Need new wheel bearing - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Need new wheel bearing

Need to replace my passenger side wheel bearing. I see Duramaxstore has their XD brand, and then also the Kryptonite brand with a lifetime warranty. I'm guessing both of these are better then the Moogs, what about Timken? What is the general consensus for the best wheel bearing? Hoping to keep my truck for a long time so the lifetime warranty is attractive. Also, is there any reason to do both at the same time? Or just wait until the other one goes out as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 12:03 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

MOOG has a lifetime warranty too. So does Timken I think. Both are excellent parts

2008 Silverado 2500HD CCSB LTZ Diesel
FASS 95 Lift Pump (with Baldwin filters), Edge Insight CTS Monitor on a Windshield Mount, Nicktane Fuel Filter Adapter w/ CAT 306-9199 UHE tertiary fuel filter, Bilstein 5100 Stock Height, Bushwacker Bed Rail Caps, AMP Research Bedstep, Fumoto oil drain valve, Dorman PS Oil cooler, Pioneer AVIC 7200NEX GPS/Stereo, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000 Air Bags.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 02:36 PM

Get a good one, most warranties donít cover labor, and youíll get tired of doing them yourself pretty fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2007.5 LMM CCSB LTZ
5" Flo-Pro Straight Pipe and Downpipe
SDP EGR Delete
EFI Live DSP 5 from Danville Performance
Trans-Go Jr.
Kryptonite Stainless Steering/UCA
AirDogII-165
Edge Insight CTS
AFE Metal CAI
Rancho 4" Lift
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 03:59 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

Ive always had good luck with timkens
BOWTIE67 and reddogg12 like this.

Race/Pulling truck:2012 Cummins/Built 6.8L/Big air/Big fuel/48RE Swap/PCS 2000/B&M Gated shifter
Playing eye spy for another duramax
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Are the Kryptonite wheel bearings rebranded Timkens?

2007 Chevrolet 2500 LT3 LBZ CCSB
ECM & TCM tuning by DuramaxTuner | Digital DSP5 Switch | Transgo Jr | Edge Insight CTS | 4" MBRP DP back | 3" Downpipe | AEM Cold Air Intake | PCV Reroute | MA Pump Rub Fix | 4" Cognito lift | 20x10 RBP wheels wrapped in 305/55R20 Sumitomo Encounter AT tires
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 07:44 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGorillaLML View Post
Ive always had good luck with timkens
I have also had good luck with timkens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renagde View Post
Are the Kryptonite wheel bearings rebranded Timkens?
It wouldnít surprise me.

2016 2500hd Custom Sport, Z71, LTZ
Leveled with Moto 961's and 295/70\18 Ridge Grapplers,Amp steps, Weathertech mats, Extang Encore,S&B dry,
Wehrli intake bridge and AFE IC piping,Edge Insight cts2, AirDog II 165,SDP resonator delete, Mishimoto pcv catch can, MBRP down pipe,Recon led tail lights and third brake light, Morimoto mini D2S 5.0 projectors w/hidís, Morimoto 2stroke 2.0 ledís highs and fogs.
Kryptonite ucaís & tie rod sleeves, CCM diff drop,Fox 2.0 reservoirs, steering stabilizer, CalTracs,
Cognito PISK and heavy duty sway bar links, AirLift bags...
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 09:32 PM

5 years ago at about 100k miles my driver side went bad (a little slop doing the 12-6 o'clock wiggle test with the wheel off the ground). I still drove 3k miles across the country to get home so they often go bad slowly. I replaced it with a Timken.

I didn't replace the passenger side and it's still good at over 140k miles, although I need to check it since I just got back from a 4k mile trip.

Unless there is some major event that led to the failure (driving in flooded area or lots of river crossings?), then I don't think there is any correlation between one failing and when the other will. But some will feel that if one went, the other won't be far behind. Maybe. Maybe not. But again, I don't think so.

[added on edit] Also, some believe the bearings are not packed with enough grease which contributes to earlier failure. So, they take out the speed sensor and cram more grease into the hub. I bought "Timken" grease which is absolutely not a guarantee to be whatever they packed in the hub, and pumped some into the hub, but probably not enough to make any difference what-so-ever. But everybody should do what they are comfortable with.

2004.5 Silverado 3500 SRW 4x4, D/A (LLY), Ext. Cab, Long Bed
engineer837 aux rad, TxC CAI, LBZ MP, Scangauge II, Nicktane aux filter head, KD lift pump, 2008 PS pump, 2011 hydroboost, Frederico Swaybars, Rancho 9000XL, Torklift StableLoads, BFG AT/KO2, Lance 835 Camper often in the bed.

Last edited by jake111; 12-15-2019 at 09:38 PM.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-15-2019, 10:14 PM

Garage
Moog or Timken. Replace both for peace of mind.

I had this conversation with a customer of mine who just retired from the company that made moog. I believe it was federal Mogul. Anyway I was asking him if the moog were that much better then the other lifetime warrantied off brand bearings. He said there was a vast difference in quality still. Just that the other parts were so cheap to make that they could afford to replace the failed part.

Lifetime warranty isnít a promise of quality it is promise they will give you another when it fails. I donít base my decision solely on the warranty. Personally I donít like replacing failed parts more then once if I can avoid it.
Dales Super Store likes this.

2016 GMC 2500HD Denali 6.6l LML

DOP (used) 10/16/19 @ 8,641miles.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the Kryptonite ones. I know they're quite a bit more then Timkens, but I've never heard anything but good about Kryptonite stuff. Also, I've always told myself since buying my truck that I'm going to buy as good of a part that I can afford when replacing stuff and hopefully someday stuff won't break any more lol

2007 Chevrolet 2500 LT3 LBZ CCSB
ECM & TCM tuning by DuramaxTuner | Digital DSP5 Switch | Transgo Jr | Edge Insight CTS | 4" MBRP DP back | 3" Downpipe | AEM Cold Air Intake | PCV Reroute | MA Pump Rub Fix | 4" Cognito lift | 20x10 RBP wheels wrapped in 305/55R20 Sumitomo Encounter AT tires
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Do you honestly think Kryptonite builds it's own bearings!! Guaranteed they're Timkens or SKF in a Kryptonite wrapper. But it's not my money.

2015.5 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ, Z71, SRW.
Summit White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode