Duraburb Cooling System Recommendations? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suburban and SUV Discussion of Diesel Installed SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

Duraburb Cooling System Recommendations?

I've got an '05 duraburb (LBZ) with cooling issues while towing my camper. it cools fine on relatively flat ground, even during summer temps, but this fall travelling over the rockies it was continually over heating, both engine and tranny. once it got hot i could pull over and idle for 20 minutes and temps would drop to normal. i didn't build it but i am guessing the LBZ crammed into the burb's engine compartment, and stock coolers just can't keep up at high loads.

looking for recommendations on aftermarket radiators and tranny coolers.

2005 2500 Suburban LBZ

2011 2500 Silverado LML
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Since no one has responded, here goes. First let me say I am new to diesels, and have no expert/experience advice with your truck. But I have 30 old cars most stuffed with oversized engine compared to stock. Some cannot be stuck in SoCal summer traffic. See if you have a heavy duty radiator like might have came with a tow package, I have/use aluminum two core 1 1/4 inch cores. On my duramax project I am locating the intercooler under the truck.To keep air to radiator as cool as possible. On one project we used 30 inch round finned trans coolers, (single pass) machined the ends added 1 1/2 “ tube ends for radiator hose and used a meziere electric water pump, my truck will have the same. Also I am adding the “Mike L” trans cooler, and remote engine oil cooler. I have no ideas to the inner fender panels on your truck, they may need to be there for structural integrity, but I have a few cars where they were eliminated. To get more cooling air in, the air that has passed through the radiator must get out. Another way is to adjust the hood hinge to raise the rear of hood. It may cost to have it cool for use, but pulling over is a pain.

1948 diamond t. ,2011 lml,lbz Ecm,Danville turbo,40 lbz injectors,ppe up,down,exhaust manifold. air dog feed pump, dual a/c compressors,head and rocker studs,208motorsports harness,dmax welded water pump & houseing,trans and converter mike L,diamond eye 4 inch exhaust.LBZ mouthpiece. Dual oddessy batterys.PPE oil pan,30 inch fte resonator

Last edited by Roger O'Dell; 12-15-2017 at 06:35 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Forgot to add I use Evans coolant, Iím old and my disc is full so there may be some other tricks I forgot

1948 diamond t. ,2011 lml,lbz Ecm,Danville turbo,40 lbz injectors,ppe up,down,exhaust manifold. air dog feed pump, dual a/c compressors,head and rocker studs,208motorsports harness,dmax welded water pump & houseing,trans and converter mike L,diamond eye 4 inch exhaust.LBZ mouthpiece. Dual oddessy batterys.PPE oil pan,30 inch fte resonator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode