LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:58 AM

Alisobob, that makes sense to me. I’m in Ct so ill be going no bypass next filter change too. But at least I feel like I made an informed decision on the Baldwin I installed, but next will be this ginormous Donaldson. Thx for all the research

2003 Silverado 2500hd 6.6 w/Allison, 4 mbrp turbo back exhaust, autometer boost and EGT gauges, Toyo open country m/t. Bed rug, Bakflip folding bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:30 PM

Well now I am gonna want to use one of these lol

How much lower is it hanging? Won't interfere with anything?

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bilstien 5100, ICON Uppers, 4" DP Back No Muff, SDP Cold Side Charge Pipe, S&B CAI w/ Donaldson Powercore Filter, EGR Blocker Plates, H&S Stock HP Tunning, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, Insight CTS, Airlift Bags, B&W Companion.
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:44 PM

Lol Donaldson is going to wonder why there is a sudden run on this specific filter!
mizterwizard likes this.

2003 Silverado 2500hd 6.6 w/Allison, 4 mbrp turbo back exhaust, autometer boost and EGT gauges, Toyo open country m/t. Bed rug, Bakflip folding bed cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:51 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The picture looks like the Donaldson hangs no lower than other parts of the engine and suspension. I've seen situations where a rock or stick flipped up and damaged things well above the lowest point on the undercarriage so if something like that happens then this filter would be at more of a risk than a stock length filter. Unless you are into rock crawling or something like that I don't think it would be a problem though. For instance I don't think snow or a rutted road would be a problem.

I am aware of the phenomenon know as pressure drop across a filter. I have a backhoe that has a gauge on the hydraulic oil filter to tell just this. There are also lots of air filters that have a little indicator that shows the same thing. I was unaware that it could be 15psi though. So I looked it up.

There is an oil pressure relief valve, called the safety relief valve, built into the oil pump. This is a last chance device which is intended to open only when the oil pressure becomes extreme. This is a common practice across the industry though not quite 100%. But......

From AllData's edition of the shop manual:

"Located in the front cover at the sub oil gallery is an oil pressure relief valve which regulates oil pressure within operating range." This is the main oil pressure regulator. It is pretty much at the end of the oil flow path. This is how the oil flows:

From the pump at the front of the engine the oil goes through a gallery on the left side of the block where it goes directly to the rear of the engine with no diversions. It then passes through the filter and cooler, meaning it again has to go to the front of the truck and back to the filter housing.

Then it enters a gallery that runs fore and aft on the left side of the engine and gets distributed to piston cooling on the left bank, bearing lubrication for both the crank and cam, and passes across to the right bank sub oil gallery via a passage from the #1 cam/crank oil supply. That is where the piston cooling for the right bank is and where the oil pressure relief valve is. If the oil pressure relief valve were to fail there would still be some pressure to the other oil users because the connecting passage isn't all that large. There would be no oil cooling to the right bank of pistons though.

Oil from the #3 cam bearing also goes up to the heads where it enters the rocker shafts and lubes the rockers.

Turbo oil comes from the #4 cam bearing oil supply and returns to the rear of the engine block.

It looks like the oiling system is the same across all models from the LLY on. The LB7 however had an additional oiling provision. Oil flowed from the rocker shafts, through a small passage in the rockers to a hole in the top of the push rods, down the push rods and onto the lifters. This oil helped lubricate the lifters which were solid, non-roller style. With the introduction of roller lifters on the LLY it wasn't necessary to have the hollow push rods so eventually they were eliminated but later engines can use either the open or blocked push rods interchangeably.

Now the question is, why does AlisoBob's truck have 15 psi more oil pressure? I see two possibilities. The first is that by coincidence the gauge or sender happened to change at the same time as his filter swap. That isn't entirely out of the question because the filter is very close to the sender for the oil pressure but I think it is only a possibility, not a probability.

The other is that in some way a reduction in pressure drop across the filter is leading to an increase in system pressure. I think this is much more likely. So then the question is, how is this accomplished?

The location of the oil pressure sensor is not given in the description of oil flow. Since it is located on the left side where oil is going in both directions it is hard to say for sure but I think it is in the gallery coming from the filter, not the one going to the filter. In that case if the filter has less pressure drop it could affect the pressure reading at the sensor. However, this isn't the whole story.

Normally the safety relief valve in the pump is set to a significantly higher pressure than the pressure relief valve that is in the right oil sub gallery. Unless something is broken, the pressure relief valve does all of the pressure control. It should be at the same pressure as all of the other oil in the system unless there is a restriction somewhere.

If the oil pump flows more oil than the pressure relief valve can dump, perhaps because the passages to the pressure relief valve are restrictive, then I can see that the pressure would increase on the sensor side of the oiling system. In the same passage that contains the pressure relief valve there are also piston cooler jets so there would be some oil flow. If the passage was restrictive and the jets flowed nearly all of the oil coming through then the regulator would have less authority on the rest of the system. The increased oil flow available elsewhere would then make for more pressure at the gauge. I think this is the explanation.

Either that or AlisoBob is actually the low life scum bag that the BITOG people would have us believe and is still trying to scam us. I know which explanation I like.

Last edited by mizterwizard; 04-09-2019 at 03:57 PM.
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post

How much lower is it hanging? Won't interfere with anything?
If the filter was mounted vertical , the added length would hang much lower... but the filter is canted at a angle, so most of the additional length is going towards the rear of the truck, and not downwards.

It's kinda close to the driveshaft.... but thats about it.
eli_harper13 likes this.
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:21 PM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
It's kinda close to the driveshaft.... but thats about it.
This is what I was about to ask, looks kind of close to the front driveshaft.
Got a ballpark on the gap between the filter and shaft?

06 LBZ CCSB
MBRP 3" down pipe/4" straight pipe, PPE Xcelerator, FASS 150, Beans sump, deleted, pump rub fix
Zone 6" lift, Kryptonite tie rods
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 07:51 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Hmmm, same parts for the lbz? Or did I miss another thread on that? I’m interested in testing this out my next oil change as well.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post
The adapter is broached to accept a 1/2" drive ratchet. I put the adapter in the freezer overnight before installing.

Then thread it in until it bottoms out, and then I gave it a final "Umph".

I'm guessing about 20 ft/lbs.
Thanks Bob. Will look at it when I do the next oil change to prep for the new filter.

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:31 AM

Nice Work. I just ordered the Donaldson Filter and the adapter. I have been using the Microglass Mobil Filter M1-303A which is an outstanding Filter. (I worked with Heavy Equipment and used Pre-Lube Systems to get Oil Pressure before Engine Starting.) To my knowledge all new regular Automotive Oil Filter Designs have a Backflow Preventer built into the Filter to hold Oil up in the Engine while turned off. Now my Question: Does this Donaldson Filter incorporate a Backflow Preventer? If not, do you have an Oil Pressure Delay on startup?
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2011 View Post
Now my Question: Does this Donaldson Filter incorporate a Backflow Preventer? If not, do you have an Oil Pressure Delay on startup?
There is no anti-drinback valve in the filter, but due to how the filter mount attaches to the engine block, it doesn't need one. The oil would have to flow uphill, to leave the filter.

After sitting 24 hours, the oil pressure pops up instantly at startup. Their is no delay.

I've already got 1,000 miles into this filter. Zero issues.
eli_harper13 and mizterwizard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode