LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion - Page 17 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

80Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #161 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 01:51 PM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyerod View Post
Thanks for being the guinea pig, I mean volunteering your truck for this. Will be interesting to see the numbers on the UOA. Once I get my new truck I'm going to seriously look into this modification and see if it will work on the new L5p's. Hopefully someone will have already tested it out to see.
Just go back to post #129 - I have a 2018 Duramax L5P . . . very simple upgrade and I believe well worth the small cost. You can buy the Donaldson filters for about $26 on Amazon.
AlisoBob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #162 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapperhead View Post
Just go back to post #129 - I have a 2018 Duramax L5P . . . very simple upgrade and I believe well worth the small cost. You can buy the Donaldson filters for about $26 on Amazon.
I missed that - thank you. Did you buy the adapter on ebay?

2008 GMC Sierra LMM CCSB LTZ
post #163 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:14 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleyerod View Post
I missed that - thank you. Did you buy the adapter on ebay?
Here is a link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Oil-Filter-...72.m2749.l2649
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #164 of 181 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 06:16 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Here is a link to the oil filters . . . great price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Donaldson-D...72.m2749.l2649
AlisoBob likes this.
post #165 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-01-2020, 08:13 AM

Garage
In New Hampshire it gets a little cold I have a cat oil filter on the motor lift pump car fuel filter blah blah... bigger oil filter no drain back valve or bypass blah blah I don’t think I have to worry about cold starts?? But it takes 5 seconds or so for the oil pressure gauge to respond.. I don’t drive the truck it sits all week is that something to be concerned with.... I know it’s not crazy cold here... but anything to worry about?
post #166 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 03:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

This filter is twice the length as OEM and bigger diameter, it would be pretty risky installing this filter full of oil at the angle it sets on the cast housing.
The idea of a 15 micron oil filter is great, but the risk of having a disaster of possibly breaking off and loosing the engine, isnít worth it for me.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B."BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe, DHD PCV Re-Route, AirDog 4G100
Castrol Hypuron/Vecton 15W40 synthetic blend oil
Donaldson P550832 2 qt oil filter

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #167 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-05-2020, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
It would be pretty risky installing this filter full of oil at the angle it sets on the cast housing.
The risk of having a disaster of possibly breaking off and loosing the engine, isnít worth it for me.
This filter holds 2.5 quarts, and is unacceptable to to you.

The P550832 filter your'e in love with holds 2 quarts, and your totally fine with that, hanging off the same filter mounting pad.....

6686L likes this.
post #168 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Thanks for the work. Now I have one question, does anyone want 6 fleetguard oil filters for the low price of shipping? That way I can change to the Donaldson on my next oil change.

2012 3500hd srw 4 wd Jamco exhaust Kennedy dual lift pump Trifca bed cover B& W gooseneck hitch Western Diesel fuel filter relocation bracket
post #169 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 02:00 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post
This filter is twice the length as OEM and bigger diameter, it would be pretty risky installing this filter full of oil at the angle it sets on the cast housing.
The idea of a 15 micron oil filter is great, but the risk of having a disaster of possibly breaking off and loosing the engine, isn’t worth it for me.
First off, let me start by saying that i have read things on this forum posted by you and bob that i have agreed with, and things i have not agreed with, so this post is about numbers and not fanboy status.

ok so lets do some math here because clearly no one else is and it shows.

oil has a density of 0.93 g/cm3 this is slightly less then water which is why oil floats on water. Water has a density of 1.00.

The mass of all things in the universe is a function of there density and the volume they occupy. 1 gallon of water weighs what 1 gallon of water weighs regardless of the shape that 1 gallon occupies so long as both gallons are on earth, and both gallons are liquid. Since engine oil is a liquid at any temperature were facing, and we are all hopefully driving on earth (i wonder about a hand full of members some days) mass and weight will be related.

Torque is defined as a force over a distance. If you have a 3' wrench, and you put 10 pounds on it, you are putting 30 ft lbs on whatever is at the center of the wrenches rotation (usually a nut or bolt). I think we are all familiar with this.

To calulate the actual torque of the filled filter on the housing you would use calculus to solve a fomula for the mass of each slice of oil filled filter times the distance from the housing all added together to give you a total torque. This is hard, so instead we will assume that all of the mass of the oil is at the point farthest away from the filter head. This will give us an incorrect value, however it will be incorrect in a way that favors failure as the actual values will be quite a bit less then the way we are about to calculate the load on the filter head.

First we need to know the weight of the oil, for that we need to know the volume of the oil. We will assume the filter is a perfect cylinder, despite the cap being hemispherical again, to make the math nice.

the formula for volume of a cylinder is pi*r^2*h (pi = 3.14) So the radius of the filter squared, times pi, times the height of the filter gives us the volume of the filter.

Lets say the filter is 2.5" in diameter, this is larger then it actually is, but that accounts for the metal being more dense then the oil, again, were heavily favoring the error in this towards the side of making the torque greater then the actual torque applied as safety factor.

I believe it was sad that the height of this filter was 10.7", lets call it a foot.

2.5*2.5*12*pi = 235.5 cubic inches.

1 cubic inch = 16.4 cubic cm

= 3862.2 cubic cm

Mass = volume * density = 3862.2 cm3 * 0.93 g/cm3 = 3591.7 grams

454 grams per pound = 7.91 pounds (again, this value is significantly inflated)

total distance from the head is 12"

torque = force over distance

Torque on head is at an absolute unrealistic maximum of 8 foot pounds.

can we all stop worrying about cracking the bottom of the engine off with an oil filter now?
20dmax08 and LMLLover like this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML

Last edited by J83; 01-06-2020 at 02:42 PM.
post #170 of 181 (permalink) Old 01-06-2020, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
can we all stop worrying about cracking the bottom of the engine off with an oil filter now?

I was told there would be no math.......

Black HD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in