The D-Max 2019 Fuel Filter Shootout!! Pt 1 - Page 21 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #201 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Coalesce is a type of filter media like cellulose, microglass, hydroglass, etc.
Is it superior to pleated media or just another filtering material ?

07 LBZ SLT 4X4 CrewCab/SB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #202 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 01:15 PM

Here is Racors description of the filter.

https://www.parker.com/literature/Ra...216_-_7717.pdf

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #203 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eli_harper13 View Post
I don't know much about this, but I would assume having a coalescer in the filter is better?
All I know is that I just ordered a lifetime supply of the real Racor before the bean counters screw it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #204 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 05:45 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

This has little to do with filters directly but it caught my eye. In the description of the filter in the link it says that it has a flow rating of 50GPH. Unless you have 3 or 4 of them in parallel in your fuel system it would not only be wasteful but also potentially damaging to the filter to have a lift pump rated for 150-200 GPH. I presume the lift pump manufacturers use a filter that is rated for the flow they claim from their pumps but other filters might not work well with the big lift pumps.

If someone has a high flow lift pump and wonders if it is compatible with a certain filter they might want to send one to AlisoBob for examination.
post #205 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

OK... I know you guys are chomping at the bit, for some movement on this thread. Between everything I have going on at the moment, It's been hard to find the time.

So here's a little tease.... using the iFJF filter as the example.

It looks like a quality filter. Nice paint job, nice box. But before we look inside, lets talk about the outside.

Anyone ever wonder why the Duramax filters have the shape that they do? It has to do with the dual element construction and the water separating function they are supposed to perform.

As you will see, the bottom of the outer element has a oring that seals on the I.D. of the small diameter on the bottom of the can. This forces the fuel thru the filter element but allows the water to drop out of the inner part of the outer element and settle down in the sump portion of the filter. If you need more explanation on this,let me know. This will come up a few times...

So, I pop this thing open, and it's a clone of the Racor... cool right! Wrong. It's a clone, with a few very disturbing flaws.

Here is a side by side of how the element sits in relation to the can.

The oring on the smaller portion of the outer element seals in the I.D. of the smaller portion of the can.... got it?

Well, it dosent. It does not touch the can at ALL! Its about 1/16" of a inch too small to make any contact, at any point.

The fuel is free to bypass the outer element at will, 100% of the time!

The fit is so poor, iFJF squirts a bunch of hot glue into the void, to keep the outer element from rattling.

Remember some reports of rattling filters. This is where it's coming from. I would strongly suggest returning ANY filter that rattles no matter the brand and get your money back!!

So, if the outer element is non functioning, this is all thats protecting the very expensive fuel injection system, the inner element.

In a real Racor, this is the secondary "polishing" filter and water remover. In the iFJF it's the ONLY functioning filter and it's water removal capability is very suspect. Many of you have started you have never seen water drain out of your filters. Many of you probably run a different brand filter too. If you think this sh!t construction is unique to iFJF you are sadly mistaken as you will see as the filter shootout unfolds.

Here is the promise from iFJF.

Whenever you see micron numbers without efficiency numbers,RUN AWAY! They are already lying and deceiving you.

iFJF sux.....
post #206 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Here's a closeup, complete with hot glue blobs...
post #207 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:35 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Yah!!! This is the one I paid for so I'm glad to see it being looked at first! On the other hand I'm a bit ashamed of it, all things considered. It would have been really nice if it had been a high quality unit because the price is good. Oh well.

The thing is, it was so close to being good. How much would it have cost to make the outer element 1/4" longer and at least have a usable filter for those who are on a really tight budget.

One has to wonder though, if they did this, what did they use for filter media. As Bob points out, a single number without any frame of reference is not very telling. You could fill the housing with wire screen and it would take out some 4 micron particles at maybe .001% efficiency.

Thanks Bob. Go! Go! Go!
post #208 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:37 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

You know, Christmas is coming and waiting for AlisoBob's results is a lot like waiting for the Jolly Fat Pagan to come down the chimney.
post #209 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:45 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I always love reading the results and your opinions. Thanks for the teaser Bob. Take your time, when you get to it, you get to it! We are patiently waiting
JimmyD and onetigger725 like this.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #210 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
How much would it have cost....
That was part of the eyeopener of the oil filter shootout.

Some filters were so close to being usable, yet had some tiny flaw that would have cost $0.000004 to correct.

Not mentioned in regards to the quality of the iFJF were the super crappy threads on the water drain connection. They felt like NPT, where the further you screwed in the drain, the tighter it got. This was well before the oring made contact.

After 2 or 3 filter swaps, the threads on the drain adapter would be shot.

Its like they took the American thread pitch, converted it to metric, and lost a little something in the translation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode