LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion - Page 16 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:19 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Baby Turd Yellow....is the official kitty color.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 05:20 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
So now we are going to have an argument over the color of a filter????

I have a Case backhoe. The engine is "Flambeau Red" according to Case. But some parts of it are now "Chevy Orange". I defy anyone to tell me which is which.

As far as whether the L5P has a bypass valve in the filter base, I don't have any info on the L5P so I can't say for sure. However, I would be really surprised if it turned out that it didn't. Lots of engines have this valve built into the filter base and I would bet that the L5P still has one but the way to tell would be to look up the part numbers in one of the online parts sellers. If they are the same then yes it has a bypass filter. If they are different then you need to look at a picture of the part to tell if it has a bypass.

Does this really surprise you though?

I too would be surprised if there was no some way for oil to bypass a clogged filter internally designed into the head.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #153 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 06:58 PM

Officially
Caterpillar Called it "Hi-Way Yellow" in 1931
then changed the hue of it to "Caterpillar Yellow" in 1979

Not an argument

:-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 07:04 PM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
So now we are going to have an argument over the color of a filter????

I have a Case backhoe. The engine is "Flambeau Red" according to Case. But some parts of it are now "Chevy Orange". I defy anyone to tell me which is which.
Welcome to the internet, we argue about everything, because why not.

As for Case flambeau red vs Chevy orange, they are absolutely more similar to each other than safety orange vs CAT yellow, but they are clearly different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (2.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg chevy-orange-rust-oleum-automotive-car-paint-248941-76_1000.jpg (2.1 KB, 80 views)

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #155 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-11-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
Based on what we have seen, may I assume it is safe to say that in terms of actual oil filtering, the difference between the Donaldson & the CAT is that "if you like BLUE paint on your oil fitler's can, go to the Donaldson...and if you like ORANGE paint on you filter's can go to the CAT?
Are you so lazy that you cannot do a little research on your own?

Google answered your question in 2 seconds.

"The 1R1807 is the a member of the CAT "high efficiency filter" line. The absolute micron rating on these filters is 24.
The Donaldson DBL 7483 Blue is a little better. Absolute micron rating 15"
post #156 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 10:39 AM

You did not waste your money. The CAT filter at 24 microns beats the AC. Use the CAT you have,then at the next oilchange you can stay with the CAT or buy the Donaldson
post #157 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 11:41 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWI View Post
Welcome to the internet, we argue about everything, because why not.

As for Case flambeau red vs Chevy orange, they are absolutely more similar to each other than safety orange vs CAT yellow, but they are clearly different.
I still don't think you would be able to tell the difference, "on the tractor". The Case paint (Tisco) was pretty expensive so I got some rattle cans of Chevy engine orange because I thought it would be close enough. When I applied it to the engine parts I couldn't tell the difference but I have poor color vision. I asked several other people and while they all agreed that there is a slight difference they also agreed that if they were not asked directly about it they would never have noticed.

Maybe it all comes down to the particular paint manufacturer's interpretation of the two colors or something like that but on the tractor they are almost identical.

And this has a lot to do with Duramax trucks because.................well maybe not.
post #158 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

So, back to the topic at hand. Based off the oil analysis done on the LML, I'm rolling rolling the dice on the LLY and am going to go the full 2X OCI before I swap out the oil and Donaldson filter.

The LLY currently has 11k miles on the oil, and the reset oil life percentage reads 72% life left.

I'll run it down to 0%, or 16k miles total mileage whichever comes first and send in a sample.... Total engine miles at that point will be 327,000. Total engine hours will be somewhere around 8400

This is a good vehicle to do this on as it uses zero oil, so every drop will have gone the full 16k miles, with no makeup oil.

We'll see how it goes.
Gdady90 likes this.
post #159 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
So, back to the topic at hand. Based off the oil analysis done on the LML, I'm rolling rolling the dice on the LLY and am going to go the full 2X OCI before I swap out the oil and Donaldson filter.

The LLY currently has 11k miles on the oil, and the reset oil life percentage reads 72% life left.

I'll run it down to 0%, or 16k miles total mileage whichever comes first and send in a sample.... Total engine miles at that point will be 327,000. Total engine hours will be somewhere around 8400

This is a good vehicle to do this on as it uses zero oil, so every drop will have gone the full 16k miles, with no makeup oil.

We'll see how it goes.
Thanks for being the guinea pig, I mean volunteering your truck for this. Will be interesting to see the numbers on the UOA. Once I get my new truck I'm going to seriously look into this modification and see if it will work on the new L5p's. Hopefully someone will have already tested it out to see.

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ
post #160 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-12-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
About the "stock" AC/Delco filter that apparently serves so many so well. How does it compare to the CAT & DONALDSON?
A/C Delco Gold (Professional) filter:
The nylon core of the ACDelco Gold (Professional) Oil filters are engineered with filtration to capture particulates as small as 30 microns.

This from their website and appears to be their top-of-the line filter.

The statement "capture particles as small as 30 microns" doesn't really mean anything. I would have to assume the absolute rating would be 40+ microns.
AlisoBob and Gdady90 like this.

2007 Classic LBZ CCSB Magnaflow exh. Airaid air filter assy. Bilstein 5100's. 120k miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode