Need new wheel bearing - Page 3 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-20-2019, 09:14 AM
DuramaxForum n00b

I have 944,000 on both of my wheel bearings. If one ever does go out I will be putting a stock one from the dealer back on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 09:49 AM

IMO: go with Timken, they make the best bearings available for these trucks. I had one original bearing going out at about 75k miles, so I went ahead and replaced both. I figured about 75k miles for a set of bearings is decent life. But that's with a lift and much wider tires, so they wear faster.

2006 GMC LBZ Duramax, White CC, Rancho Lift, MBRP no meow Exhaust, S&B Intake, Duramaxtuner DSP5, usually on 4, Transgo Jr., blah blah blah . . .
Also own: 06 Sportster, 08 Buell 1125R, 58 Deville with problems, 60's fiberglass body hot rod, and the wife has an 11 Acadia.
post #23 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 01:58 PM
HWI

I like Kryptonite stuff, but the lifetime warranty doesn't actually help me at all because you have to send the part in before you get a replacement. Meaning the truck will be down until you receive that replacement, that may work for some people, but I use my truck almost everyday, so it unfortunately does not work for me. YMMV

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-23-2019, 02:00 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Plus the freight cost

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #25 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

Well, just to give an update I drank the Koolaide and got the Kryptonite. I already had them ordered before everyone chimed in about just getting the Timkens and I didn't have time to return and replace. I can confirm that it is indeed a rebranded Timken. A couple observations, it looks like the speed sensor wire has an additional wrap on it for protection, and it has a cool logo engraved on the face of it but other then that, it looks just like the Timken. I bought mine from the Dmax store, and I also bought the 4 replacement bolts to attach it to the steering knuckle. I will say, I am sorely disappointed in the quality of their replacement bolts. I almost stripped all the heads before reaching the proper torque. I used the right size socket but right before I got the click on the torque wrench the head would strip. They have thread locker on them so I'm not worried about them not being tight enough but they're going to be a bitch to remove.

Speaking of a bitch to remove, whoever replaced the previous wheel bearing (I have a feeling that they were the stock ones that got re-installed when the PO had the lift kit installed) did not put the o ring back into the knuckle when replacing. There was no o ring anywhere and my old wheel bearing hub was rusted on the knuckle so badly. It looks like moisture just sat in there because there was no o ring to seal it out (no wonder it failed). I hammered, heated, cursed, and did everything I know how. I finally got it out by heating one side, going at it with a air hammer, and doing it to the opposite side and after 5 or 6 hours got the thing out. Lots of cleaning up and the new one was installed in 30 minutes.

Thanks everyone for your help!

2007 Chevrolet 2500 LT3 LBZ CCSB
ECM & TCM tuning by DuramaxTuner | Digital DSP5 Switch | Transgo Jr | Edge Insight CTS | 4" MBRP DP back | 3" Downpipe | AEM Cold Air Intake | PCV Reroute | MA Pump Rub Fix | 4" Cognito lift | 20x10 RBP wheels wrapped in 305/55R20 Sumitomo Encounter AT tires
post #26 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 07:17 AM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
Do you honestly think Kryptonite builds it's own bearings!! Guaranteed they're Timkens or SKF in a Kryptonite wrapper. But it's not my money.
This^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by renagde View Post
I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Kryptonite ones. I know they're quite a bit more then Timkens, but I've never heard anything but good about Kryptonite stuff. Also, I've always told myself since buying my truck that I'm going to buy as good of a part that I can afford when replacing stuff and hopefully someday stuff won't break any more lol
Lifetime warranties don't mean that things will last forever. They just mean that they'll give you a new part. And, the warranty isn't worth much if you're constantly inconvenienced with failures which is why I gave up on Crapsman tools. I've read a number of bad reviews about Kryptonite failures when sourcing front end parts for an upcoming rebuild.

The 'general consensus' is that Timkens are the best. Others have had good luck with cheaper bearings but I believe they just got lucky. IMO anything but Timken is a long shot. I'm sure occasionally that some duds escape Timken QC but it's a much safer bet.
post #27 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro Junkie View Post
This^^^

Lifetime warranties don't mean that things will last forever. They just mean that they'll give you a new part. And, the warranty isn't worth much if you're constantly inconvenienced with failures which is why I gave up on Crapsman tools. I've read a number of bad reviews about Kryptonite failures when sourcing front end parts for an upcoming rebuild.

The 'general consensus' is that Timkens are the best. Others have had good luck with cheaper bearings but I believe they just got lucky. IMO anything but Timken is a long shot. I'm sure occasionally that some duds escape Timken QC but it's a much safer bet.
Kryptonite wheel bearings are rebranded Timkens. They cost more because they put a no questions asked lifetime warranty on it. I'm not sure what Timkens warranty is.
Nitro Junkie likes this.

ECM & TCM tuning by DuramaxTuner | Digital DSP5 Switch | Transgo Jr | Edge Insight CTS | 4" MBRP DP back | 3" Downpipe | AEM Cold Air Intake | PCV Reroute | MA Pump Rub Fix | 4" Cognito lift | 20x10 RBP wheels wrapped in 305/55R20 Sumitomo Encounter AT tires
post #28 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
They cost more because they put a no questions asked lifetime warranty on it.

Add to that....as I've recently discovered, the new trend now with the glam "LIFETIME WARRANTY!".... AFTER YOU PAY shipping back to them (this after back and forth banter, with pics as you plead your case of failure, since you're the guilty one for abusing the part), wait for processing, they then issue a refund check instead of replacing the defective part with another soon to fail defective part.

AND, many times, that refund is only a partial refund on the one in the pair that fails.
The freight $$ going back will be much more than what you paid to receive it, then you'll have to do it again when the other half fails.

You end up paying more in shipping both ways, than if you'd just bought quality in the 1st place.
Nitro Junkie and rockn69 like this.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #29 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
Add to that....as I've recently discovered, the new trend now with the glam "LIFETIME WARRANTY!".... AFTER YOU PAY shipping back to them (this after back and forth banter, with pics as you plead your case of failure, since you're the guilty one for abusing the part), wait for processing, they then issue a refund check instead of replacing the defective part with another soon to fail defective part.

AND, many times, that refund is only a partial refund on the one in the pair that fails.
The freight $$ going back will be much more than what you paid to receive it, then you'll have to do it again when the other half fails.

You end up paying more in shipping both ways, than if you'd just bought quality in the 1st place.
Like I've said before, the Kryptonite is a Timken wheel bearing so it's not like it's a crap part. Knowing then what I do now, would I buy the Kryptonite again? Not sure. I've heard that Timkens carry a lifetime warranty, and then when I researched it some places only had a 12 month warranty. I paid $80 more than the cheapest Timken I could find, and that one specifically said 12 month warranty. So in essence, I paid $80 for a lifetime no questions asked warranty. I have no idea how easy warranty replacement is, but like you said, it's usually a headache. The wheel bearing I did replace was a Timken, and if it was the original (are Timkens original equipment?) I would have had about 90,000 miles on it.

post #30 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:22 PM

Garage
Just a "food for thought" I have scene Timken Bearings with Chinese stamps right next to "timken" sold as Timkens in Timken box with Timken Part # I am thinking Brand name with "made in USA" the more important decision maker?
renagde likes this.

2019 Chevy Dually Door handles/color matched 110 Gal transfer-flow bed tank / 20"AE wheels Mich. 265/60/20 defender tires /husky rear flaps /cargo box/weathertech mats.tinted glass, xpel on forward surfaces, blacked out pillars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode