Fuel lift pumps? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Performance Upgrades Discuss what Intakes,Exhaust,Fuel System,Programmers,Tuners,&Trans. are right for you.

6Likes
  • 3 Post By Hook'em_Horns!
  • 1 Post By Yumadavis
  • 2 Post By Dean E

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Fuel lift pumps?

Newbie here!

I have a 2013 Duramax, i am interested in a lift pump to help my fuel pump. i don't intend on making any mods except maybe someday removing the def system. I see on many sites that they are using really large pumps, which i don't understand.
If i understand correctly, my truck doesn't have a lift pump as stock? At 70mph uses at most 7 gal of fuel per hour, why do i need a pump that will supply 100gph or more at 45psi?

Please help me understand this?

Thanks
Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:37 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
You don't.
Look into the JK pump, and add an aux FWS filter pre-pump.

Here are some ideas;
https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/d...-pump-kit.html

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:15 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Since you are a newbie you may find this thread interesting/helpful.

https://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/m...ew-owners.html

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, MBRP Downpipe back 4" exhaust with muffler and FTE 30" resonator/muffler, Sinister EGR Delete, Tuned but wont say who did it, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:21 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

Garage
Read young Jedi, read and be amazed at the collected wisdom that abides here.
SilverGorillaLML likes this.

Yumadavis
2001 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLE
6.6 Duramax 4x4
Acquired 6-20-2019 w/203,157
Stock, set up for 5th whl, PAC brake, 40 gal aux tank
Yuma, AZ
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHut View Post
Newbie here!

I have a 2013 Duramax, i am interested in a lift pump to help my fuel pump. i don't intend on making any mods except maybe someday removing the def system. I see on many sites that they are using really large pumps, which i don't understand.
If i understand correctly, my truck doesn't have a lift pump as stock? At 70mph uses at most 7 gal of fuel per hour, why do i need a pump that will supply 100gph or more at 45psi?

Thanks
Randy
You don't. Egos prevail more than common sense. It is the "bigger is always better" scenario. First the Bosch system CP4 that your truck has was designed to suck fuel from the tank, thru the fuel filter/water separator and into the low stage on the CP4. Under ideal circumstances the system works as advertised. With age and the use of the ultra low sulfur diesel fuel the seals can break down and allow air to be pulled into the fuel delivery system. It is like sucking fuel thru a 15 ft straw. You can do it but any little issue can cause a bigger problem. GM is the only one who did this. Ford and Dodge both have fuel pumps in the fuel tank to push the fuel to the CP4. The latest version of the Duramax also now has a fuel pump in the fuel tank. Lift pumps like Air Dog and FASS replace the pump in the fuel tank on those trucks and in many applications need the 45 PSI or so for delivery. On your truck you simply want a small amount of head pressure in the fuel delivery to feed the low stage of the CP4. 10 psi by most here is considered to be the max pressure to do this. Anything more will induce accelerated wear to the low stage of the CP4.

As to the flow. Yes you average 7 gallons per hour driving but the rate of fuel you truck can use will vary. When under a heavy load or hard acceleration the flow required is much higher. The flow rate of the lift pump is designed to meet those requirements. Once again egos can prevail and think that more is always better. You just need to keep positive fuel delivery under these conditions.

Lift pumps that come from Air Dog or FASS are designed to continuously circulate the fuel in the fuel tank. They are designed to separate the suspended air that can be in diesel fuel. That aerated fuel is returned back into the fuel tank. This process allows the fuel to go thru multiple passes thru the filter. The Kennedy system is only a single pass unit. If you live in a colder climate the Air Dog and FASS systems also have optional electrical heat that can aid in keeping your fuel warm enough to help prevent gelling. This warmed fuel is then circulated back into the tank also to keep the fuel from gelling.

Which is best. Well you might as well start another oil thread. Everyone has plenty of opinions and theories on this matter. Do your homework and discover what works best for you. I installed the FASS 95 on my truck. It is designed for stock to lightly modified trucks. I could immediately see a difference in the idle quality and throttle response. I live in MO and for the most part it does not get cold enough to worry too much about the fuel gelling otherwise I would have added the electric heat. I did add an adjustable pressure switch downstream of the lift pump. It is adjusted to about 6 psi and operates a LED light on my dash. I did that to see if when under a heavy load or hard acceleration if my fuel filters might be restricting the flow of fuel to the CP3 (my truck is an 2008 LMM, you newer truck, the LML uses a CP4). If under a load I see my LED light come on I know I need to replace my fuel filters soon. Not required but something I did for a bit of piece of mind.

Hope that explains most of what you had questions about. Good luck in making your decision. Dean
mray and dl0310 like this.

Last edited by Dean E; 07-21-2019 at 10:34 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

These have the fuel rail with electric operated injectors if i understand them correctly. Since they draw from tank and not pumped to the pump, do these rucks have a pressure relief valve and return line back to the tank like my old truck did? (mechanical pump, relief valve and return line back to tank to allow unused fuel to return to the tank.)

2013 Chevy 2500HD LTZ 4wd 102k miles Stock as far as i know. Bought used with 88k in 2018, all emissions are intact.
All fluids were changed after purchase, no surprises when done.
Had to replace thermostats and 9th Injector since purchase.

Previous truck was 1995 5.9L Cummins Ram -260k 18 years
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHut View Post
These have the fuel rail with electric operated injectors if i understand them correctly. Since they draw from tank and not pumped to the pump, do these rucks have a pressure relief valve and return line back to the tank like my old truck did? (mechanical pump, relief valve and return line back to tank to allow unused fuel to return to the tank.)
There is a return back to the tank. Matter of fact the return does have a heat exchange that is mounted just in front of the tank. You usually have to take it off of the mounts to get to the quick disconnects that are used to install the lift pump on many applications. Dean
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:20 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I tried to reply to your PM but for some reason it didn't work, three times. Here is what I said:

I can't seem to get this to work. I've tried twice now and it comes back the same as if I didn't reply. Here is what I had posted the second time.

I replied to this but it doesn't seem to have taken so I'll do it again.

I am partial to Kennedy and Carter lift pumps. If I was doing this now I'd probably go on Amazon and see what they had to offer. Once I found what seemed good to me I'd do a google search for best price. Sometimes ebay or another site will do better than Amazon.

You need to be careful to stay on the same product though because especially with Carter there are many that look a lot alike but aren't the same.

Depending on how paranoid you are you might consider installing two lift pumps in parallel so that if one fails you would still have the other one. If you do that then I would look for something in the 25-30 gph range.

Pressure doesn't matter. All you need to do is raise the fuel about 2 feet to the height of the CP. More of a work load is pushing the fuel forward against strong acceleration which may induce something like 5-6 feet of head. In any event, 3 psi is all the pumps will ever see as far as lifting and acceleration pressure. Then there is a bit of restriction in multiple filters but again it isn't much as long as the filters are kept clean.

One of the main reasons to install a lift pump is so that you can overcome the resistance in 2 or 3 filters. With some of the lift pumps you get filter blocks but with others you don't and need to come up with your own. There are lots of good options but first of all I'd keep the stock filter head in the stock location, more or less.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of people on here that would disagree with me but I believe I have good reasoning behind my ideas.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 05:46 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

FASS 95 and Airdog 100 if you go this route would be all you need, both have a lifetime warranty that sends fuel thatís not needed at the engine is returned back to the tank.

Iím partial because I actually have a liftpump installed on my truck, AD for about 6 - 7 years.
The diesel performance shop I frequent likes FASS, I prefer AirDog because they have much better customer service.

You also have Kennedy Diesel liftpump mentioned earlier, I have no experience using this product, but many have.
I would only choose between these 3, all 3 have been proven in the diesel community.

You might consider using a good diesel fuel additive if your not, also many have said bio fuel is good, we donít have bio in my state, so Iím mum on suggesting this.

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
DHD Cold Side High Flow Intake Pipe
DHD PCV Re-Route
AirDog 4G100

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in