Welcome South Bend Clutch! - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
South Bend Clutch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum n00b

Welcome South Bend Clutch!

DuramaxForum.com would like to welcome South Bend Clutch as our newest supporting vendor!

Please take a moment to visit their website at the following URL:

South Bend Clutch - High Performance clutches, Ford Power Stroke & Dodge Ram Truck clutch kits, feramic and ceramic disks, Kevlar pilot bearings, and heavy duty clutches for passenger/racing cars, agricultural and midsize trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 04:38 PM
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?

Cool, Glad to have ya aboard Peter!

Hot rodding duramax trucks since 2004
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-08-2009, 05:08 AM

Thumbs up I have one! :)

If anyone wonders how the single mass flywheel kit works out I would have to say that mine is perfect! It makes me wonder why GM considered the POS they were using. I ate 3 of the stock ones and couldn't get a straight answer out of any of those weasals.
The Single mass is smooth and quiet too. If I didn't tell you it was in there, you wouldn't know it. I have about 90.000 miles on it so far, 200k on the truck. Thanks SouthBend!

Jim Schaechter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 01:15 AM

I checked out their site and they have the right chevy s10 parts I needed. Particularly the clutch kits. Thanks also to them!

Last edited by mikeross; 01-13-2010 at 07:48 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Just want to say thanks to the guys a south bend, great customer service
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 07:14 AM
DF Sponsors

Thanks and you are very welcome.

Too Funny, I have been paying for this site for some time now and didn't even know about it. I got her in my favorites now and will be checking in.

Peter
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2011, 01:53 PM
Hi, I'm Earth. Have we met?

LOL! Cool deal Peter be good havin ya around here!!!!

Hot rodding duramax trucks since 2004
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I want to upgrade my clutch, but I don't know which clutch would be best for me..

2006 CCSB LBZ -FPE Billet S472 w/HSP Kit, Studded, Plugged, Deleted, Levi's Blankets, 3" Drop Shackles, OLs removed, Braces, Kryptonite Front End, Electric Fans, Suncoast GMAX6, MA Trans Brace, Pump Rub, Transgo, MagHytec Pans, Magnaflow, Rigid, Alligator, PPEI Tunes, 305/50 Nitto 420s, 20x10 Fuel Couplers, Trac Bars by LWATSON

2004 RCLB ZF6 LLY -SOLD
Billet S472, Southbend DD
2004 CCSB LLY -SOLD
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM
DF Sponsors

Just give us a call and we will walk you through it.

Peter
800-988-4345
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2012, 09:56 AM

Clutch Problems

I posted the following to the Southbend Testimonial page on their website:

"I had a single disc solid flywheel clutch installed in my Chevy on 02/15/10 by The PowerShop in Enumclaw, WA for $1855.03. The shop is 2 hours from my house, so I just drove down and waited for the clutch to be installed. After the truck was taken apart, the mechanic opened the box for the clutch and discovered two flywheels and no clutch plate. The PowerShop provided me with a rental car to get by for a couple days while they ordered a new clutch with the right parts. On 04/19/11, I noticed a clunking noise when shifting. I was able to find the cause of the noise, which was a loose transmission mount bolt, but the bolt had been stripped out. I also noticed a fluid leak from the transmission. There had also been a loud squealing noise coming from the clutch plate right while letting out the clutch. I hadn't ever had a heavy duty clutch like this, so I asked about it when I took the truck back to the shop. They checked it out and said everything was normal, fixed the leak, and couldn't find a problem at all with the mounting bolts. I crawled under the truck to show them what I was talking about, only to find 2 brand new mounting bolts that were tight. The owner of the shop offered me a discount, so I paid the $271.82 for the work and drove the truck home, but noticied a new whine noice at all times from the transmission. Even with the clutch pushed in, the whine would be there and change pitch as you ran the shifter through the gears. I called the shop, but at that point they said everything was fine and they were basically done with it.

Last month, I was driving from WA to MD. In the middle of WV, on the freeway, the RPMs climbed and I lost all power like the clutch was slipping. I pulled over tried reverse and a couple gears, but the truck wouldn't move and there was a good bit of grinding noise. I had the truck towed to the nearest shop that would work on a Duramax with a manual transmission to get it fixed. He found that the center of the clutch plate had "disintegrated." Since he didn't deal with anyone but Luk, he had to basically replace everything including the flywheel and put the truck back to stock. It cost over $1700 dollars on the repair, and I was able to finish moving across the country. The stock clutch is quiet, there are no strange squeaks or whines in it at all, and it's very smooth compared to the clutch I had installed in WA. The truck is used for everyday driving, with occational times I pull a trailer or truck bed camper. I've never heard of a clutch breaking so quickly and having so many problems under normal use. Would you guys like me to send it back so you can investigate what went wrong?"

I received this email back:

"We would like to see it. Please call us for an RMA so that you can send it in for us to check out.

Mary Bauer

SOUTH BEND CLUTCH
709 W JEFFERSON BLVD
MISHAWAKA, IN 46545
574-256-5064
800-988-4345
574-256-2568 FAX
www.southbendclutch.com"

I then called for an RMA number, but they told me I would have to pay for shipping to send the clutch back. I know this clutch is out of warranty and I was willing to help them out by letting them take a look at it and improve on the design. Something major went wrong here.

I responded to Mary with the following email, but I haven't heard anything back:

"Mary,
I'm not going to be able to pay to send the busted clutch back. If you guys want to pay for shipping that's fine. Even if Southbend determined this to be a defect and sent me a new clutch plate, I wouldn't have the money to get it installed. Also, is there a reason my testimonial hasn't been posted to your website?
Silas"

Since Southbend apparently only posts positive reviews to their website, I figured I would post mine on here instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in