Which Exhaust, Please Help! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Which Exhaust, Please Help!

So I’m finally about to “D” my 2016 3500 duramax! However I can only get a hold to two exhaust systems. Afe 5” with exhaust turbo back or Afe 4” with exhaust turbo back! What’s the main differences between the two, what should I get, please help me out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

With Muffler, not exhaust!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 01:26 PM

5" is usually deeper sounding than 4". I personally run 5" on my trucks. I get straight pipe units, then install FTE resonator if need be to reduce drone and muffle sound. They come in 17" or 30". I run the 17". Still on the louder side with much reduced drone.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Reverse level with Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100 all-around
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
Off-road Only
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Which exhaust would give me more turbo whistle?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 09:09 AM

Location: we live in a high mountain valley in the hi country of northern arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by liftedlineman View Post
. . . . .. . . .
My suggestion is - if you have a need to make noise with your truck, why not just do away with an "exhaust" and just run a straight pipe - no muffler, no nothing.

I personally found the stock 4" to be more than satisfactory - have two standard truck mufflers "in series" - so it sounds essentially stock.

You need to design your exhaust system to reflect your needs.

2013 3500 long bed crew cab. Purchased at approx. 80,000; now have 91,000, convert to CP3. DPF "triggerd" a limp mode, so was cut out of the vehicle & cleaned by a DPF cleaning co., on re-installation, everything back to normal. Would never ever think of something as nasty and as anti bunny wabbet as a full-delete...after all..dosnt everyone like the fun & excitement of being stuck by the side of a Interstate in the ran while towing when one's truck's computer decides to go into "limp mode"...?.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 10:20 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

The stock exhaust diameter, according to Walker Muffler, is 3.5" I.D. It's too cold for me to go out and crawl under my truck to measure and besides, I'm lazy. If there was any power to be gained on a stock truck by going to a larger pipe they would have done it at the factory. It would have been just a few bucks at that level and even 5 hp would have been worth the price. Had GM put a 6 inch exhaust on the truck, people would have been selling 8 inch pipes.

If you keep the catalytic converter it seems to do a lot for drone and doesn't hurt performance at stock levels. Of course if you plan to go to 700 HP some day then bigger will be better.

Otherwise, bigger is just bigger.

My wife's car is 1.6L and it rumbles like a truck. Exhaust tone is a function of many different parameters and if you want rumble you can get it from a stock sized pipe.

If you want turbo whistle you can get an exhaust tip that does just that. But if you really want it to sing you need an aftermarket compressor wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duramax+t...ref=nb_sb_noss
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:09 AM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
So Im finally about to D my 2016 3500 duramax! However I can only get a hold to two exhaust systems. Afe 5 with exhaust turbo back or Afe 4 with exhaust turbo back! Whats the main differences between the two, what should I get, please help me out!
If you really plan to D your 2016 i think the 4 and the 5 are likely too big....

5" should be a little louder, little more rumbly, and the 4" will likely be quieter with less drone. I would go 4" unless you are making serious power. Turbo screams on my 4", either way i think you will be fine there.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by J83 View Post
Quote:
So I’m finally about to “D” my 2016 3500 duramax! However I can only get a hold to two exhaust systems. Afe 5” with exhaust turbo back or Afe 4” with exhaust turbo back! What’s the main differences between the two, what should I get, please help me out!
If you really plan to D your 2016 i think the 4 and the 5 are likely too big.... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/DuramaxForum_2016/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]

5" should be a little louder, little more rumbly, and the 4" will likely be quieter with less drone. I would go 4" unless you are making serious power. Turbo screams on my 4", either way i think you will be fine there.
Yea I’m running PPEI tunes, top tune is 200hp. So not really into major HP, looking for the benefit of a “D” truck and amazing sound, but not that drone!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:38 AM
HWI

Quote:
Quote:
...but not that drone!
You can't get maximum turbo sound without drone. For maximum turbo noise you would want a straight pipe with no muffler, but you will get some drone. To have no drone you have to have a muffler, and even with a muffler some aftermarket exhaust will still drone at interstate speeds.
Personally, I like 4" with no muffler and an aftermarket downpipe, good exhaust note, pretty loud when into the throttle, but no problems at all having a conversation in the truck no matter the speed. That is assuming a rear exit, if you do an axle dump then that is a different story.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2019, 11:42 AM
HWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizterwizard View Post
The stock exhaust diameter, according to Walker Muffler, is 3.5" I.D. It's too cold for me to go out and crawl under my truck to measure and besides, I'm lazy. If there was any power to be gained on a stock truck by going to a larger pipe they would have done it at the factory. It would have been just a few bucks at that level and even 5 hp would have been worth the price. Had GM put a 6 inch exhaust on the truck, people would have been selling 8 inch pipes.

If you keep the catalytic converter it seems to do a lot for drone and doesn't hurt performance at stock levels. Of course if you plan to go to 700 HP some day then bigger will be better.

Otherwise, bigger is just bigger.

My wife's car is 1.6L and it rumbles like a truck. Exhaust tone is a function of many different parameters and if you want rumble you can get it from a stock sized pipe.

If you want turbo whistle you can get an exhaust tip that does just that. But if you really want it to sing you need an aftermarket compressor wheel.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=duramax+t...ref=nb_sb_noss
I don't think most people get an aftermarket exhaust for power, but for sound. The stock exhaust is the epitome of bland, all the beautiful exhaust notes the engine makes being caged. A good exhaust adds character and excitement, just as Rudolph Diesel intended.
mizterwizard likes this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode