Really need yall a help - Page 2 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:56 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The connector you pictured is C201 on the steering column. It is a main connection between everything in the steering column and the rest of the truck. It includes the wiring for the horn, turn signals, air bag, ignition switch and everything else on the column.

There is a device that looks like a large tape measure in the column. It is actually a coiled up strip of plastic with multiple wiring traces in it like a printed circuit. It is called the clock spring. As you turn the wheel the clock spring winds up and unwinds but keeps constant contact.

All of this flexing eventually leads to it breaking. It carries the power for the horn button, any steering wheel switches and most importantly the power for the air bag. If that is going bad you will lose various parts from the steering wheel. I suspect it is on the way out and the first thing to go was the horn so the PO installed a separate switch. If I'm right you will soon lose the air bag and steering wheel switches.

I didn't mention C201 before because it should not have any potential for intermittent contact like you are seeing. What it would do if it was bad is just not make any connection at all for the tow/haul switch and it would stop working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

So if ur right I would need a new clock spring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:30 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

yes, IF I'm right. I answered your PM.

That won't likely fix anything about the tow/haul situation though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Thats ok Ill worry about that later if I even hook it back up. Just glad I can drive the truck other than my 5 mins drive to work.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:14 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Does that mean that the tow/haul situation is resolved?

What did it?

If disabling the wire from the C201 connector did it then the problem is most likely in the steering column wiring. Much of that is part of the turn signal switch so that replacing the switch replaces most of the wiring including the horn wires but not the tow/haul wires. The clock spring may be okay and the combination switch wiring may be the problem. More testing is needed.

Where was the tow/haul wiring cut before? If it was near the switch, in the column then that would still leave the wires running the length of the column as suspects.

Last edited by mizterwizard; 09-04-2019 at 11:18 AM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

All I did was remove the wiring to the button for the horn which Im assuming was causing an unwanted ground. As soon I did that no more problems. The tow haul wiring had the light blue wire going to the module and the ground going into the peach wire. Im not sure where the ground for the button on the shifter (black/white) is suppose to go.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 02:22 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

It could be that the horn button was wired in wrongly and was using the tow/haul circuit for a ground. Then if the spring on the button was weak or if there was something floating around inside it there could have been momentary contact that wasn't long enough to activate the horn relay but was enough to trip the electronic circuit for the tow/haul.

The black and white for the tow haul should go to a better ground than it has. When you get around to fixing it you should look into running a wire to G203. It is on the left end of the dash above the fuse panel and near the instrument cluster opening. Perhaps the best way to get to it would be through the instrument cluster opening or by removing the fuse panel. There is a similar ground G200 on the right end of the dash.

If you can't get to G203 then I would try to find the connection on the back of the relay panel that it originally went to and do something with that. Perhaps a scotch lock onto another black and white wire would do the trick since they should all be grounds of some sort. This circuit only carries trivial amounts of current so it wouldn't overload any other ground but the ground has to be good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode