Turbo problems? On lly - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Turbo problems? On lly

I have a 2005 lly with 198k on it I recently as of 3 days ago just finished headgaskets and studs on it. The first start up my truck sounded awesome turbo was spoiling and the truck just had a sweet duramax sound after I took it home I noticed a fuel leak at the car wash so I was in comfortable driving it 15 minutes to my place so I got it towed back to my grandpas the next day I picked it up at my grandpas and when I started it to get it on the trailer it sounded totally different the truck just seemed like it had no spool up and it sounded like a gas engine when I found my fuel leak it was spraying on my turbo mouth piece and some got sucked into turbo does anyone think that could be my problem with my turbo not working properly? Sorry for the book but I’m just worrying about what’s going on with it I fixed the fuel leak but it’s still not spoiling like it was when I first started it up after I got it done
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 03:19 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Are you saying you have been driving around with an open intake and a fuel leak was able to spray fuel directly into it?

It is unlikely that your turbo was damaged by a fuel spray unless it was really a big stream. You might try taking the up pipe from the intercooler off and letting it blow out any accumulated fuel inside. You really don't want fuel entering the engine that way.

I don't know what you mean that it sounds like a gas engine because most gas engines are pretty quiet. If you mean it is knocking really loudly then that indicates it is aspirating fuel rather than having it all injected at the proper time. That is to be expected if you had raw fuel entering the intake. It should diminish as the extra fuel is used up but it would be better to get rid of the excess fuel by removing the Y bridge and sopping up as much fuel as you can get to in the intake manifolds.

If there is a significant amount of fuel in the intake system it could lead to a runaway situation where you couldn't shut the engine down until the fuel was all gone. That could cost you an engine.

Why would you run with an open intake?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

I never ran with an open intake it just looks like it got in there cause it was spraying right in the bottom side of my turbo mouth piece of it got in there there wasn’t a lot because it was clamped off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode