2006 is too high in the front - Page 9 - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
Suspension&Steering Discuss what Mods for the suspension & steering are right for you.

6Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Taking the air out of the bags! Brilliant! I guess that is why you are called a Duramax Fanatic. I'm going to have to try that. I do carry around a little pancake compressor to adjust the bags. I also bought a crappy 12V one off Amazon, but it really struggles. As it stands I left my left and right bags independent, so that means always switching the compressor (it threads on). I could just run them together.

I do have boards to drive on to, so there is that option too.

2006 Silverado 2500HD CrewCab 4x4 (LLY)
Bone Stock for now

Last edited by johnniemo; 06-02-2019 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:34 PM
DuramaxForum Fanatic

If you have a actual camper in your truck, something like a cab over camper, then itís usually a good idea to have the rear bags with separate airlines.
Even on a motor home where one side could be heavier than the other side, separate airlines is suggested left and right.
BUT
On a truck with a 5th wheel, gooseneck, ball mount where the weight is centered on the rear, single line going to both airbags is really all you need.

The airbag companies will tell you this on both ways depending on your situation.
Air will transfer side to side back and forth in the bags as you lean into a curve, dip with a single line.
One gauge with single line or 2 gauge with dual lines.

Some will still go with separate lines anyway because this makes them feel safer.

First picture (not all that great) is for dual lines bags thereís a red needle for right side black needle for left side, dual control.
I have this on my MH.

Bottom picture is on my truck, single line, what I like about this one is it always maintains no less than 5 psi in the bags at all times.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F30142B1-07A9-487B-AAC2-B3DDA3B523CA.jpeg (13.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg D4C0267C-B33D-4B35-AF7A-1113855046D0.jpg (50.1 KB, 24 views)

Dan
2007.5 GMC Sierra 3500 SRW L.B. "BLACK" C.C. 4X4 LMM Z71
DIY stock airbox mod, aFe ProGuard 7, OEM drop-in
EFILive ECM ATP - Heavy Tow Tune with Turbo Brake.
EFILive TCM Duramax Tuner
AirDog 4G100
DHD PCV re-route

2007 Yukon Denail "BLACK" 6.2 gasser
DIY stock AirBox Mod, K&N, Airaid intake, EFILive TCM only tuning
post #83 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 07:38 PM
LHN...We ARE the Joneses

Send a message via Yahoo to Hook'em_Horns! Send a message via Skype™ to Hook'em_Horns!
Quote:
but it really struggles
It must be a whole new level of crap. It hardly takes any air to change the psi on 'em.
A manual bike pump will do it, in seconds.

2007 LBZ 3500 LT3 DRW Crew Cab, Sulastics, Putnam XDR 15K, B&W 30K-Turnover GN+Companion, Ride-Rite Air...EFI'd by Rob
2008 LMM 3500WT DRW Crew Cab, 8 'Flat/GN, Workforce Alum Toolbox, Ride-Rite Air

Use-ta Haves 2006-6.0 3500 WT DRW ExCab Flatbed, 2005-LLY 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab, 2002-LB7 3500 LS DRW Crew Cab
I Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh shit, he's awake!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook'em_Horns! View Post
It must be a whole new level of crap. It hardly takes any air to change the psi on 'em.
A manual bike pump will do it, in seconds.
Well it maxes out at 58psi, and takes several minutes to get there, even on one bag. So long as that is all I want, it should be fine. My plan was to go this year and see how often I was screwing with the bags (and the tires) and then decide what the best approach might be. For now the pancake compressor can fill it in seconds.

Here is the dumpy thing here:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has the digital readout so I was thinking I could just set it to the pressure I want it to maintain and have a power switch. It would always keep whatever pressure I want. It was going to be my poor man's solution, but then it sucked.

Bone Stock for now
post #85 of 89 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R_C View Post

The airbag companies will tell you this on both ways depending on your situation.
Air will transfer side to side back and forth in the bags as you lean into a curve, dip with a single line.
One gauge with single line or 2 gauge with dual lines.
This is an interesting thought experiment. With the bags sharing the same supply, a corner would have the air transfer from the outside bag to the inside bag, resulting in a more aggressive lean than you would otherwise have. This seems like a pretty good reason to keep them separate. With that said, this situation is pretty remote given that I'm not racing with this rig.

Bone Stock for now

Last edited by johnniemo; 06-02-2019 at 09:13 PM.
post #86 of 89 (permalink) Unread 06-18-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2006 is too high in the front

Did my first big tow this weekend. I weighed the rig and got the following results:

Front axle: 4387 lbs
Rear axle: 5654 lbs
Trailer axles: 8096 lbs

GCW: 18147 lbs (trailer works out to about 10,500).

I had 60psi in the rear tires and 60psi in the bags. The tow was incredibly mundane. I was shocked at how stable it was.

Truck rides very level now and Iím very happy with it. Mileage was shockingly good varying from 14 to 18 MPG.

Bone Stock for now
post #87 of 89 (permalink) Unread 06-18-2019, 05:34 PM
Finally! Wheels on!

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bus
Looking for OBS interior parts: Graphite color code. (1999-2004 IIRC) Door panels for sure, but let me know what you have

RedNeck Dually Build Thread
Dually Club Member #191
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERWATCH_09 View Post
The perfect storm of incompetence....Nothing more dangerous than a redneck with money.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose2448 View Post
It's really complicated sounding, but it's easier than giving a fat girl a bucket of ice cream.
post #88 of 89 (permalink) Unread 06-18-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemo View Post
Did my first big tow this weekend. I weighed the rig and got the following results:

Front axle: 4387 lbs
Rear axle: 5654 lbs
Trailer axles: 8096 lbs

GCW: 18147 lbs (trailer works out to about 10,500).

I had 60psi in the rear tires and 60psi in the bags. The tow was incredibly mundane. I was shocked at how stable it was.

Truck rides very level now and Iím very happy with it. Mileage was shockingly good varying from 14 to 18 MPG.
You're not calculating something correctly, no way in hell you will 14 - 18 mpg pulling 10,000 lbs. Probably closer to 10-12

2015.5 Silverado 3500HD LTZ Z71 SRW
Summit White
275/65/20 Duratrac's on Black WORX Beast II Wheels
Edge Insight CTS2
Cognito UCA's, Idler, Tie Rods.
Back Flip Tonneau Cover
Ride Rites/ Wireless Compressor
EchoMaster IntelliHaul Camera System
22K Reese

post #89 of 89 (permalink) Unread 06-18-2019, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockn69 View Post
You're not calculating something correctly, no way in hell you will 14 - 18 mpg pulling 10,000 lbs. Probably closer to 10-12
You are correct. Not sure how I got that number. It is around 10 MPG. Thanks for catching that. That will teach me to do it in my head.

Bone Stock for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in