LBZ using drop shackles with airbags - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By pigpen23

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

LBZ using drop shackles with airbags

Hello all,

I installed Airlift bags on my LBZ some time ago to address the squat issues while pulling my toyhauler. I am pleased with them. They did accomplish what I was hoping for.

However, unloaded with the bags at 5psi the rear of the truck really sits up high. I prefer the truck to sit level front to rear. Is it possible to do lowering shackles while utilizing airbags? I figured I could trim out the loaded / hitch weight with the bags. Seems like if you drop the rear of the leaf spring it would compress / crush the bags.

I have zero knowledge about lowering shackles but I do wonder how they hold up under the load of a trailer when towing (Im at roughly 18K GCVW towing). Of course, GM engineered the pickup for pulling. Do the shackles throw a wrench in things from a engineering standpoint?

https://www.amazon.com/McGaughys-Low.../dp/B00B0Z29J4

06 2500HD CCSB 4wd LBZ | Fleece Trans cooler lines |Edge Evolution CTS2 w/ EGT probe| Bilstein 5100s|Michelin Defender LTX M/S LRE| "OEM" Turbo Brake | Airlift # 88275 airbags
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 11:52 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

I've read numerous stories where people have used lowering shackles with airbags. I'm convinced it will work and am planning on ordering bags shortly here before snowmobile season begins.
Noble_dmax likes this.

Casey
2016 Denali 3500HD - Starting from scratch.
Drop shackles. 285/75R18 RTs on Factory Wheels.

2018 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
2012 Silverado 2500HD - Sold
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 06:51 PM

Garage
If you want to do the 2" shackles and then bags you are fine on most trucks, My truck sits level with the trailer on and I would much prefer it sits the same way empty so I am going to do it myself. All of my dually's but the last 2 have been lowered and the only one that was at all a problem was my 09 with a 5/3 drop , I had to adjust the pinion angle and I replaced the Bump stops with Timbrens cause it would bottom out on a hard bump and the Timbrens absorb the hit where the factory bumps don't do much. 2" is not a big deal as to the tolerance's but it makes a lot of difference in getting the stink bug look empty out of it. There is more than enough tolerance in the Firestone or Air lift bags to tolerate 2"

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-07-2019, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

I used the Amazon link to McGaughys 2" as an example. Any tips on what drop I need? Is it as simple as measuring from ground to middle of fender lip on both axles get the variance and buy shackles the length of the variance?

Also, what is the best brand? I do tow, so I want something burly out of good ol' american steel. I tried Cognito first with no luck. Found these on eBay and they look real burly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253713795614?ul_noapp=true

I have a message into seller on LBZ Availability.

06 2500HD CCSB 4wd LBZ | Fleece Trans cooler lines |Edge Evolution CTS2 w/ EGT probe| Bilstein 5100s|Michelin Defender LTX M/S LRE| "OEM" Turbo Brake | Airlift # 88275 airbags
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 04:39 AM

Garage
I believe those are the same ones that alot of guys used cause you can leave the bed alone , most all the other ones you have to bend or cut the pinch weld or they rub, they are a quality piece, and pretty level and with the bags you can keep it same ride height all the time with different loads.

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-08-2019, 06:02 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

You can use the drop shackles included with the Sulastic shackles to lower the rear end 1 1/2 inches and improve ur ride at the same time.

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma66 View Post
I used the Amazon link to McGaughys 2" as an example. Any tips on what drop I need? Is it as simple as measuring from ground to middle of fender lip on both axles get the variance and buy shackles the length of the variance?

Also, what is the best brand? I do tow, so I want something burly out of good ol' american steel. I tried Cognito first with no luck. Found these on eBay and they look real burly

https://www.ebay.com/itm/253713795614?ul_noapp=true

I have a message into seller on LBZ Availability.
Did you end up doing drop shackles with the airbags?

2004 LB7
S&S SAC00 Injectors
AirDog II-4G 100
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNKLB7 View Post
Did you end up doing drop shackles with the airbags?
Not yet. Addressing the steering issues right now and will revisit shackles later.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 04:33 PM

I put the Mcgaughy (sp?) ones on my '11 3500 and it lowered it nicely. On a 3500 I took the overload brackets off as the springs would rest on them and chatter. The airbags made up for the capacity. I ended up with the smallest pinion shims available and ran them for 140000 KMs. without difficulty. With these shackles it did require some "body English" with a hammer to clear the fold on the box seam. At first I just backed off the torsion bar bolts as far as could go to lower the front a bit, but ended up switching to lowering keys. I trimmed off about halfI ran of the rubber bumpers for extra spring travel. I ran a compressor under the cab with a remote gauge and switch to allow me to easily adjust air pressure while on holidays, so I retained the good ride while trailer was off.

2015 CHEV 3500 Dually CC 4x4
Katzkin leather & heated seats, I board running boards, Linex lower treatment
SOLD: 2011 GMC 3500 Denali CC SWB Duramax
Lowered 2 1/2"
Banks Cat back exhaust
Black factory boards
Hauling a Bighorn 5th wheel

Mice ate my emissions wiring and stuff under my truck-
Bye Bye DEF and all that crap!
converted DPF to a resonator & it works great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode