LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion - Page 15 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:22 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Well I thank you for sticking with it and getting the report. I am about at the same mileage on my first filter (did a change of oil at regular interval) so this makes me feel great. Will it make a difference in my engine life, don't know, I just like to use what are proven to be an excellent products and your research and follow through prove the Donaldson one.
LMLLover likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:29 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Just to clarify I normally change my oil at 7000 miles not at the displayed service interval. Owning a automotive repair and restoration shop I have my beliefs and lifts a few feet away!
post #143 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:01 AM

No bypass...... What are the thoughts of a no-bypass filter in colder climates. MT, WI, MN ND, where I usually travel. etc?

Thanks again for all the info!!!! Great stuff.

Just fyi, looking back at my last three UOA, Insolubles were 0.1, 0.2, 0.2. Pretty good using either the M1-303 or Baldwin filter every 5-6000 miles. By looking at the info you posted, biggest advantage may be reduced engine wear with the 15 micron filtering. Correct?

Thanks!

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyerod View Post
No bypass...... What are the thoughts of a no-bypass filter in colder climates. MT, WI, MN ND, where I usually travel. etc?

By looking at the info you posted, biggest advantage may be reduced engine wear with the 15 micron filtering. Correct?

Thanks!
Mr. Wizzard turned us onto the fact that the filter mount has it's own bypass assembly. The bypass in the filter is redundant.

The synthetic media in the Donaldson filter flows better than the cellulose media in the Mobil 1 filter. ( I know the Mobil 1 claims to be a mix, but when you look at it appears to be straight cellulose)

The Donaldson also has 3X the media. In cold weather at startup I feel ALL the thick, cold oil is going to be able to pass through the Donaldson where the thick cold oil is going to bypass a consumer grade oil filter until it warms up and thins out a bit.

The oil being filtered 100% of the time , coupled with the 15 micron filtration ( 10 micron @ 90% efficiency) would have to increase engine life, right?
post #145 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Mr. Wizzard turned us onto the fact that the filter mount has it's own bypass assembly. The bypass in the filter is redundant.

The synthetic media in the Donaldson filter flows better than the cellulose media in the Mobil 1 filter. ( I know the Mobil 1 claims to be a mix, but when you look at it appears to be straight cellulose)

The Donaldson also has 3X the media. In cold weather at startup I feel ALL the thick, cold oil is going to be able to pass through the Donaldson where the thick cold oil is going to bypass a consumer grade oil filter until it warms up and thins out a bit.

The oil being filtered 100% of the time , coupled with the 15 micron filtration ( 10 micron @ 90% efficiency) would have to increase engine life, right?
Yes. Seems like a no brainer for all the reasons already discussed. Wonder if anyone has done this with an L5P? (Buying new next year or so) Does L5P have a built in bypass in the filter mount as well, Mr Wizzard?

Thanks again!

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ

Last edited by walleyerod; 12-11-2019 at 08:19 AM.
post #146 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 09:24 AM
"THEEPASUCKS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
Wow, look what finally showed up today!

Thanks to everyone who waited to see these numbers.... SO much easier to install than that Amsoil bypass deal. Nearly all the benefit, with none of the hassle... and its reversible in about 5 minutes on the road if you ever need to go back to stock filtration..... another plus.

Awesome! Thanks again Bob for all the work you put into this.

2008 2500HD LTZ
EFI LIVE - Edge CTS2 Insight - Transgo Jr.
6" Superlift - 35" Trail Grapp's - 18"Mazzi Hulks
Amp Research Steps - Billet Grille - PCV Reroute - DE Down Pipe - MBRP SS Exhaust
Cognito Braces - Fabtech HD Tierods - PPE Deep Pan - LML Manifold
post #147 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 10:17 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
and if you like ORANGE paint on you filter's can go to the CAT?
Yellow.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #148 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 11:16 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
Yellow my hindquarters....CAT stuff is "safety orange".
No offense, but you might be color blind. CAT yellow is a funky color, but not close to safety orange, more mustard colored than anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2RNJ3_AW01.jpg (6.5 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 2ZLU6_AW01.jpg (6.7 KB, 90 views)

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #149 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Yea mustard Yellow for CAT. Certainly not Orange
post #150 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 04:04 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

So now we are going to have an argument over the color of a filter????

I have a Case backhoe. The engine is "Flambeau Red" according to Case. But some parts of it are now "Chevy Orange". I defy anyone to tell me which is which.

As far as whether the L5P has a bypass valve in the filter base, I don't have any info on the L5P so I can't say for sure. However, I would be really surprised if it turned out that it didn't. Lots of engines have this valve built into the filter base and I would bet that the L5P still has one but the way to tell would be to look up the part numbers in one of the online parts sellers. If they are the same then yes it has a bypass filter. If they are different then you need to look at a picture of the part to tell if it has a bypass.

Last edited by mizterwizard; 12-11-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode