2016 LML maintenance - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

2016 LML maintenance

I donít have a particular reason to make this thread other than to share a few pics for anybody that might be interested in seeing them.

The truck has 45,922 miles and 3,149.9 engine hours.

I did an oil and filter change on my dads 2016 LML a few days ago. Itís a 3500HD that is used as a farm truck. It frequently tows and hauls heavy loads on the gooseneck. It has always had the oil changed according to the OLM.

I drained the transmission, changed the spin-on transmission filter and cleaned the magnet. I refilled it with 7.4 quarts of Full synthetic Dexron VI. The factory fill that I drained actually looked good for the number of hours that the truck has. The spin-on transmission filter has been changed once before at 31k miles.

I went ahead and drained the factory fill transfer case fluid while I was under there. It was starting to get a little dark and was more of a brown color rather than red. It wasnít terrible, but definitely needed changing. There was a decent amount of fuzz on the magnet but nothing alarming. I was expecting it to be much worse based on some of the reports Iíve heard from others.

There are more pics: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2tNXMtPxgbNUgEKi9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/FNAwQbbQ7g7rKWPG6

2017 Chevrolet 3500HD (L5P)
CM SK Aluminum flat bed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:36 PM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Thank you for your interesting post and photos. In my own case, I have no idea how much, if any maintainence my Allison received prior to when I bought it at approx. 70,000 mi.

First thing I did was change all the fluids - was pleased to find the auto trans. fluid still "red"; no sign of heat discoloration.

My magnetic plug had NO metal filings - soin your case, I would be concerned - obviously they are ferrus ( or the magnet wouldn't have picked them up ) I defer to the transmission experts in here - my personal opinion is that looks like maybe the clutch plates are incurring excessive wear.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 06:54 PM

I do Not meant to derail your post, I just bought my first 16 LML also and never own a Duramax before. anyway how do you pull up the engine data ( miles/hours and avg speed) above? THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dura#2500 View Post
I do Not meant to derail your post, I just bought my first 16 LML also and never own a Duramax before. anyway how do you pull up the engine data ( miles/hours and avg speed) above? THANKS

The miles/hours can be seen on the DIC. To find your average speed you just divide miles traveled by engine hours. I write down how many miles traveled and engine hours accumulated per OCI and figure the avg mph per oil change interval. The image above is just data that Iíve entered into a spreadsheet.

2017 Chevrolet 3500HD (L5P)
CM SK Aluminum flat bed
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6686L View Post
Thank you for your interesting post and photos. In my own case, I have no idea how much, if any maintainence my Allison received prior to when I bought it at approx. 70,000 mi.

First thing I did was change all the fluids - was pleased to find the auto trans. fluid still "red"; no sign of heat discoloration.

My magnetic plug had NO metal filings - soin your case, I would be concerned - obviously they are ferrus ( or the magnet wouldn't have picked them up ) I defer to the transmission experts in here - my personal opinion is that looks like maybe the clutch plates are incurring excessive wear.
The pic of the plug is from the transfer case, not the trans,

2015.5 Silverado 3500HD LTZ Z71 SRW
Summit White
275/65/20 Duratrac's on Black WORX Beast II Wheels
Edge Insight CTS2
Cognito UCA's, Idler, Tie Rods.
Back Flip Tonneau Cover
Ride Rites/ Wireless Compressor
EchoMaster IntelliHaul Camera System
22K Reese

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode