The D-Max 2019 Fuel Filter Shootout!! Pt 1 - Page 24 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #231 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter_tzx View Post
Response from Baldwin.

The filter in the photo is correct, the filter was redesigned in June 2019. The bottom of the current design is open so you can see the inside of the pleats. The filter will still function in the same manner as the old design.
I have sent Baldwin the pictures of HWI filters for there review. Waiting to hear back. Guess they changed the design of the BF46062 and is not the original design that HWI had. His date was Feb. 2019 mine in July 2019.
Sounds like it depends on you talk to at Baldwin as to which answer you get.
It will be interesting to see what the explanation is between your filter and the filter HWI has.
It appears that one hand might not know what the other is doing.

Called B-Line, a distributor for both Parker and Baldwin
My jobber price for Racor is just under $30 for 99% efficiency at water removal
Baldwin is $35 for an 85-90% efficiency
Parker/Racor certainly appears to be the better choice.
so if you are buying a Baldwin from Amazon or elsewhere for $28, makes you wonder.

07 LBZ SLT 4X4 CrewCab/SB

Last edited by BIOTEC; 11-07-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #232 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:59 AM

Baldwin response to the parker racor pdf. From post #202
https://www.parker.com/literature/Ra...216_-_7717.pdf

That is the old design filter that is no longer made.

Baldwin response to the pictures of HWI's filter with the secondary filter inside. And me stating that it was closer in design to the BF9882.

The BF9882 was the old design that was switched to the BF46062 when AC Delco released the TP3018. All of these filters are changing to the new design and it does not matter if it is Racor, GM or Baldwin.

2008 GMC 2500HD Z71 CCSB. S&B CAI Volant power core filter w/ wrap, transgo jr, Zone 6" lift w/ Zone uca, fox shocks, xd tie rods, xd idler and pitman, moog sd lower ball joints, Blistein steering stabilizer, Fass 95, Beans sump, HSP hot side pipe, power steering cooler, Mishimoto transmission cooler.
post #233 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:

Baldwin response to the pictures of HWI's filter with the secondary filter inside. And me stating that it was closer in design to the BF9882.

The BF9882 was the old design that was switched to the BF46062 when AC Delco released the TP3018. All of these filters are changing to the new design and it does not matter if it is Racor, GM or Baldwin.
What ???? So they are saying that the Racor made starting from June 2019 is now a single stage filter? I am having a hard time believing anything this guy says.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
BIOTEC likes this.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #234 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:10 AM

Well there we have it. Straight from Baldwin. All the filters delco, parker/racor, and the Baldwin will be the newer open design without the secondary filter in place. There never where any fakes. Nor one design since the change to BF46062. They changed it in June. And I was wrong about the quality control guy.
I will try to find a new filter local of the old design and wait a see how the filter shootout goes with these new open design Baldwin's. My
Guess is the bean counters have gone mess up for parker/racor.
1 wheel peel likes this.

2008 GMC 2500HD Z71 CCSB. S&B CAI Volant power core filter w/ wrap, transgo jr, Zone 6" lift w/ Zone uca, fox shocks, xd tie rods, xd idler and pitman, moog sd lower ball joints, Blistein steering stabilizer, Fass 95, Beans sump, HSP hot side pipe, power steering cooler, Mishimoto transmission cooler.
post #235 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Quote:

What ???? So they are saying that the Racor made starting from June 2019 is now a single stage filter? I am having a hard time believing anything this guy says.

Believe me or not. All you have to do is email Baldwin. Would you believe them?

post #236 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:21 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

So if the filters across the board are switching over to this cheaper and theoretically inferior design, does this possibly make the loathed CAT filter mod a better option? The way i see it, if your not getting water separation anyway, may as well get the industrial filter that's probably built to a higher spec.

Also, i compared the new filter i got from amazon (the AC delco) to another new one i had from the same seller (amazon) and one rattles and the other does not. Very odd. Ill send both in and we can all take a look.
BIOTEC and mizterwizard like this.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #237 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM

This is going to be a very eye opening. Alisonbob. I want to say thank you for taking your time and doing this. And the timing is perfect with this newer design coming out.
BIOTEC and onetigger725 like this.

post #238 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:45 AM

If I get a chance today I am going to try and find a Racor made after June 2019. All of mine were made in 2018 and are the 2 stage coalescing filters.

2006 Express 3500 Ext. 4" Turbo Back Exhaust, bye bye kitty and ruffler. EFI Live. Custom made air intake with dry Aem filter. TDK bumper.
post #239 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:49 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIOTEC View Post
There are a lot of counterfeit filters out there, a lot of German knockoffs also. According to my buddy who runs a shop in North Florida, Amazon is currently involved in several lawsuits over this very thing.

Guys, just relaying what the engineer said.
Baldwin doesn't make two different BF46062 filters, never have according to the engineer. This is one of the questions that I asked him and he said that the only change was from the BF9882 to the BF46062. According to him there is only one genuine BF46062, the one that HWI had in his photo. I'm sure it is possible to get a genuine Baldwin from Amazon or ebay but that is probably more like Russian roulette.
Hate to say it but told you so. I am a mechanical engineer and have worked at multiple manufacturing plants. Stuff like this happens all of the time. Most engineers are clueless unless they are speaking about the few projects they are actually leading. You cannot expect them to know the design and changes of every filter baldwin produces.
mizterwizard likes this.
post #240 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
So if the filters across the board are switching over to this cheaper and theoretically inferior design, does this possibly make the loathed CAT filter mod a better option? The way i see it, if your not getting water separation anyway, may as well get the industrial filter that's probably built to a higher spec.
If they all change, I will just be depending on my lift pump filter I guess . Is it possible that the new design isn't inferior to the old design? Maybe just a different method to achieve the same filtration?

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode