LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

LML / Donaldson DBL7483 Oil Filter Conversion

Well, I did it... I've convinced myself that the Donaldson DBL7483 is the way to go for Duramax oil filtration. It wasn't easy, but after viewing nearly ever oil filter made for the Dmax and all the lies and inconsistencies in these "consumer grade" products... I made the jump to professional grade products and ended up with the Donaldson (over the CAT filter)... and here it is.

It comes wrapped in a heavy plastic wrap, much thicker than the consumer grade wraps. Cutting this thing open was extremely difficult, even with my filter cutter! Once inside its very basic, just the element and the assembly parts. In ALL the Donalsdon literature they show the media as being "Blue", it was kind of a bummer to see it "White".

BUT... look at it closely.

It appears to be the same "terrycloth" looking filter media I found in the Amsoil EAO 52 oil filter, but at a slightly lower micron rating. Donaldson and Amsoil have a well known relationship, and it looks like this filter media is found in both products!

As for the element itself, it's constructed PERFECTLY. Not a single pleat is out of place, no glue , no rust, no mess.... It borrows those 'Locating Tabs" as seen in the Fram filters to locate the element perfectly in the can, and has a louvered center core to protect the element media from tears or abrasion. There is no way to improve it !

The media is synthetic which offers the highest possible flow rate while being able to catch the smallest of particles.
The micron rating is 10 Microns at 90% and 15 Microns at 99.9%.Outstanding!

The huge media area combined with the high flow means the bypass valve is not needed. 100% of the oil sent to the filter gets filtered...100% of the time. This played a big factor in my decision.

Installation is slightly different from my LLY. The LML filter mount nipple has a hex portion made into it. Simply unscrew the original nipple with a 15/16" socket, and screw in the new one. The swap takes 30 seconds...

I'm going to run this deal through TWO DIC countdowns ( aprox 15,000 miles) and send the oil in to Blackstone for a check up. I know the oil should be good, and with the huge area of the filter, I'm pretty sure it can make it too. After swapping filters, I needed to add 2.5 quarts of oil to bring it back to FULL. Adding volume to system is always a good thing.

So there ya' go..... Make your own decisions based off all of this. For anyone thinking about doing one of those Amsoil dual filter mounts ( 1 full flow, 1 bypass) ..this Donaldson deal offers nearly all the benefits for a fraction of the cost. For anyone who wants to keep a OEM style filter like the Baldwin... that's great too, especially if your still under warranty.

The mounting nipple is $16 on Ebay, and the filter is available everywhere for about $18. ( I put the OEM nipple in my glovebox, in case I'm in the middle of nowhere and need to swap it back)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Thank you sir for all of the time and effort you've put into this project.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
post #3 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:33 PM

Thanks for your work on this subject. Just curious is there a special adaptor needed to use these filters on our trucks? Sorry for the question I just am nit that well informed.

My truck is 2014

The Republic of California
2014 Chevy 2500HD bone Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:34 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Can you add the part # for the nipple as well.

2005 Toyota Tacoma DC 4x4 4.0L TRD Off-Road
2008 Yamaha Zuma YW 50

2015 GMC 2500 Denali HD 4x4 Duramax/Allison Black on Black
2016 Grand Design Momentum M-Class 350M Toy Hauler
post #5 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black HD View Post
Can you add the part # for the nipple as well.
It's a ebay deal. $16. American made by a military vet.

Fits all years.
dlsolo and Black HD like this.
post #6 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

There is a oil filter condition known as "Pressure Drop" where the restriction of the filter will lower the pressure on the outlet side, when compared to the pressure on the inlet side.

I just finished dinner, and pulled my truck out of the garage. I have over 100k miles on the LML, and know the truck very well. I have never seen the oil pressure this high before!

The coolant temp is about 160 degrees, and at 2k rpm, it's somewhere in the 75psi range. Normally, it would be 60 psi, right on the dot.

The ultra low restriction of the Donaldson synthetic media PLUS all the added surface area has made a big difference in the filter pressure drop, when compared to the M1-303A.

Another win, for Donaldson.
mizterwizard likes this.
post #7 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:17 AM

I have one more oil change using Amsoil and Donaldson filters that I purchased a couple of months back. I did just order the adapter and will make the swap over to the larger filter next time.

The description says it installs with a 1/2" socket. Is this correct and how much torque did you put on it when installing it?

2004.5 Silver Birch Metallic GMC K2500HD
18 Denali CCSB 2500 4WD Mineral Metallic with Cocoa/Dark Sand Interior
post #8 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawles2 View Post

The description says it installs with a 1/2" socket. Is this correct and how much torque did you put on it when installing it?
The adapter is broached to accept a 1/2" drive ratchet. I put the adapter in the freezer overnight before installing.

Then thread it in until it bottoms out, and then I gave it a final "Umph".

I'm guessing about 20 ft/lbs.

Last edited by AlisoBob; 04-09-2019 at 03:27 AM.
post #9 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 04:59 AM
Duramax Forum Supporter

Thanks for time and effort. Great write up. Like larger filter area. My only concern is the 15lbs. Higher
pressure. Could this be because oil isn't up to temp?

2012 3500hd srw 4 wd EFILive cp3 conversion dsp5 Jamco exhaust Blue Ridge Diesel lift pump Trifca bed cover
post #10 of 99 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:56 AM
"THEEPASUCKS"

Nice work Bob. I take it this will also work on the LMM with the same adapter?
AlisoBob likes this.

2008 2500HD LTZ
EFI LIVE DSP5 - Edge CTS2 Insight - Transgo Jr.
6" Superlift - 35" Trail Grapp's - 18"Mazzi Hulks
Amp Research Steps - Billet Grille - PCV Reroute - DE Down Pipe - MBRP SS Exhaust
Cognito Braces - Fabtech HD Tierods - PPE Deep Pan - LML Manifold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode