how to release fuel line connector on LBZ - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

how to release fuel line connector on LBZ

Im planing to install a lift pump on my LBZ. First thing will be disconecting that fuel line between tank and up front. I know its some kind of squeeze and release mechanism and I've seen some u tubes on the process. Can anyone tell me the correct size lisle tool that I will need to use? ie what size tool should I buy or maybe a collection? I see a few examplse on amazon. Not sure how much the connectors have changed over the years. I've got an 06 LBZ. it would be nice if there were one standard tool for this but I suspect that's not true, maybe even vary in same year.

Don - WA5NGP

06 LBZ white, X Cab, Long Bed, 2WD, raised driver seat, Work Truck nuthin fancy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Best to just get the set and it will have the sizes needed. Supply line is 1/2"

2001 2500HD 4WD EXTENDED CAB LS,
S&B CAI, 4" STAINLESS STEEL EXHAUST, EFI LIVE FROM ATP TRUCKS, EDGE CTS, PPE BOOST VALVE, BANKS INTERCOOLER PIPE, AIR DOG II 165, REBUILT TRANNY WITH SUNCOAST KIT, TRANSGO SHIFTKIT AND BILLIT TORQUE CONVERTER, NEW UPGRADED TAILSHAFT, PUMP RUB FIX ON TRANSFER WITH NEW ALUMINUM TAIL SHAFT, NEW TOW MIRRORS, NEW GAGE HEAVY DUTY FRONT AND REAR BUMPERS, BEANS SUMP, FUMOTO VALVE, RARE PARTS TIE RODS WITH COGNITO PISK, MAD JACK FUEL FILTER ACCESS DOOR, STAINLESS STEEL SPEED BLEEDERS.
2011 GMC 3500HD DUALLY Welding Bed, 4WD CREW CAB, 4" downpipe back exhaust, def delete, egr delete, with new LB7 up pipe, pcv reroute, Fass 150, EFI live with DSP 5, HSP CAI. Air Lift Air bags. PPEI transmission tune.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Most common is the Lisle 37000 multi set.
mray likes this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:18 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa5ngp View Post
First thing will be disconnecting that fuel line between tank and up front. I know its some kind of squeeze and release mechanism.....
There's some pics here of that Evil flex line you'll be removing.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...-pump-kit.html

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:19 AM

I have several sets and when I installed my lift pump I found some of them to be worthless because the collars were too short and wouldn't reach inside the connector far enough. Most of the time I'm using them when I'm doing air conditioning work and they're all fine but the fuel connectors are a bit deeper so when you're looking at them get the ones with the longer round collars.

07 GMC Sierra Classic (LBZ) Duramax Dually Crewcab 4X4, FASS Titanium 95, Ohio Diesel Parts Tank Sump, bypass engine oil filter, synthetic lubes; 84 Chevy 6.2L 1.25 Ton (Army CUCV) with Banks Sidewinder Turbo and Gear Vendor's Overdrive; 83 Chevy Suburban 6.2L 4X4; Retired Journeyman Heavy Duty Truck Mechanic
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:45 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

The 37000 are deep enough.

The problem with the task at hand is, lack of leverage (or hand strength) to apply enough pressure to the release tool against 4 metal tabs deep in the collar, on top of the tank where 100+k miles of rain, mud, and grime have collected.

If the truck is up high enough, it's possible to position yourself between the frame and driveshaft, bending at the waist and reaching over the top to the fittings.

I have the images in my head of the perfectly designed tool (pliers like) to create that would give the leverage needed to ease the release without removing the bed or dropping the tank....or suffering through the humiliation that your not the Strong guy you thought you were.

They would sell like Mad....retirement fund?

Clear access to the top of the tank, MUCH easier to apply pressure. Lower the fuel tank, pull the bed, or just tilt up the Driver's side of the bed. But it is possible from the bottom side. And with your lift, maybe even easier.

Exciting!

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 09:29 AM

I have a set of the Lisle 37000's and if I remember right those are the ones I ended up using, though I've slept since then so can't swear to it. I clearly remember the first try and having the tool bottom out and the connector not releasing though.

Mine came apart a lot easier than I had anticipated after reading about some other peoples experiences and I think the tool made all the difference.

07 GMC Sierra Classic (LBZ) Duramax Dually Crewcab 4X4, FASS Titanium 95, Ohio Diesel Parts Tank Sump, bypass engine oil filter, synthetic lubes; 84 Chevy 6.2L 1.25 Ton (Army CUCV) with Banks Sidewinder Turbo and Gear Vendor's Overdrive; 83 Chevy Suburban 6.2L 4X4; Retired Journeyman Heavy Duty Truck Mechanic
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

First I"ll try the difficult way w/o removing the bed etc. If that doesn't work then I'll try loosening the bed and propping up the driver side so I can get good access. I'm getting too old for this so I may try to find a local mechanic who would do it. So far the local diesel guys wanted to install the FASS or other hot rod things and I just don't need that extra stuff. I think the connection at the cooler is simpler so at least I can get a good idea about the mechanism never having fiddled with these things before.

Fortunately with the kenedy pump it could all be plumbed in and I could do the electrical part of it on my own.

Are those lisle tools on Amazon ok? I have never worked with them so I'm not clear on what aspect of the size makes a difference. I can imagine that some kind of special plier might make the job easier.

Don - WA5NGP

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 01:14 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Quote:
Fortunately with the Kennedy pump it could all be plumbed in and I could do the electrical part of it on my own.
True.
But the bed up prop is substantially easier than from the bottom.
And the labor time install of the JK kit is less than the big ones.

NEWS ALERT!!
Look what I found!
They stole my idea!

Less than $25 for both.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-37300
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lil-37000
Store in Arlington, if you're around that way, no waiting, no shipping.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

the other thing that sold me on the kenedy approach is no bypass needed and no foaming happens. pressure wise, all you need is a little to keep the hose and filter full.

Don - WA5NGP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in