DIY CNC Girdle - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

DIY CNC Girdle

Hello All,

I'm looking for some help on the dimensions for a duramax girdle that someone has laying around the shop. I would need to know the overall dimensions curves, via a tracing would be perfect so that I can transfer that into a CADD file and CNC cut Girdles. I'm thinking I could probably knock these out for about $200 a pop in lieu of the going rate of $750 a pop if anyone wanted these at discounted rates. I really only want the dimmensions for a one time budget build I'm doing. The only other thing I would need to understand would be the material? "Billet" in machine generally refers to aluminum or the process of removing material from a whole to get the desired dimmensions / characteristics. I was thinking it would be effective to cut them out of cold rolled steel at 1/2" Thickness, which is about as thick as I could go on the cnc machine. TIA, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

All,

I'm not 100% sure how to edit this post or delete it to revise it. The moderator in another forum became very upset when I posted a similar post from above in the forum. Instead of asking for the dimensions of a girdle to avoid the thought that I want to copy anyone else's work verbatim, I'm really looking for a diagram of the bottom of the block so I can machine holes and the outline to the correct dimensions to line up the block. I can obviously measure these myself, however, an additional reference would be helpful. Obviously this would be essentially the same as the outline of the girdle, but I want to clear that up in an attempt not to offend anyone. If that type of diagram exists on here already I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to that. In my post on the other forum I explained that the bottom end of the blocks dimensions is all that is necessary, but I should re-phrase that here. Additionally, the $200 a pop was an attempt to help other forum members out on builds as a nice thing to do. Obviously the cost of the material and tooling will cost me that or more so I would not be attempting to exploit this thread for any sort of profit through this thread. If this type of thing is not allowed, then please post a reply to this saying so and I will not cut one for anyone else for this cost. The $200 cost I threw out there was to explain what I thought it would cost me to make (tooling and material) and not for me to make any sort of profit, if it was not self explanatory already by being so low. Also in case it was not self explanatory, this "design" would not have been used on other applications before and would therefore be considered R&D and would be use at your own risk until tested, although I do plan to tool it from High strength materials to maximize probability of performance. I'm also working on creating main caps that would go with it on my build if anyone has tried doing this themselves and has any advice that would be helpful as well. Thank you all in advance for your insight. In hindsight I wish I had only requested the block dimensions but I was thinking it was the same as the girdles out there so why not get the girdle measurements as it would be easier for someone to measure. I don't have my engine torn down that far yet but I plan on measuring those things myself as a double check. I would like to get started on the CADD in advance. Thanks in advance, Have a great weekend everyone.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Garage
The same thing crossed my mind when I read your post on both forms. You are, essentially, ripping off somebody else’s work. If you want to start manufacturing, best bet is to find a block and take measurements yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017 GMC 3500 DRW/CCLB

--2015 GMC 3500 SRW/CCLB--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-17-2020, 05:25 PM
J83
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

If you are looking to make a girdle for yourself, you will need to install it in the engine anyway, which should give you a test engine to measure from. If you have access to the equipment to mill a girdle, you should also have access to the equipment to take the measurements, and i highly doubt that a tracing of an existing girdle would give you sufficient accuracy to produce a good quality working part.

If that is not an option, i would go find a totally wrecked block that is junk (so its cheap) and then tear the bottom end off to measure the holes and spacing.

I will add though that in terms of copying someone else's design.... Its just an outline of the block with holes for the caps and bolts. Its not like its a trade secret what those measurements are either since they come right off the engine, so anything you would make that serves the same purpose would be very similar in appearance to what is available for purchase already so i dont really see this as ripping anyone off, but i dont think a tracing will get you where you want to be, since you at the mercy of whoever traces the part.

For example. if you dont have hole transfer punches, your just going to shove a pen in the holes and hope you get something close to center. close and high power performance diesel engine dont really go hand in hand.

2015 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD 6.6L LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode