bilstein shocks ? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2020, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

bilstein shocks ?

I am old. and admittedly a little confused. But still mechanically active.
I have 2003 GMC 2500hd Sierra duramax 6.6L LB7 145K miles. I loaded up a lance 8'6" camper for last summer. But after a couple of months, i noticed a groaning sound from the front end. I have original ac shocks. every thing else seems tight. the shocks however look worn the rubber is cracked etc. The noise is very noticeable first thing in the morning, then settles down and only groans when i try a tight turn. Or put it in 4WD and turn tight.

I'd like to replace the shocks but i confused by all the options? I have air bags in the back. But i don't think the truck is lifted? I mean it's all stock and it's high? 'been looking at shocks and the bilsteins seem like the most recommended. But there are question about the lift? How do i know what the Torsion Key Lift is?

When i bought the truck, i remember i did something with the torsion bars to make the front end level. It had downward rake? I probable sound like an idiot. But i have forgot how i did it. I vaguely remember something about colors and height adjustments but just can't remember. I don't want to pay to have shock installed, at $80 an hour.
So How do i know what size shocks to buy? Measure the Old Ones? I live in a very rural part on Northern Ca so i normally buy online.
Thank ToOld
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:40 AM
HWI

You can measure compressed and extended heights, but really as long as you don't have a lift kit installed the Bilstein 5100s you'll want are 24-186735 for the front and 24-186742 for the rear.
J83 likes this.

06 LBZ CCSB
With some stuff.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

That's what i wanted to hear. Thank very much!!
-Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 11:47 AM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
I run the 4600s....stock suspension height, air springs.
Quote:
When i bought the truck, i remember i did something with the torsion bars to make the front end level.
Should be touching the bump stops....if you have any left. Might wanna inspect those for condition, as they're in integral part of the suspension up front. You'll be in there for the shocks, easy replace at that time.

Shock replacement on these are barely a 1 level on a 1-10 scale (unless your tool box consists of a pair of pliers and a flathead screwdriver). I wouldn't even think of having a shop put 'em on.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 12:15 PM
Duramax Lifetime Supporter

I too have installed the 5100s on my dually and have very happy with them.

Hook is spot on. Changing out the shocks is something that you can do in your driveway with minimal tools.

09 GMC SLT Dually
Steel Gray Metallic
All options except sunroof

Mods so far:

Alcoa 19.5s with Michelin XZE, Centramatics,Tow Mirrors, Chrome Grill Overlay, Rear underseat storage, Mudflaps all corners, 20% Window tint, 6" Oval Steps, B&W Turnover Hitch, B&W Companion Hitch, Sulastics, GM Campaign #PIT3009J, Wireless Console Charging, Bilstein 5100s, Raptor 3602RL
DF DRW Club Member #161
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOld View Post
I live in a very rural part on Northern Ca so i normally buy online.
Thank ToOld
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+absorber,7556

Bilsteins are super expensive. The Gabriel "Max". are $40.

Gabriels are a good shock, and a good value.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 01:24 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Bilsteins are Lifer Warranty

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:00 PM

I run Bilstein 5100s all around. I am super happy with them. Price is very reasonable compared to others out there.

2016 LML Denali 2500
Mcgaughy's 2" drop shackle
Bilstein 5100
22x10 American Force Flux black w machined or Toyos on OEM wheels. Depends on the day of the week
Wehrli S300 kit w/ 66mm SXE
Wehrli CP3 conversion 10mm stroker
Profab Manifold & Up-pipes
Stock Trans For Now
Stock Sticks For Now
Air Dog 165 4G
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 04:20 PM

5100s here as well. Still comfortable but does the job well when I am loaded. I replaced the bump stops as well. They were beyond shot. Both are a very easy install and I am not much of a wrench either.

I bought these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

06 2500HD CCSB 4wd LBZ | Fleece Trans cooler lines |Edge Evolution CTS2 w/ EGT probe| Bilstein 5100s|Michelin Defender LTX M/S LRE| "OEM" Turbo Brake | Airlift # 88275 airbags
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2020, 07:03 PM

I put the Bilstein 4600's on the front of my crew cab dually last month. I have air bags and haul heavy. Probably wouldn't hurt on the rear either but it is stiff enough it doesn't bounce up and down all the time.

Wish I had installed them when I first bought the truck. There was nothing wrong with the OEM shocks when I pulled them off, they're just way too lame for a heavy, hard working truck.

2012 3500 4X4 CCLB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode