The D-Max 2019 Fuel Filter Shootout!! Pt 1 - Page 20 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

171Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #191 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 06:31 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedNeck View Post
Now I’m searching my purchase history on Amazon....
Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
Been there... done that
Quote:
I went back looking through my order history and just about every gold Baldwin I bought over the years was also sold by Doxa-Worldwide. Obviously, they must have been made better than the red Baldwins Bob received because I have not had any fuel system failures. This has really been an eye opener for me. Not only to buy from a reliable source, but to also inspect the filter the best you can, no matter where you buy it from. When I changed my oil, the Baldwin oil filter I got was shipped and sold by Amazon. I received it with a big dent in the bottom of it. Knowing how well made and robust that filter is, it got exchanged. I will be going over my filters with a fine-toothed comb from here on out.
This thread also made me go back and look at my order history. I was lucky that I have not purchased anything from Doxa. Needless to say, my days of ordering filters from the Zon are now over.

Can't wait to see the final results here.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
This thread also made me go back and look at my order history. I was lucky that I have not purchased anything from Doxa. Needless to say, my days of ordering filters from the Zon are now over.

Can't wait to see the final results here.
I don't have a problem ordering from Amazon if it is sold directly from them. However, my fuel filters will only be sourced locally now.
JimmyD and wensteph like this.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #193 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:46 AM

Just another knock on Amazon. 2 years ago I ordered a replacement magnet for the Allison spin on filter from amazon. It said genuine Allison replacement..,when I got it it was maybe half as think and could barely hold a metal screw compared to the the old / original magnet that would catch the screw from at least an inch away. After that I stopped buying “important” parts from amazon.

The Republic of California
2014 Chevy 2500HD bone Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2500 View Post
Just another knock on Amazon. 2 years ago I ordered a replacement magnet for the Allison spin on filter from amazon. It said genuine Allison replacement..,when I got it it was maybe half as think and could barely hold a metal screw compared to the the old / original magnet that would catch the screw from at least an inch away. After that I stopped buying “important” parts from amazon.
Its crazy that you bring this up as I just ordered a new magnet for my dads truck (doesn't service his truck himself and the "transmission shop" didn't transfer the magnet over). I saw alot of bad reviews for the magnet. After some searching though, I found an AC Delco magnet, shipped and sold by Amazon. It came in yesterday and looks just like my factory magnet.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #195 of 257 (permalink) Old 10-30-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Hey everyone... it's been a busy 2 weeks getting my heap together and attending the 2019 California Hot Rod Reunion.

It's all behind me, and I'll get my ass back on track for the filter shootout.

Thanks for understanding.....
DaJokr, eli_harper13 and Racewazes like this.
post #196 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-04-2019, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisoBob View Post

Well, check this out. I picked up the red Baldwin filter, and noticed it felt VERY light. Notice it's completly factory wrapped, and unaltered in any way.

Well, looking up thru the factory plastic wrap, I can see the INNER pleats of the OUTER filter!!

Its a little deceiving, but there is a considerable air gap between the bottom of the media, and the floor of the canister. It is not sealed in any way!

When looking up, the exit fitting is clearly visible. When this filter was made, the entire inner filter assembly was left out. This would allow diesel fuel to enter the filter, flow around the outer filter media completely, come up where the inner filter is missing, and out to the common rail pump COMPLETELY UNFILTERED!

I am not unwrapping the filter, I already emailed Baldwin and will send it off to them for examination, and have ordered a replacement to use in the test.

Surely, I cant be the only one to have received the ONLY filter in this condition.... right?
NOPE, you are not the only one. I just received one exactly like it. Not real anxious to use it, was going to see what your results were on this filter. Seems to resemble the old Parker /Racor before the coalescer !

Purchased from Amazon-Doxa Worldwide
Parker/Racor is silent
Baldwin goes clickety click,
Stamped "Assembled in USA"
You can see straight through the Baldwin, pleats are visible unlike the Parker, a totally different animal !

Last week there appeared to only be one supplier of the Baldwin, Doxa
checking Amazon today, there are several in the same price range including the Amazon Warehouse.
mizterwizard likes this.

07 LBZ SLT 4X4 CrewCab/SB

Last edited by BIOTEC; 11-04-2019 at 02:09 PM.
post #197 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:46 AM

I contacted Parker / Racor. Both Parker / Racor and Baldwin filters are now being produced in the same Baldwin plant in Nebraska. P/R on one side and Baldwin assembly line on the other. It is rumored that somewhere down the road, one of the brands will be eliminated completely and there will only be one brand produced by the company. This is only a rumor within the company and he did not want to be quoted but said it was a real possibility. They are still working out all the details of the merger and the lines are still separate as far as marketing and warranty, so he said don't send your Baldwin to P/R for warranty.

