Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion

114K views 429 replies 84 participants last post by  Mickey D 
#1 · (Edited)
It's been fun.................

#2 ·
Thank you sir for all of the time and effort you've put into this project.

#3 ·
Thanks for your work on this subject. Just curious is there a special adaptor needed to use these filters on our trucks? Sorry for the question I just am nit that well informed.

My truck is 2014

#4 ·
Can you add the part # for the nipple as well.

#6 ·
There is a oil filter condition known as "Pressure Drop" where the restriction of the filter will lower the pressure on the outlet side, when compared to the pressure on the inlet side.

I just finished dinner, and pulled my truck out of the garage. I have over 100k miles on the LML, and know the truck very well. I have never seen the oil pressure this high before!

The coolant temp is about 160 degrees, and at 2k rpm, it's somewhere in the 75psi range. Normally, it would be 60 psi, right on the dot.

The ultra low restriction of the Donaldson synthetic media PLUS all the added surface area has made a big difference in the filter pressure drop, when compared to the M1-303A.

Another win, for Donaldson.

#304 ·
There is a oil filter condition known as "Pressure Drop" where the restriction of the filter will lower the pressure on the outlet side, when compared to the pressure on the inlet side.

I just finished dinner, and pulled my truck out of the garage. I have over 100k miles on the LML, and know the truck very well. I have never seen the oil pressure this high before!

The coolant temp is about 160 degrees, and at 2k rpm, it's somewhere in the 75psi range. Normally, it would be 60 psi, right on the dot.

The ultra low restriction of the Donaldson synthetic media PLUS all the added surface area has made a big difference in the filter pressure drop, when compared to the M1-303A.

Another win, for Donaldson.
Actually pressure and restriction work opposite to this. To build pressure you need restriction, higher pressure means higher restriction. Think about it, when you oil is cold you get more pressure and it drops as the oil thins and the back pressure reduces. So higher static pressure can only mean higher back pressure, it also means it takes more HP from the engine to drive the oil pump, causing reduced performance and lower fuel economy.

#7 ·
I have one more oil change using Amsoil and Donaldson filters that I purchased a couple of months back. I did just order the adapter and will make the swap over to the larger filter next time.

The description says it installs with a 1/2" socket. Is this correct and how much torque did you put on it when installing it?

#8 · (Edited)
The description says it installs with a 1/2" socket. Is this correct and how much torque did you put on it when installing it?
The adapter is broached to accept a 1/2" drive ratchet. I put the adapter in the freezer overnight before installing.

Then thread it in until it bottoms out, and then I gave it a final "Umph".

I'm guessing about 20 ft/lbs.

#9 ·
Thanks for time and effort. Great write up. Like larger filter area. My only concern is the 15lbs. Higher
pressure. Could this be because oil isn't up to temp?

#10 ·
Nice work Bob. I take it this will also work on the LMM with the same adapter?

Reactions: AlisoBob
#18 ·
I take it this will also work on the LMM with the same adapter?
Yes. The stock D-Max either has a nipple with a 15/16" hex built into it....

or.... a straight nipple you need to pull out with a EZ out, or something similar.

Either way, the instant it "breaks free"... it unscrews with zero effort.

I take the new nipple and put it in the freezer to get it nice and cold, and then screw it right in with a 1/2" drive ratchet.....

Easy-Peasy

#14 ·
I find the bump in oil pressure intriguing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
So In the end best filter choice has NO Bypass ; lol after all the talk about bigger bypass valves, so glad you kept looking and kept open mind! We should all be that way; look at the info you have make the best choice can but always keep mind open to new info and never be afraid to change mind if new facts come to light. Thx

#20 ·
...the best choice can but always keep mind open to new info and never be afraid to change mind if new facts come to light. Thx
Well, Mr. Wizzy laid some knowledge on us, that the filter mount has its own bypass inside, to flow oil around the filter if it gets clogged or if the oil is too thick to flow through the element.

If I lived in North Dakota, I'd probably still run the Baldwin with its nice bypass feature, just to make sure everything gets oiled properly until the oil warms up.

Winter in Orange County is pretty mild. 50 degrees is all it gets, so going with a full flow ( no bypass) filter is possible.

#21 ·
Alisobob, that makes sense to me. I’m in Ct so ill be going no bypass next filter change too. But at least I feel like I made an informed decision on the Baldwin I installed, but next will be this ginormous Donaldson. Thx for all the research

#25 ·
How much lower is it hanging? Won't interfere with anything?
If the filter was mounted vertical , the added length would hang much lower... but the filter is canted at a angle, so most of the additional length is going towards the rear of the truck, and not downwards.

It's kinda close to the driveshaft.... but thats about it.

#23 ·
Lol Donaldson is going to wonder why there is a sudden run on this specific filter!

Reactions: mizterwizard
#24 · (Edited)
The picture looks like the Donaldson hangs no lower than other parts of the engine and suspension. I've seen situations where a rock or stick flipped up and damaged things well above the lowest point on the undercarriage so if something like that happens then this filter would be at more of a risk than a stock length filter. Unless you are into rock crawling or something like that I don't think it would be a problem though. For instance I don't think snow or a rutted road would be a problem.

I am aware of the phenomenon know as pressure drop across a filter. I have a backhoe that has a gauge on the hydraulic oil filter to tell just this. There are also lots of air filters that have a little indicator that shows the same thing. I was unaware that it could be 15psi though. So I looked it up.

There is an oil pressure relief valve, called the safety relief valve, built into the oil pump. This is a last chance device which is intended to open only when the oil pressure becomes extreme. This is a common practice across the industry though not quite 100%. But......

From AllData's edition of the shop manual:

"Located in the front cover at the sub oil gallery is an oil pressure relief valve which regulates oil pressure within operating range." This is the main oil pressure regulator. It is pretty much at the end of the oil flow path. This is how the oil flows:

From the pump at the front of the engine the oil goes through a gallery on the left side of the block where it goes directly to the rear of the engine with no diversions. It then passes through the filter and cooler, meaning it again has to go to the front of the truck and back to the filter housing.

Then it enters a gallery that runs fore and aft on the left side of the engine and gets distributed to piston cooling on the left bank, bearing lubrication for both the crank and cam, and passes across to the right bank sub oil gallery via a passage from the #1 cam/crank oil supply. That is where the piston cooling for the right bank is and where the oil pressure relief valve is. If the oil pressure relief valve were to fail there would still be some pressure to the other oil users because the connecting passage isn't all that large. There would be no oil cooling to the right bank of pistons though.

Oil from the #3 cam bearing also goes up to the heads where it enters the rocker shafts and lubes the rockers.

Turbo oil comes from the #4 cam bearing oil supply and returns to the rear of the engine block.

It looks like the oiling system is the same across all models from the LLY on. The LB7 however had an additional oiling provision. Oil flowed from the rocker shafts, through a small passage in the rockers to a hole in the top of the push rods, down the push rods and onto the lifters. This oil helped lubricate the lifters which were solid, non-roller style. With the introduction of roller lifters on the LLY it wasn't necessary to have the hollow push rods so eventually they were eliminated but later engines can use either the open or blocked push rods interchangeably.

Now the question is, why does AlisoBob's truck have 15 psi more oil pressure? I see two possibilities. The first is that by coincidence the gauge or sender happened to change at the same time as his filter swap. That isn't entirely out of the question because the filter is very close to the sender for the oil pressure but I think it is only a possibility, not a probability.

The other is that in some way a reduction in pressure drop across the filter is leading to an increase in system pressure. I think this is much more likely. So then the question is, how is this accomplished?

The location of the oil pressure sensor is not given in the description of oil flow. Since it is located on the left side where oil is going in both directions it is hard to say for sure but I think it is in the gallery coming from the filter, not the one going to the filter. In that case if the filter has less pressure drop it could affect the pressure reading at the sensor. However, this isn't the whole story.

Normally the safety relief valve in the pump is set to a significantly higher pressure than the pressure relief valve that is in the right oil sub gallery. Unless something is broken, the pressure relief valve does all of the pressure control. It should be at the same pressure as all of the other oil in the system unless there is a restriction somewhere.

If the oil pump flows more oil than the pressure relief valve can dump, perhaps because the passages to the pressure relief valve are restrictive, then I can see that the pressure would increase on the sensor side of the oiling system. In the same passage that contains the pressure relief valve there are also piston cooler jets so there would be some oil flow. If the passage was restrictive and the jets flowed nearly all of the oil coming through then the regulator would have less authority on the rest of the system. The increased oil flow available elsewhere would then make for more pressure at the gauge. I think this is the explanation.

Either that or AlisoBob is actually the low life scum bag that the BITOG people would have us believe and is still trying to scam us. I know which explanation I like.

#29 ·
Nice Work. I just ordered the Donaldson Filter and the adapter. I have been using the Microglass Mobil Filter M1-303A which is an outstanding Filter. (I worked with Heavy Equipment and used Pre-Lube Systems to get Oil Pressure before Engine Starting.) To my knowledge all new regular Automotive Oil Filter Designs have a Backflow Preventer built into the Filter to hold Oil up in the Engine while turned off. Now my Question: Does this Donaldson Filter incorporate a Backflow Preventer? If not, do you have an Oil Pressure Delay on startup?

#30 ·
Now my Question: Does this Donaldson Filter incorporate a Backflow Preventer? If not, do you have an Oil Pressure Delay on startup?
There is no anti-drinback valve in the filter, but due to how the filter mount attaches to the engine block, it doesn't need one. The oil would have to flow uphill, to leave the filter.

After sitting 24 hours, the oil pressure pops up instantly at startup. Their is no delay.

I've already got 1,000 miles into this filter. Zero issues.

#31 ·
The work you have done for this so far is awesome. Thank you.

I have the amsoil bypass system on my 2008 and it works awesome I change my filter and oil ever 8k miles ish which is over kill considering people are changing their oil once a year or 14-15k miles but I like clean clean oil. The system works great and the filters are really decent priced. Amsoil oil is great stuff it’s some what pricey but I change my oil about twice a year so it’s not exactly breaking the bank lol. Even tho the Donaldson filter you’ve described does the same at a lot less cost I will say I kind of disagree. My bypass system works in conjunction with my oem filter So I have three lines of defense. Low micron and full flow on the bypass system and then a full flow oem filter.

There’s a lot to say about Donaldson though I worked for several years on a portable rock crusher and all we used was Donaldson filters and chevron products (regular delo) in everything even gear box breathers had a Donaldson filter. We tested our oils too That’s how that company has rolled for generations And idk if any of you have been in a crusher but with all the debri and rock dust in the air it takes truly superior filtration and oil.

All in all I love the Donaldson products and this idea I may have done it before investing in amsoil I think that a guy or girl would be making a great choice going with either this Donaldson filter or amsoils system. When I switched to synthetics and amsoil I did it all besides brake and steering fluid. So with the kit and all the fluids and filters ( front and rear end, transmission fluids and filters, engine oil and filters, t case, etc) I think it cost me 800 bucks which the bypass kit was half of that price. and that’s with a couple extra filters and fluid for additional services.

Amsoil and Donaldson are awesome. But for people who don’t care about that stuff good old delo and a Napa gold filter did me right for ever.

#33 ·
Ya lol but the amsoil eabp 100 filter (bypass system ) is absolute 98.7% efficient at 2 micron. Then you have 2 full flow filters on top of that with the bypass system. Hell you could use the amsoil system and this Donaldson in the oem location and have SUPER clean oil lol shit it would probably filter the oil out.

like Donaldson a lot they’re proven but I don’t think this oil filter is on the same level as amsoils bypass kit. There’s just more filtration flat out with amsoils kit.

Another reason.... to run this Donaldson.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/30697/choose-oil-filter

MachineryLubrication,com is no joke...... They have very good articles.

#34 ·
Where are you guys finding the best prices on the Donaldson filters?

#38 ·
#39 ·
Shame on me. I didn't catch that.

Given unlimited funds, time and space you could do some pretty amazing things. You could actually re-refine the oil back to new specs. For around $20 you can come really close to the same result.

The point here isn't what is the absolutely most perfect oil cleaning solution. It is about getting the most for your money by applying a little knowledge. In that arena it looks to me like there are about 3 good solutions with the Donaldson being one of them. It won't be the perfect answer for everyone.

Since the Donaldson doesn't have a drain back valve and a bypass valve there are some who would rather look elsewhere. I am willing to trust the truck's own bypass valve and I don't think the drain back valve is that important in this application so for me the Donaldson makes a lot of sense. The equation might have a different answer for someone else.

Perhaps someone has access to free Fram filters and intends to trade in their truck soon then Fram might be the go to deal. There is a different answer for everyone but for me I'm glad the AlsoBob has taken the time to enlighten me about the Donaldson and Baldwin filters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.