Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

steering gear box

18K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  NateScott 
#1 ·
2003 2500HD Silverado/Duramax lifted 6” w/ 35’s: issue is too much play in steering. Not tight. I replaced most everything but the steering gear box. My state requires inspection, and often like to fail the pitman and idler arm. So all that is pretty new…tie rods, idler arm, pitman, stabilizer and added some special braces made for this truck (conito or something if I remember). Anyway, should I go for the steering gear box next? Should have done it when I did the other stuff I guess. Thanks

#2 ·
If your steering is loose and your tie rods, pitman, and idler are all tight then it is probably time for a new steering gear. It is easier to do the pitman and steering gear at the same time because you have to remove the pitman to replace the steering gear, but not mandatory. Although, depending on what steering gear you go with you might have to change the pitman due to difference in spline count.

#3 ·
Do the steering ear boxes have the screw in the top with a lock nut I tried to look at mine but couldnt see if it did. In the old days we could tighten the play in the gear box by that allen head. Not sure if there still like that. Mine is leaking a little fluid so looks like I'll be ordering a seal kit soon!

#4 ·
Guess they do, this is how I tightened my play in another truck I had. Doesnt take much and it only lasts a few years lifted trucks are hard on gears. Looks like the Boxes run $225 for a reman, and $650 for a new one.

Attachments

#5 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll look and see if there is an adjustment. It's been a year since I did the work, and I don't remember what it looks like. Or maybe I'll just order a new gear box anyway. I found one (think its red head). Looked to me heavy duty, or at least they claimed it to be.

#6 ·
If you adjust the allen head, have someone slightly move the steering wheel left and right with the engine OFF. Do this until there is almost no play leave some so its not tight gear to gear. Use a good quality power steering fluid as well, these are not the steering boxes of old.

#9 ·
I have same issue and adjustment on gearbox didn't help. I plan to order Redhead 2872 ND for my LBZ by end of this month and install it. Hopefully I get good results. Sucks that I have to remove PISK again to get gearbox out.

#11 ·
Check out Blue-Top Steering Gears. This guy use to work for Red Head but started his own business in North Dakota and just built a brand new facility. I sent him a gear to rebuild and he rebuilt it the same day he got it then shipped back the next day. Quality work done quickly for a fair price. I would never buy a reman from a parts store since you never know what you are going to get.

#12 ·
If you go new on the steering box might want to check out the PSC steering box, brand new and heavier duty with about the same cost.

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.