Then I contacted Baldwin, the filters we all bought from Amazon are more than likely genuine Baldwins. BF46062 is a water separator filter, NOT a coalescer, just a filter/water separator filter. These two filters are different and not intended to be the same.

Doxa Worldwide is not a genuine distributor, nor is Amazon but they buy bulk and resell from certified distributors. One of those certified distributors is B-LINE Filters in Odessa Tx, so if you want to be certain that you are not getting a knockoff, order from them. They are also a Parker/Racor distributor.

On micron filtration, the P/R coalescer water separator is a 4 micron absolute, not nominal. P/R is licensed by GM to produce the AC Delco and the P/R is the identical filter ( I think we all knew that). He wasn't inclined to discuss other companies that they produce or manufacture for or supply to (ie, filter parts say to Joe's filter company for assembly).

Baldwin is also a 4 micron absolute filter, but just that, a filter water separator only and he said you can see the pleats when looking up inside the filter, that is normal for this filter. The difference between the BF46062 and the BF9882, the previous filter, is that the current BF46062 is 85-90% efficient removing water and the previous BF9882 is only 25% efficient.

The Parker rep also added that Parker makes two filter assemblies designed for diesel trucks that can be installed between the tank and final filter.

Parker 490R30, about $225, is a fuel water separator filter and head assembly. Replacement filters can be ordered in 2 micron(s), 10micron(T) or 30 micron(P)

Parker 790R30, about $325, is the same only with a 90 gph pump in 12 or 24 volt, as an assembly, with 2,10, or 30 micron filters. This appears to be a very neat compact unit, looks pretty cool.

So...bottom line is that we more than likely have genuine Baldwin water separator filters, they just aren't coalescers like the Parkers..

Last edited by BIOTEC; 11-05-2019 at 04:03 PM.
post #198 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOTEC View Post
I contacted Parker / Racor. Both Parker / Racor and Baldwin filters are now being produced in the same Baldwin plant in Nebraska. P/R on one side and Baldwin assembly line on the other. It is rumored that somewhere down the road, one of the brands will be eliminated completely and there will only be one brand produced by the company. This is only a rumor within the company and he did not want to be quoted but said it was a real possibility. They are still working out all the details of the merger and the lines are still separate as far as marketing and warranty, so he said don't send your Baldwin to P/R for warranty.

Then I contacted Baldwin, the filters we all bought from Amazon are more than likely genuine Baldwins. BF46062 is a water separator filter, NOT a coalescer, just a filter/water separator filter. These two filters are different and not intended to be the same.

Doxa Worldwide is not a genuine distributor, nor is Amazon but they buy bulk and resell from certified distributors. One of those certified distributors is B-LINE Filters in Odessa Tx, so if you want to be certain that you are not getting a knockoff, order from them.

On micron filtration, the P/R coalescer water separator is a 4 micron absolute, not nominal. P/R is licensed by GM to produce the AC Delco and the P/R is the identical filter ( I think we all knew that). He wasn't inclined to discuss other companies that they produce or manufacture for or supply to (ie, filter parts say to Joe's filter company for assembly).

Baldwin is also a 4 micron absolute filter, but just that, a filter water separator only and he said you can see the pleats when looking up inside the filter, that is normal for this filter. The difference between the BF46062 and the BF9882, the previous filter, is that the current BF46062 is 85-90% efficient removing water and the previous BF9882 is only 25% efficient.

The Parker rep also added that Parker makes two filter assemblies designed for diesel trucks that can be installed between the tank and final filter.

Parker 490R30, about $225, is a fuel water separator filter and head assembly. Replacement filters can be ordered in 2 micron(s), 10micron(T) or 30 micron(P)

Parker 790R30, about $325, is the same only with a 90 gph pump in 12 or 24 volt, as an assembly, with 2,10, or 30 micron filters. This appears to be a very neat compact unit, looks pretty cool.

So...bottom line is that we more than likely have genuine Baldwin water separator filters, they just aren't coalescers like the Parkers..
I don't know much about this, but I would assume having a coalescer in the filter is better?

post #199 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:20 AM

Coalesce is a type of filter media like cellulose, microglass, hydroglass, etc.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #200 of 257 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't know much about this, but I would assume having a coalescer in the filter is better?
I don't know what the advantage is but, I'll pay the extra $5 for the 3018.

Baldwin [email protected] $29
AC Delco TP3018 @ $33.76

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode