Maricopa Emissions - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Southwest Events AZ - CA - CO - NM - HI - NV - UT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Question Maricopa Emissions

Does anybody have a definitive answer if installing a turbo back exhaust system, i.e. cat + DPF delete, wil cause my truck to fail the emissions test? I'm rather new to the diesel game, Heyyaa , and would really like the benefits of the DPF delete, along with EFI Live in the future, but don't want to have to worry about the dang emissions test. Thanks for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:54 PM

It depends where you are getting the test done, someone said in another post that a place in scottsdale doesnt even check, and I know when I went to suprise they didnt check my cat. I had a turbo back but had a magna flow 4" hi flo cat put in by a muffler shop on Bell east of the 101. The test they use is smoke, but it's anyones guess if they will check it. You could take the test and see if they spot it. If you fail just have a cat installed.

2007 GMC Sierra SLT-LBZ- 5" MBRP Turbo back
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:54 PM
DF Sponsors

I would definitely keep your stock exhaust as a spare just in case they do happen to look and spot it missing you wont have to buy a new stock system. Its really a gamble, It all depends on who is working at what station. I dont have any emissions, yet in surprise and glendale ive been harrassed about how I dont have a cat and I have an egr delete when It never had it to begin with lol. I wouldnt worry about getting an exhaust, but you better be prepared to put it back on if you do fail a test though.

Tyson
Arizona Diesel Club- click here
2003 CCSB LB7 EFI-Airdog-Traction bars

Parts/Service- [email protected]

ARP - Cognito - EFI Live - Edge - FLO~PRO - ISSPRO & many many more!
www.CHDIESEL.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:01 PM

I would also suggest to go Saturday morning, I always get the guys who just want you in and out.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 09:44 PM

Garage
I just did emissions. Like everybody said, it all depends on who you get and where you go. If your out at speed world on Saturday I can explain my test in detail and how it went down.

Duramax LMM-S483 over 4094R DBL Bat/38mm wastegate/ SnowMeth Stage 3/Industrial Injection 60% overs/ PPE Dual Fueler/ PPE Stage 5/ Suncoast 1055/ Cognito Pitman and Idler Arm sup/ PPE Centerlink/ Rare parts Tie Rods/ FASS 150/ BD Intercoller/ AIR Raid Intake/ EFI Live by Motorops/ EGR Delete/ PPE Manifold and up pipes/ PPE fuel rail fitting

ARIZONA DIESEL CLUB
ADC 666
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 AM

See you there.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Live in Vegas and gotta take my truck through emissions in Phoenix. I am going to bring the CAT with me just in case. I am running 5" right now so not sure if it will be possible to rig up a quick change out....

2005 GMC LLY CCSB

S&B intake, AFE mouthpiece, 5" MBRP, Edge Insight CTS w/pyrometer and Boost sensor, EFI Live (PPEI DSP5 via CTS), Inland Empire Carrier Bearing, AD II 165, 3" DP, 3" IC Pipe, SDP EGR Delete, PCV Rerouted, SS brake lines, Chrome RBP 94Rs 20x9, Toyo 305/55/20s, Cognito NTBD Lift with UCAs, Bilstein 5100s, Cognito HD Tie Rods, Amsoil By-pass

Alpine INA-W900BT, DDM 6000K HIDs
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:01 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

All the stuff fell out of my cat. It looks stock but it's hollow inside. We don't have emissions here, but others have told me they usually only check to see if the cat appears to be in the system.

2004.5 GMC SLT 4X4 CCLB LLY Ally, EFI Live V2 & DSP5 by Rob, trans by Mike L, Magnaflow DP, Ride Rites, LBZ turbo inlet mod, AD II 165, po' man CAI, HIDs, stock height, Cognito tie rods, Bilstein 5100s, Isspros, H2 wheels with Toyo OC 285-70-17s, B&W turnover & Companion, Prodigy P3, dog snot on windows......

Sent from my antique HP DV7-4183cl with Radeon HD5470 graphics, Beats Audio and Blu-ray drive.....
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

So riddle me this batman. Are the DPF delete race pipes with bungs designed to "fool" the DMV folks? AND if you remove the stuff from inside the cat, reinstall it, install the DPF race delete pipe with bungs, hook up the wires, and get a flow through muffler but keep the stock size pipe wouldn't that be almost as good as getting a 4" or 5" system?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm That Guy...

The answer is YES, you WILL fail...

Some guys get lucky, but the ANSWER is the ANSWER. Lots of guys don't get caught, but it's your choice to gamble or not.

Tony
Non Vendor contact information, URLs and/or links are NOT allowed in signatures OR on forum!
My opinion is not the opinion of Duramax Forum, Auto Forums, Auto Guide, or other Duramax Forum staff members!

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

17 GMC Sierra CCSB z71 SLE L5P (Work Truck)
Old Trucks: 1 - LB7, 3 - LLY, 1 - LMM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode