Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Best shocks

141K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  gregwall1 
#1 ·
Looking to replace the worn shocks on my 2008 Silverado 2500HD. It is completely stock and I use it mainly for towing my 32' travel trailer or 20' car hauler and daily driving during the winter months. Recommendations?

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

#2 ·
I like Bilstein, I've had good luck with them. I may try Fox shocks shortly on my lifted truck.

Reactions: steve37887
#3 ·
Bilstein 4600 (good replacement) or their 5100 (bit firmer than stock) I don't think I've heard anyone not like them?

#5 ·
I run Bilstein 5100s on mine, no complaints.

#6 ·
Anybody running stock height with Fox shocks?

#8 ·
Bilstein 5100s are my favorite shocks. The valving is different on the 4600s & 5100s. & 5100s aren't just for lifted trucks. 4600s have the "HD" valving while the 5100s have the "off road" valving. Based on the info from Bilstein & my own personal experience 5100s aren't as firm as the 4600s HD.

The Rancho 9000 adjustable shocks are nice but I felt they weren't great for towing & didn't last as long as my previous Bilstein shocks.

#10 ·
I've had good luck with the Bilstein 5100's. I tried the Rancho 9000 adjustable ride and wasn't impressed. I thought the 4600 Bilstein's were oil and he 5100's were gas, but I'm no expert. I've towed my old TT and now my 5th with 5100's and I can't complain. with the ride, loaded or unloaded.

#11 ·
I recently put Bilstein 5160s on the rear which seem like 5100s with a remote reservoir. I replaced King 2.5 resi - adjustable compression shocks (found them for a deal on Ebay new or would not have dropped that $ but needed longer after lifting). I cannot tell a difference. Maybe I'm insensitive. I found the 5160s for $100 each on Amazon. I would recommend them.

#13 ·
Bilsteins are not just for lifted trucks.
I was happy with mine at stock height and now lifted.

#14 ·
I have Fox all the way around. Dual with hoops up front and singles in the back. Rides great and after 7 years they've really held up great. The finish has worn a little but they still look 8/10. This is the same setup I had on my '03 Chevy Duramax and those looked great for 6 years before I sold that truck.

#21 ·
Both the 4600 & 5100's are charged with the same PSI of Nitrogen (360psi iirc). A 4600 next to the same length 5100 application wise, are valved the same. Where the 5100 starts getting different valving is the leveling shock and longer, where the valving is set for larger tires etc. The 4600HD was designed for a stock height truck, where the 5100's were mainly designed for lifted trucks.., even though they offer a 0-2" "Leveling shock".

"The Bilstein 4600 Series Shock is an instant upgrade in suspension performance and handling for your truck or SUV. The 4600 Series provides incredible increases in handling, control, performance, plus comfort that is unrivaled by OEM shocks.

Features Include:
*Monotube gas pressure construction
*Improved ride and handling
*Added traction and enhanced stability
*Increased performance, even when hauling or towing heavy loads.
*Road-tested and fine-tuned by Bilstein for each vehicle specific application

Bilstein's 5100 Series Shocks offer world-renowned Bilstein performance and technology for lifted truck, Jeep, and prerunner applications. The 5100 Series features Bilstein's super high-performance, single-tube, high gas pressure design that provides the pinnacle in consistency, fade-free performance, and longevity.

Features Include:
*Monotube gas pressure construction
*Self-adjusting deflecting disc valving
*High-flow piston reduces harshness
*Independent rebound and compression tuning
*Larger working piston area for exact damping
*Superior control for large diameter tires
*Designed for specific manufacturer lift kits using the stock OEM mounting configuration"

#22 ·
So are the 4600hd and 5100 for 0-2" leveling stock the same or are the 51's longer. Half my issues is 2" drop shackles and those shocks. Fronts are great...rears not so much

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

#28 ·
So are the 4600hd and 5100 for 0-2" leveling stock the same or are the 51's longer. Half my issues is 2" drop shackles and those shocks. Fronts are great...rears not so much
I am also 2" drop shackled in the rear and want to upgrade the factory suspension to 5100's. Which shock was recommended for this application?

#23 ·
At first I didn't know Bilstein offered the 0-2" leveling shock until I called them.
I had to raise the front 3 1/2" just to get close to level, the 2" extension just didn't do the job.
I ended up with getting the 0-2" shock for leveling and used the extension, they was very helpful explaining measuring and up and down travel needed.

Of course the ride sucked, I ended up doing a 4" lift with Bilsteins suggested by Cognito.

You might give them a phone call, talk to tech support, I'm pretty sure they'll have options for what you need.

#24 ·
I'll let you know how much of a difference these 5100s make. My Fabtechs are toast!

#26 ·
On my Wrangler, I used several shocks- Old Man Emu, ELKA, Fox, OEM, Rancho 9000 XLs, and Bilstein 5100s. The Ranchos are excellent and compliant so a top pick. The 5100 are a bit firmer but have the best valving so actually feel very smooth. The rest are Meh....unsophisticated valving and sub-par high-speed compression.

#29 ·
I've got 5100s in the front and honestly they ride horrific.

Barely cranked, they rode much better with a ranch hand on.

If anyone wanted to trade 4600s or Ranchos for 5100s I'd be willing to try it. I've got about 6k on them.

#30 ·
I will not adjust the torsion bars in the front. Ride quality is important to me. Thus why I leveled using the drop shackles for now. I will be towing more this summer so I may have to either adjust the drop shackle to 1" or go back to factory if the rear sags too much. Either way, need to get the shocks replaced with 165k kms on them now.

#31 ·
I have a brand new Z71 with the stock Rancho shocks and am not impressed by the ride quality. Can anyone recommend a shock that has a better on-road ride? I've had Bilstein 5100s on previous half-tons and they rode better than stock but I'm not sure if that's the case on the HDs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.