The D-Max 2019 Fuel Filter Shootout!! Pt 1 - Page 29 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Maintenance Discuss scheduled maintenace, capacities, filter part numbers, etc.

254Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #281 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Thank you and sorry for the stupid questions.
The "01-24-19" was the rattler.....

The crimps were pretty faint on it, so I took a photo of the other one so they would show up better....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #282 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 10:57 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopSpecialties View Post
Just curious as to which date code rattled since it looks like in the pics there are 2 different filters ? The one filter looks like it has small holes poked in the plastic wrap ? Then I assume that both were stamped with "Assembled In USA" ? Thank you and sorry for the stupid questions.

Both filters had the perforations in the plastic. not sure why they are there, seems counterproductive but both filters appeared identical from the outside. I looked over both pretty well before shipping them off. The only difference was the bag of seals was not in the same location under the shrink wrap on both filters, though i could see this being a manual production step so some variance may be normal.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #283 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Here's a run through of the water separation test. This is #2 diesel, with a cup of blue food dye added to it, at 0 minutes. All the dye (WATER) is settled at the bottom.

Then I gave it a really good shake!!

All the dye was in suspension

After 2 minutes, some settling is occuring

After 5 minutes, most of the dye has settled out

After 10 minutes, the majority has settled out

At 15 minutes it's all separated.

The way I'm going to do it is to pour 2 gallons of dyed fuel through each filter. I will pour 1 gallon in 2 minutes to make sure the 1/2 cup of dye ( water) is in suspension, then mix another gallon and the other 1/2 cup of dye and pour it in 2 minutes.

The collected fuel will sit for 15 minutes and I will suck up what water has collected in the bottom and measure it. I will also drain the filter and see whats collected in there.

I'm starting with 1 cup of dye in the 2 gallons of fuel.

In a perfect world, there should be ZERO water in the collected fuel, and cup of water in the fuel filter sump, which about is it's maximum capacity.

I'll let you guys know how it goes on Sunday.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #284 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-22-2019, 05:22 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

I like it, eager to see results.
onetigger725 likes this.

Beastly Build
LBZ Drag Racing
2006 GMC LBZ 4x4 CC/SB
1/4 Mile [email protected]
1.793 60'
DIED 09/19/17 11:02AM
REVIVED 12/21/17 3:57PM
post #285 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 09:26 PM

can i still throw money at this project? i'd like to know the quality of CAT filters are..... Or FASS for those of us that just ordered lift pumps at about page 19 of this thread.
post #286 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-24-2019, 09:33 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Talking

How about you throw money at me!!!
onetigger725 likes this.
post #287 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:14 AM

Not really contributing to the results here but....Heres an interesting one I didn't know... Actually it shocked the crap out of me (and the seller)
I was recently discussing the Baldwin BF9882 with a gentleman and he sent this pic to me.

The 9882 was replaced by the 7827 for a short time (I assume while operations were moved between CAN and USA ??) But noteworthy is the little stamp just left of the Logo and BF7827

MADE IN CHINA WTF?? Seriously!!! a Baldwin Made in China and even stamped on the canister? Notice the water seperator threads have a sealant on the original BF9882one and not of the other?

http://www.small-block-chevy.com/images/Dmax/BF7827.jpg

I'm just hoping the 46062 that is the current replacement for the 9882 is not going to be a mess like found a few pages back!!!

2004.5 Silverado CCSB LLY
Sinister EGR delete,
S&B air box and up-sized S&B intake mouthpiece,
CAT converter delete,
ATP 5 stage tune - Edge CST w/ EGT and backup camera,
5" AFE Power full exhaust kit
Airlift 5000# bags w/ on-board remote compressor

Just a nice CLEAN stock truck for towing the toys to the playground with a back seat full of grandkids
post #288 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-25-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvDmax04.5 View Post
Not really contributing to the results here but....Heres an interesting one I didn't know... Actually it shocked the crap out of me (and the seller)
I was recently discussing the Baldwin BF9882 with a gentleman and he sent this pic to me.

The 9882 was replaced by the 7827 for a short time (I assume while operations were moved between CAN and USA ??) But noteworthy is the little stamp just left of the Logo and BF7827

MADE IN CHINA WTF?? Seriously!!! a Baldwin Made in China and even stamped on the canister? Notice the water seperator threads have a sealant on the original BF9882one and not of the other?

I'm just hoping the 46062 that is the current replacement for the 9882 is not going to be a mess like found a few pages back!!!
Every 9882 I ever used was made in China. Doesn't surprise me that the (also gold) 7827 was made in China too

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
post #289 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-29-2019, 11:41 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvDmax04.5 View Post

First off, the 7827 was the first Dmax fuel filter by Baldwin. They revised it to make it better at shedding water, ie made it coalescent(sp?) and the 9882 was born. They revised the filter again when they finally announced that they were bought out by Parker and the 46062 was born.

All of my 9882s were born in China, and I only ever had one have a problem. It loosened up on me driving down the road. I switched to another one out of the same order and never had a problem again.
eli_harper13 likes this.

2013 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD | D/A | CC/SB | 4x4 | Bilstein 5100 Shocks and Stabilizer | Roadmaster Active Suspension | All Stock Otherwise
post #290 of 323 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SilvZ71 View Post
All of my 9882s were born in China, and I only ever had one have a problem. It loosened up on me driving down the road. I switched to another one out of the same order and never had a problem again.
I ran the 9882 filters from 2015 to 2018. Never had any problems until 2018. Had two come loose on a buddies truck, two come loose on my truck, and one come loose on another buddies truck. Switched to 3018s and haven't had an issue since.

2011 LML Silverado 2500HD CCSB Z71, Leveled, Bagged, AFE DFS780 Lift Pump, B&W Companion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode