Interested in Duraburb have questions? - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suburban and SUV Discussion of Diesel Installed SUV's

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 06:10 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast
 
rparlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 4,740
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMXCITD View Post

From what I understand...most builders and people try to install the engine appropriate w that year bodystyle....and I am not certain if it has do w the wiring and computer already in place so it will mate up and be able to communicate or not.

My suburban is lifted...they lift it a little and level it to that but I went w a 3 inch lift. That being said....I know some people want an OEM appearance or totally stealth so I feel like once the engine and driveline is installed they are lowered again to a factory like look.
Due to emissions regulations, you cannot put an older engine into a newer vehicle/body. i.e. LBZ in a 2009 Suburban body (based on the VIN). If you had an 06 Suburban body, no problem putting an newer LMM or LML in - provided you can make it fit and communicate. I believe some states (Commiefornia) also require that the body/frame of the vehicle match the type of vehicle the donor engine originally came out of -- 3/4 ton for a duramax, for example.

The body lift is to accommodate the Allison trans. You could go the 4L85e route like the DuraVans, but need to tune the engine for lower power or you'll roast that trans.

Ryan

2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT CCLB 4x4

Mods: EGR block, EFI LIVE by Rob (DSP5), Edge Insight CTS2 w/ backup cam and EGT probe, Pacer 07.5+ smoked cab lights, M-A Pump rub fix, TransGo Jr w/ Mike L springs, Russell stainless brake lines.

My Build Thread
rparlee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
TerryRH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 299
Garage
I don't know if you've started this or not or called yet or not, but I called over and talked to Eric Swanson personally (I was actually surprised that he answered the phone himself two of the times I called), and he is more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He will answer your questions in detail and make sure you understand before the conversation is over. I thought my questions were silly, but he goes on the adage that the only silly question is the one you don't ask and mess things up.

I also watch the channel DEBOSS GARAGE, and he did a diesel swap into is Yukon/Tahoe. He's another one that always always will answer your questions as best as he can without hesitation.

Good luck on your swap. I plan on just dropping mine off do Duraburb after researching all that goes into this swap. I have a 2007 Suburban 2WD LTZ, and I'll be going with an LMM with the AutoTrac 4WD that they install on their trucks. The LML seems nice and all, but I really don't need more than that for my family vehicle. I'm upgrading it to be able to take my whole family (wife and I +4 full time kids +1 that comes on occasion) on vacation and tow the trailer much easier.

To each their own.
lifeoriley likes this.

Terry
USMC 2001-2016
2002 CCSB 2500HD

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/447132.png
TerryRH is offline  
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017, 08:36 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryRH View Post
I don't know if you've started this or not or called yet or not, but I called over and talked to Eric Swanson personally (I was actually surprised that he answered the phone himself two of the times I called), and he is more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He will answer your questions in detail and make sure you understand before the conversation is over. I thought my questions were silly, but he goes on the adage that the only silly question is the one you don't ask and mess things up.



I also watch the channel DEBOSS GARAGE, and he did a diesel swap into is Yukon/Tahoe. He's another one that always always will answer your questions as best as he can without hesitation.



Good luck on your swap. I plan on just dropping mine off do Duraburb after researching all that goes into this swap. I have a 2007 Suburban 2WD LTZ, and I'll be going with an LMM with the AutoTrac 4WD that they install on their trucks. The LML seems nice and all, but I really don't need more than that for my family vehicle. I'm upgrading it to be able to take my whole family (wife and I +4 full time kids +1 that comes on occasion) on vacation and tow the trailer much easier.



To each their own.


Good to hear man. I have not yet started the build. Things have not quite lined up right for me to start it but I am still planning on it.

I have made my mind up on a 2005-2006 suburban 3/4ton and swap a LBZ into it and go twin turbo and shoot for 800whp. Burb is just gonna be a fun toy and project and something I can pile the friends in and maybe family one day but I am also looking at a new L5P as my main truck and hauler.

Looking forward to starting to build and will definitely post pics when I do start it and along the progress.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duramax_va is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 01:25 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryRH View Post
I don't know if you've started this or not or called yet or not, but I called over and talked to Eric Swanson personally (I was actually surprised that he answered the phone himself two of the times I called), and he is more than willing to answer any questions you may have. He will answer your questions in detail and make sure you understand before the conversation is over. I thought my questions were silly, but he goes on the adage that the only silly question is the one you don't ask and mess things up.

I also watch the channel DEBOSS GARAGE, and he did a diesel swap into is Yukon/Tahoe. He's another one that always always will answer your questions as best as he can without hesitation.

Good luck on your swap. I plan on just dropping mine off do Duraburb after researching all that goes into this swap. I have a 2007 Suburban 2WD LTZ, and I'll be going with an LMM with the AutoTrac 4WD that they install on their trucks. The LML seems nice and all, but I really don't need more than that for my family vehicle. I'm upgrading it to be able to take my whole family (wife and I +4 full time kids +1 that comes on occasion) on vacation and tow the trailer much easier.

To each their own.
I would love to go this route someday. The whole diesel SUV thing is just cool; I really wanted to install a 4BT into one of my FJ80s but was never able to pull the trigger. I also tow a large-ish tag RV, and with as many as 7 people depending on the trip, priced out the Duraburb option. However, with 8.1 Suburbans being cheap and plentiful, that's the route I took. Keep us posted when you get the project started.
BigGreener is offline  
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGreener View Post
I would love to go this route someday. The whole diesel SUV thing is just cool; I really wanted to install a 4BT into one of my FJ80s but was never able to pull the trigger. I also tow a large-ish tag RV, and with as many as 7 people depending on the trip, priced out the Duraburb option. However, with 8.1 Suburbans being cheap and plentiful, that's the route I took. Keep us posted when you get the project started.


Yea the price to have a duraburb built isn't cheap but I plan on doing it myself so I will save a ton


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duramax_va is offline  
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018, 09:03 PM
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 6
I purchased a 2009 burb with a lmm installed by Travis Kenney aka CSK (California Salvage Kings) Complete hack job!!!!! Do not buy a build from this guy. A business on Ebay know as duramax specialties usually sells his builds. Their gonna tell u on every build the drivetrain on has 60k on it!!! The motor he put in mine looked like it came from the bottom of a pile at a junk yard next to the ocean. Last time I ever purchased a vehicle unseen. I thought this guy was legitimate, boy was I wrong.
Dieselcessna65 is offline  
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:59 AM
I'm That Guy...
 
TDFDiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 16,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselcessna65 View Post
I purchased a 2009 burb with a lmm installed by Travis Kenney aka CSK (California Salvage Kings) Complete hack job!!!!! Do not buy a build from this guy. A business on Ebay know as duramax specialties usually sells his builds. Their gonna tell u on every build the drivetrain on has 60k on it!!! The motor he put in mine looked like it came from the bottom of a pile at a junk yard next to the ocean. Last time I ever purchased a vehicle unseen. I thought this guy was legitimate, boy was I wrong.
I did some work on an 05 Suburban years ago that they had swapped. They had plastic welded the MAF sensor into the intake and it was causing all kinds of issues and a "hack job" was a great way to describe the swap. It had wiring issues, sensor faults, check engine light, non-working systems, etc... All in, got it fixed up and was a great Suburban afterwards.

Tony
Non Vendor contact information, URLs and/or links are NOT allowed in signatures OR on forum!
My opinion is not the opinion of Duramax Forum, Auto Forums, Auto Guide, or other Duramax Forum staff members!

CLICK TO READ: FORUM RULES OR DF STAFF!

17 GMC Sierra CCSB z71 SLE L5P (Work Truck)
Old Trucks: 1 - LB7, 3 - LLY, 1 - LMM
TDFDiesel is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome